General Chemistry 2 for physics major?

In summary: Would you recommend dropping Chem 2 for the fall semester, and picking up an intro to proof based mathematics course?Most of my fellow students are engineers and they are only required to take Chem 1, but the physics degree lists Chem 2 as a recommended course. Either way, is this something that would prevent me from taking any third year courses that have it as a pre-req?It is possible to take Chem 2 later if needed, but I would recommend picking up a proof-based course first.
QuarkCharmer
Did any of you take General Chemistry 2 as part of a physics degree? Most of my fellow students are engineers and they are only required to take Chem 1, but the physics degree lists Chem 2 as a recommended course. Either way, is this something that would prevent me from taking any third year courses that have it as a pre-req?

I am debating on dropping that class for the fall semester to pick up an intro to proof based mathematics course. (Though, I will take it later if I must).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm majoring in physics and chem I and II are required.

At my uni all physics majors had to take a year-long general chem course, the 2nd semester was mostly equilibrium/thermochemistry, and in all honestly I felt like learned more (conceptual) thermodynamics there than I did in the designated 2nd year course on the subject.

What is the course content like? Do you see yourself making better use out of a math course?

Well, it's required for the degree, so I will take Chem II, (which yes, is thermochem et al). I am just not sure if not having it now, will prevent me from taking any courses. I didn't see anywhere that Chem II was a pre-req for anything, but I could have missed something. I can do Chem II whenever, but I was thinking that replacing it next semester with a proof based course would help me out in the long run.

Yea physics majors are required to take Chem 2, while us engineers only need chem 1. Which is a major thank god, because chem 2 for us is a major weed out for pre-meds. The professor who teaches it gives a million assignments and teaches very little, simmilar to my physics I prof.

I feel sorry for chem majors who need chem 2 and physics 1 lol.

Why do so many physics and engineering majors like it when the pre-meds are weeded out? :-p I wonder if engineering majors like it when the physics and math majors are weeded out :biggrin:

HeLiXe said:
Why do so many physics and engineering majors like it when the pre-meds are weeded out? :-p
Because it's always about us vs. them.

HeLiXe said:
I wonder if engineering majors like it when the physics and math majors are weeded out :biggrin:

I honestly never cared very much.

Theres a **** ton of pre-meds. They need to be weeded out through like a 5 layer filtration system.

I think at my school you can take all the math, physics, and all three engineering disciplines and you'd get less people then those in pre-med. Even two of my best friends are premeds and such I know a lot of them by association.

Alot of them are exactly the brightest in the bunch either, but I guess that happens when you have so many people.

Ryker said:
Because it's always about us vs. them.
lol
cjl said:
I honestly never cared very much.
Yeah after I posted this I was thinking there probably aren't enough physics and math majors to make a noticeable difference.
Chunkysalsa said:
Theres a **** ton of pre-meds. They need to be weeded out through like a 5 layer filtration system.
:smile:

cjl said:
Alot of them are exactly the brightest in the bunch either, but I guess that happens when you have so many people.

Yeah I am cool with three pre-med students.. all guys, but there is this girl that hangs out with them and she annoys me to no end with her nonsense -_- They always want to sit by me at lunch and she ALWAYS sits right beside me LOL talking a slew of nonsense. Coincidentally they are all in my chem I class

Of the 2 schools near me that I will eventually transfer to: 1 requires Physics 1 and 2 and only Chem 1; while the other requires Chem 1 and 2 and only Physics 1.
Both are state schools, and this was the BSME curriculum.
At this point, I may take all 4 classes until I decide which school to go to.
To the OP, I was wondering the same questions. Why the discrepancies?

Related to General Chemistry 2 for physics major?

1. What is the purpose of taking General Chemistry 2 for physics majors?

General Chemistry 2 for physics majors is a continuation of the fundamental principles and concepts learned in General Chemistry 1. It provides a deeper understanding of the chemical properties and reactions that are essential for understanding the physical and chemical processes in physics.

2. What are the main topics covered in General Chemistry 2 for physics majors?

The main topics covered in General Chemistry 2 for physics majors include thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibrium, acids and bases, electrochemistry, and atomic structure. These topics are important for understanding the principles of energy, motion, and matter in physics.

3. Are there any prerequisites for taking General Chemistry 2 for physics majors?

Yes, most universities require students to have completed General Chemistry 1 and have a strong foundation in mathematics, including algebra and calculus. It is also beneficial to have a basic understanding of physics concepts and principles.

4. How is General Chemistry 2 for physics majors different from General Chemistry 2 for non-physics majors?

General Chemistry 2 for physics majors focuses on the application of chemistry principles to physical systems and processes. It may also cover more advanced topics and use mathematical equations to analyze chemical reactions. Non-physics majors may have a more general overview of chemistry concepts and may not cover topics specific to physics.

5. What career opportunities are available for students who take General Chemistry 2 for physics majors?

Students who take General Chemistry 2 for physics majors have a strong foundation in both chemistry and physics, making them well-suited for careers in fields such as materials science, chemical engineering, environmental science, and research and development. They may also pursue graduate studies in physics, chemistry, or a related field.