Geert Hofstede's 6-D model of national culture

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, Geert Hofstede's 6-D model is a framework for understanding and comparing cultural differences between countries. It consists of six dimensions that are based on extensive research and provide insight into how cultures differ in values, behaviors, and beliefs. The 6-D model helps in understanding cultural differences by providing a structured and comprehensive framework for analysis and comparison. However, it has limitations such as its focus on only six dimensions and oversimplification of cultural differences. It can be applied in a practical setting to understand cultural differences in business, communication, and leadership. It should not be used to stereotype cultures, but rather as a starting point for understanding.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
"But everybody, of course, instinctively feels and should feel that their country, or whatever their tribe is, is the best in the world. If you don’t feel that, then you will be an unhappy person."
That quote be true, yet we are so different. The quote is from a Freakonomics Podcast. That led me to the web site
https://geerthofstede.com/culture-geert-hofstede-gert-jan-hofstede/6d-model-of-national-culture/

I think that these cultural differences and the insights they provide are very interesting. For example, that Sweden is at the extreme in 4 of the 6 dimensions. Also, that Australia and the USA (and UK, Canada, and NZ) are much alike. Malaysia is like China in 3 dimensions, but very different in 3 dimensions. France and Germany also split 50% of the time. I hope that this data might stimulate non-volatile discussion on PF. If I'm wrong about that, the mentors will close this thread. No partisan politics or nationalism please.

On the web site you can find more detailed explanations and discussions. So if you have questions on the definitions or the data, go to the web site rather than post questions here. You can also download Hofstede's data for 111 countries here. I can also recommend listening to the whole podcast, for numerous clarifying examples of the meanings of the dimensions.

For purposes of PF discussion, I did the following.
  • I selected 12 interesting countries to compare.
  • I included the shortest versions of the definitions of the 6 dimensions.
  • I added arbitrary colors to make it easy to compare one country across the dimensions. For example, the bar for USA is red in all 6 graphs.
1670176602555.png

1670183570400.png

1670183588794.png

1670183653082.png

1670183759189.png

1670183839796.png

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Physics news on Phys.org
"But everybody, of course, instinctively feels and should feel that their country, or whatever their tribe is, is the best in the world. If you don’t feel that, then you will be an unhappy person."

I call BS. I neither think PL to be the best in the world* nor I am an unhappy.

Actually thinking "your country is the best in the world" is one of the most dangerous things there are. That's what most nationalisms are built on.

*Reasonably good, but with plenty of things to improve. I don't plan on moving anywhere else, but that's a completely different thing.

Likes russ_watters, weirdoguy, jedishrfu and 3 others
I have a completely opposite opinion. The American fetish to consider themselves as the best country in the world is in my mind the main obstacle to achieving any improvement at all. If you think you are best, then why even think about improvements? Happiness is not related to my view of my country.

Likes mfb and BillTre
Borek said:
I call BS. I neither think PL to be the best in the world* nor I am an unhappy.

Actually thinking "your country is the best in the world" is one of the most dangerous things there are. That's what most nationalisms are built on.
I fully agree. There are indeed large groups who sees the world that way (it is certainly quite a common belief here in the UK) but it is certainly not universally true,. It also seems to imply a worldview where everything is a competition and being "the best" is for whatever reason really important; to me that just sounds exhausting....

Likes russ_watters, BillTre and fresh_42
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Hofstede

fresh_42 said:
I have a completely opposite opinion. The American fetish to consider themselves as the best country in the world is in my mind the main obstacle to achieving any improvement at all. If you think you are best, then why even think about improvements? Happiness is not related to my view of my country.
I consider the USA as the best country in the world: Europe is still "in debt", grateful with America for rescue from First and Second World Wars. That's my opinion.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
mcastillo356 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_HofstedeI consider the USA as the best country in the world: Europe is still "in debt", grateful with America for rescue from First and Second World Wars. That's my opinion.
Yes, you are probably an American. This view is lazy. It prevents you from reflecting. I prefer an unarmed society, free education, and universal healthcare. That is my opinion.

Concerning the wars, well, that is also an ignorant, propagandistic, and wrong view of the world. American warfare and its reasons fill volumes, not a single line. Lookup Lusitania, or weapons of mass destruction. It is not as easy as you want to make-believe. And I am pretty sure that we are not fully informed to make such a decision on our own.

Last edited:
Likes mcastillo356
mcastillo356 said:
I consider the USA as the best country in the world

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and mcastillo356
fresh_42 said:
This view is lazy. It prevents you from reflecting. I prefer an unarmed society, free education, and universal healthcare. That is my opinion.
Vladimir Putin thanks you for your support.

• Skeptical
Likes mcastillo356 and weirdoguy
Frabjous said:
Vladimir Putin thanks you for your support.
What nonsense! And you want to discuss philosophy with such a poor understanding of logic?

This thread will be closed. It is inherently political. And we have already intolerance and Godwin's law in post number eight!

Likes Rive and weirdoguy

1. What is Geert Hofstede's 6-D model of national culture?

Geert Hofstede's 6-D model of national culture is a framework for understanding and comparing cultural differences between countries. It is based on six dimensions: power distance, individualism-collectivism, masculinity-femininity, uncertainty avoidance, long-term orientation, and indulgence-restraint.

2. How was the 6-D model developed?

The 6-D model was developed by Geert Hofstede through a series of surveys and studies conducted in the 1970s and 1980s. He analyzed data from over 100,000 IBM employees in 50 countries and identified six cultural dimensions that could be used to describe and compare national cultures.

3. What is the purpose of the 6-D model?

The purpose of the 6-D model is to provide a framework for understanding and comparing cultural differences between countries. It can be used by individuals, organizations, and governments to gain insight into the values, beliefs, and behaviors of different cultures and to improve cross-cultural communication and cooperation.

4. How does the 6-D model differ from other cultural models?

The 6-D model differs from other cultural models in that it is based on empirical data rather than theoretical assumptions. It also focuses on six specific dimensions, whereas other models may include more or less dimensions. Additionally, the 6-D model is constantly evolving and has been updated multiple times since its initial development.

5. What are some criticisms of the 6-D model?

Some criticisms of the 6-D model include its reliance on data from a specific group (IBM employees) and its potential to perpetuate cultural stereotypes. Additionally, some argue that the model oversimplifies complex cultural differences and does not account for individual variations within a culture. Others argue that the model is not applicable to non-Western cultures or to younger generations who may have different values and behaviors.