General organic chemistry-acidity.

In summary, the conversation discussed the difference in acidity between ortho and para nitro phenol, with the former being more acidic due to its -I and -M effects. The conversation also addressed the possibility of intramolecular hydrogen bonding in ortho nitro benzoic acid, which may not be possible due to the preferred angles of the bonds. The solution suggested drawing out the bonds and potentially using a model kit to better understand the concept.
harini07

Homework Statement

In
mfcd00007137-medium.png
is more acidic than
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT75cX0p0PJDN6DLbg4OknmfSJ-VgSx530pLeEXzymVuUJCSFfs.png
but In
300px-4-Nitrophenol_acsv.svg.png
(para nitro phenol) is more acidic than
mfcd00011688-medium.png
(ortho nitro phenol) why?

Homework Equations

in ortho nitro benzoic acid due to -I and -M effect it is more acidic than it's para species (-I effect more in ortho position) .

The Attempt at a Solution

In the latter compounds, due to intra molecular H-bonding, para compound is more acidic than that of the ortho compound. my doubt is in ortho nitro benzoic acid, isn't there any intra molecular H-bonding cause a carboxylic acid can form H-bonding so does the nitro compound. please solve my query :/[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
For o-nitro benzoic acid and o-nitro phenol, try drawing out all the bonds (including N-O and O-H bonds) to see what the intramolecular hydrogen bonding looks like. You may see a problem with o-nitrobenzoic acid but not o-nitro phenol.

Ygggdrasil said:
For o-nitro benzoic acid and o-nitro phenol, try drawing out all the bonds (including N-O and O-H bonds) to see what the intramolecular hydrogen bonding looks like. You may see a problem with o-nitrobenzoic acid but not o-nitro phenol.
sorry i don't understand..please explain further :/

Have you tried to draw what Ygg suggested?

Borek said:
Have you tried to draw what Ygg suggested?
5TXTl.gif
ok..this ortho nitro benzoic acid. there is this unwanted -ve sign here.
main-qimg-53eee499d40b785efeb800e853e2f5b9?convert_to_webp=true.gif
where as here in ortho nitro phenol, it could easily form intramolecular H-bonding...sorry! still, i didnt get the point! do explain me! it would be of great help :)

For the nitro benzoic acid, draw the O-H bond. Also, keep in mind the preferred angles for each bond. You should see the problem.

If you're still not getting it, try building a model of you have a model kit.

1. What is acidity in general organic chemistry?

Acidity in general organic chemistry refers to the ability of a molecule to donate a proton (H+) in a chemical reaction. This typically occurs when the molecule has a hydrogen atom attached to an electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen.

2. How is acidity measured in organic chemistry?

Acidity is measured using a scale called pKa, which represents the negative logarithm of the acid dissociation constant. The lower the pKa value, the stronger the acid. This scale allows for comparison of the relative acidity of different molecules.

3. What factors influence the acidity of a molecule in organic chemistry?

The main factors that influence the acidity of a molecule in organic chemistry include the strength of the bond between the hydrogen atom and the electronegative atom, the stability of the resulting ion, and the presence of any nearby electron-withdrawing or electron-donating groups.

4. How does acidity affect the reactivity of molecules in organic chemistry?

The acidity of a molecule can greatly affect its reactivity in chemical reactions. Stronger acids are more likely to donate protons, making them more reactive in reactions involving proton transfer. Acidity can also impact the stability of intermediate products and the overall rate of a reaction.

5. How can we predict the relative acidity of molecules in organic chemistry?

There are several methods for predicting the relative acidity of molecules in organic chemistry, such as using pKa values, analyzing the structure and functional groups present, and considering the electronegativity of the atoms involved. Experimentation and observation of reaction outcomes can also provide insights into the relative acidity of molecules.