Question on Moment of Inertia Tensor of a Rotating Rigid Body

In summary, the question asks for the moment of inertia of a system comprising of a number of thin rigid body mini systems, with each mini system having its own axis of rotation. The answer is that the moment of inertia for each mini system should be added together to get the total moment of inertia for the system.
warhammer
Homework Statement
A rigid body consists of three thin rigid (assume massless) rods of length 21, welded at their midpoints, in three mutually perpendicular directions, with point masses at their ends. If this object is placed such that the rod along the x axis has masses 3M at the ends, the rods along y-axis have masses M at their ends and the rod along z axis has masses 2M at the ends, calculate the principal moments of inertia.

(See picture attached below)
Relevant Equations
Picture attached below showcasing my attempt at the solution.
Hi.

So I was asked the following question whose picture is attached below along with my attempt at the solution.

Now my doubt is, since the question refers to the whole system comprising of these thin rigid body 'mini systems', should the Principle moments of Inertia about the respective axes be added together to give the solution in context of the 'total' rigid body systems? Or should we leave it by simply calculating the Principle moments of inertia for each body aligned at some axis about all the 3 axes?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210413-150137_Classroom.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-150137_Classroom.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20210413-150023_Classroom.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-150023_Classroom.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 97
Physics news on Phys.org
1618310423206.png
what does this try to say ?

21 should be ##2L## (and ##a## should be ##0##) !

1618310286142.png
I don't see where the ##2\over 5## comes from ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
what does this try to say ?

For each pair of masses, the products of inertia turn out to be zero since the alignment is with the coordinate axes.

BvU said:
I don't see where the 2/5 comes from ?
That's the form for moment of inertia of a solid sphere about it's diameter which comes out as 2/5 M*R^2

warhammer said:
For each pair of masses, the products of inertia turn out to be zero since the alignment is with the coordinate axes.
Ah, 'pair' was hard to read. The off-diagonal elements of the ##I## tensor are zero, yes.
1618314977910.png

warhammer said:
That's the form for moment of inertia of a solid sphere about it's diameter which comes out as 2/5 M*R^2
There are no spheres, only point masses. There is no R.

1618315840534.png
So that is zero.
warhammer said:
should the Principle moments of Inertia about the respective axes be added together
Yes. For the complete rigid object you have to add all three ##I_{zz}##. See the definition here .

1618316033633.png
this last one is ##I_zz##

so you get ##I_{zz} = 8ML^2##. etc. All in all, not a very hard exercise, but good to go through at least once !##\ ##

BvU said:
Ah, 'pair' was hard to read. The off-diagonal elements of the ##I## tensor are zero, yes.
View attachment 281476There are no spheres, only point masses. There is no R.So that is zero.

Yes. For the complete rigid object you have to add all three ##I_{zz}##. See the definition here .this last one is ##I_zz##

so you get ##I_{zz} = 8ML^2##. etc. All in all, not a very hard exercise, but good to go through at least once !##\ ##
Thank you so much for your response. I'm summarising all the mistakes I made just to ensure all holes have been plugged:

1) Rather than spheres those are point masses. So moment of inertia of each is mr^2 where r is the perpendicular distance to rotation axis. Since 3M mass (for instance) is aligned at x-axis so it's I(xx) would be zero. Same would be true for 2M whose I(zz) & M whose I(yy) would also be zero respectively.

2) For the whole body, I need to add all the I(xx) , I(yy) & the I(zz) components together of the 3 rigid body pairs that are specified in figure.
Therefore for the whole the body,
I(xx)=6M*l^2
I(yy)=10M*l^2
I(zz)=8*M*l^2

Hope I've finally got this one right😅

Likes BvU and hutchphd

1. What is the moment of inertia tensor of a rotating rigid body?

The moment of inertia tensor is a mathematical representation of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is a 3x3 matrix that describes how mass is distributed around an object's axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia tensor calculated?

The moment of inertia tensor can be calculated by summing the products of each mass element in the object, the squared distance from the element to the axis of rotation, and the direction cosines of the element's position vector.

3. What is the difference between the moment of inertia tensor and the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia tensor is a more general representation of an object's resistance to rotation, taking into account all three axes of rotation. The moment of inertia, on the other hand, only describes the object's resistance to rotation around a single axis.

4. How does the moment of inertia tensor affect the rotational motion of an object?

The moment of inertia tensor affects the rotational motion of an object by determining its angular acceleration in response to a given torque. Objects with a higher moment of inertia tensor will have a slower angular acceleration, while objects with a lower moment of inertia tensor will have a faster angular acceleration.

5. Can the moment of inertia tensor change for a rotating rigid body?

Yes, the moment of inertia tensor can change if the mass distribution of the object changes, or if the object's axis of rotation changes. However, for a rigid body with a fixed mass and axis of rotation, the moment of inertia tensor will remain constant.