Radiation or electrical interference? Geiger counter

In summary, the speaker is conducting an experiment with electrical discharges at low pressure and using a geiger counter to check for x-rays. They are experiencing issues with RF noise from the tesla coil and are wondering how to determine if the geiger counter is picking up x-rays. The range of x-rays depends on their energy, with low-energetic x-rays being absorbed by the glass. The speaker suggests using aluminum foil for shielding.
Plat
First, I hope this is the correct place for this question.

I am experimenting with electrical discharges at low pressure, think plasma globe, and I bought a geiger counter to make sure I am not producing x-rays. My vacuum pump is rated down to 5 pascals. The problem is that the geiger counter is set off by the RF noise from the tesle coil. Using grounded metal shielding reduces this noise is greatly, but how can I tell if the geiger counter is in fact picking up x-rays?

Currently the counter only picks up a reading when very close to the discharge. X-rays should still be strong at more than 10-20cm from the source, right? The geiger counter also only goes off when using the tesle coil, and reads nothing when I use a high voltage DC supply. What do you think?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Plat said:
X-rays should still be strong at more than 10-20cm from the source, right?
Depends on the energy range, but low-energetic x-rays won't go through the glass. At 1 keV, the range in air is just a few millimeters. For 10 keV this increases to more than a meter.

Aluminium foil could absorb electromagnetic interference while not absorbing too much x-rays (compared to the glass).

Absorption values from here.

Thanks, sounds like if they were able to escape the glass, then I would be picking them up farther away. The metal shielding is actually counter-productive in some cases because it just makes a bigger target for induction by rhe emf.

1. What is radiation and how does it impact us?

Radiation is energy that is emitted in the form of particles or waves. It can come from natural sources, such as the sun and radioactive materials, or from man-made sources, such as X-rays and nuclear power plants. Exposure to high levels of radiation can be harmful to our health, causing damage to cells and DNA.

2. How does a Geiger counter detect radiation?

A Geiger counter is a type of radiation detector that uses a gas-filled tube to detect and measure radiation. When radiation enters the tube, it ionizes the gas, creating an electrical pulse. This pulse is amplified and counted by the Geiger counter, which then displays the results on a screen.

3. What types of radiation can a Geiger counter detect?

A Geiger counter can detect three types of radiation: alpha, beta, and gamma. Alpha particles are heavy and can be stopped by a sheet of paper, while beta particles are lighter and can be stopped by a thin sheet of metal. Gamma rays are the most penetrating and require thicker shielding, such as lead, to block them.

4. Can a Geiger counter be affected by electrical interference?

Yes, a Geiger counter can be affected by electrical interference, which can result in false readings. This can occur when the device is near electronic equipment, power lines, or other sources of electromagnetic radiation. To reduce the risk of interference, make sure to use the Geiger counter in an area with minimal electrical activity.

5. How can I protect myself from radiation exposure?

There are several ways to protect yourself from radiation exposure. One is to limit your exposure by minimizing your use of radiation-emitting devices, such as X-ray machines and cell phones. You can also wear protective gear, such as lead aprons, when working with or around sources of radiation. Additionally, maintaining a safe distance from radiation sources and following safety guidelines can help reduce your risk of exposure.