General approach to find principal axes of rotation?

In summary, this mathematician finds that there is a general method to find the principal axes of rotation. He first calculates the inertia tensor and finds the eigenvectors of the inertia tensor. Then, he assumes that there is a plane of material symmetry and defines an exis perpendicular to the plane. Finally, he finds that the exis is a principle axis for the rotation.
Mind----Blown
Suppose i have an equilateral triangle and i want to find the principal axes of rotation passing through one of the vertex. How can i do that? I am thinking along the following lines but I'm not too sure:

1)Since the equilateral triangle has symmetry about a median, that definitely is one principal axis.

2)Now, i want 2 axes such that those 2 axes and the centroidal axis which i found above are mutually perpendicular. The problem now, however, is that i don't have any "symmetry" to rely on. Sure i COULD think along this line now :

"if i rotate the triangle 360 degrees about one of the sides, i would return to the original configuration, so let me choose that as one of the axis, which leaves me with only one choice for the third axis and voila!"

But i am not too sure of my approach in 2nd point since it just doesn't seem right; rotating an object 360 degrees to get the original configuration isn't really a symmetry!

1) So, is there some fool-proof way i can use (and be 100% certain of being correct) to determine principal axes of rotation?

2) Maybe mathematical?

3) Also, how reliable is this symmetry approach i follow?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a general method to find the principal axes:

(1) First, calculate the inertia tensor. This mathworld site gives a definition of how to calculate the tensor, but it is basically:

upload_2017-4-27_19-52-38.png

(2) Find the eigenvectors of the inertia tensor. The eigenvectors point in the direction of the principal axes, and the eigenvalues are the moment of inertia about these three axes.

First specify how mass is distributed in the triangleAnyway the following two theorems will be useful for you.

1) Let ##S## be a center of mass of a rigid body and ##J_S## be the operator of inertia about ##S##. If ##\ell,\quad S\in \ell## is the principle axis for ##J_S## then for each point ##A\in \ell## the exis ##\ell## is the principle axis for ##J_A##.

2) Assume that ##\Pi## is a plane of material symmetry of the rigid body and let ##A\in \Pi##. Define an exis ##\ell## to be perpendicular to ##\Pi## and ##A\in\ell##. Then ##\ell## is a principle axis for ##J_A##.

Last edited:
thanks!

1. What is the general approach to finding principal axes of rotation?

The general approach to finding principal axes of rotation involves using mathematical techniques, such as eigenvalue decomposition or singular value decomposition, to determine the axis or axes of rotation that best represent the distribution of points or data in a given system.

2. Why is it important to find principal axes of rotation?

Finding principal axes of rotation is important in many scientific and engineering applications, as it allows for a more efficient and accurate representation of data or systems. It can also help identify patterns and relationships within the data.

3. What are some common methods used to find principal axes of rotation?

Some common methods used to find principal axes of rotation include the principal component analysis, the moment of inertia tensor, and the polar decomposition method. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific application.

4. How do you interpret the results of finding principal axes of rotation?

The results of finding principal axes of rotation can be interpreted as the directions of maximum variance or spread in a given system. The axis with the highest eigenvalue or singular value represents the direction with the most significant impact on the overall distribution of points, while the other axes represent less significant directions.

5. Can principal axes of rotation change over time?

Yes, principal axes of rotation can change over time in dynamic systems. As the distribution of points or data changes, the principal axes may also shift or rotate. This is particularly important in fields such as robotics and structural engineering, where the orientation of objects or structures may change over time.