Geiger counter and low-energy x-rays

In summary, the speaker has a geiger counter with a sensitivity to x-rays down to 30kev. They are wondering about the significance of this number and whether all x-ray photons will register a count regardless of their energy. They also question if the 30kev minimum is to ensure accurate radiation detection. The speaker is also considering using the meter as a qualitative test for danger in their experiment, which produces x-rays from 20-30kev. They mention the voltage they are using and its potential to produce photons within the geiger counter's detection range.
Plat
I have a geiger counter, the specifications say it is sensitive to x-rays down to 30kev. I wonder where that number comes from? Am I correct in thinking that any x-ray photon that enters the geiger tube will register a count, regardless of it's energy? Perhaps the 30kev minimum is there to ensure that the amount of radiation being detected is accurate? What do you think? There is a large attenuation loss due to the glass walls of the geiger tube at lower energies.

I ask because I wonder if the meter would be suitable as a qualitative test for danger from my experiment, which could be producing x-rays from 20-30kev. Thanks for your thoughts.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds to me the spec is saying that below 30kevs the instrument sensitivity will start to drop off and so accuracy isn't guaranteed in that range.

Just what I was thinking. I wish I had an xray source of known energy to test it with. But from a physics standpoint, there is no reason to believe that a 20kev photon will not ionize the gas in the geiger tube, assuming it penetrates the wall?

The voltage I am using may well be over 30kev, and therefore make photons that the meter is designed to detect. It is pulsed DC from an automotive ignition coil, and arcs more than 3.2cm in air. Some info I am finding online says this should exceed 30kv judgeing by the arc length.

What is a Geiger counter and how does it work?

A Geiger counter is a device used to detect and measure ionizing radiation, such as low-energy x-rays. It works by using a gas-filled tube that becomes ionized when radiation passes through it. This ionization creates an electrical charge that is detected and amplified by the counter, producing an audible or visual signal.

Can a Geiger counter detect low-energy x-rays?

Yes, a Geiger counter can detect low-energy x-rays. However, it may not be as sensitive to them as it is to other types of radiation, such as gamma rays.

What are the limitations of using a Geiger counter to measure low-energy x-rays?

One limitation of using a Geiger counter for low-energy x-rays is that it may not be able to distinguish between different types of radiation. This means that it may detect other types of radiation as well, making it difficult to accurately measure the amount of low-energy x-rays present. Additionally, the results from a Geiger counter may not always be precise or consistent.

How can a Geiger counter be used in medical settings?

In medical settings, a Geiger counter can be used to measure the amount of low-energy x-rays emitted by medical equipment, such as X-ray machines. It can also be used to monitor the amount of radiation exposure for medical personnel and patients.

Is a Geiger counter the only way to detect low-energy x-rays?

No, there are other methods for detecting low-energy x-rays, such as using a scintillation counter or a semiconductor detector. However, a Geiger counter is one of the most commonly used and affordable options for measuring low-energy x-rays.