Solubility of tartaric acid/sodium tartrate in high vs low pH

In summary, the organic chemist tried to solve the problem of why the tartaric acid was more soluble in a high pH solution than a low pH solution by looking at the principle of le chatelier's. However, they were not able to come up with a satisfactory answer.
roneddy

Homework Statement

So we did a lab in organic chemistry where we did a resolution experiment for enantiomers and in the separatory funnel we had sodium tartrate/tartaric acid left in the aqueous phase of the funnel. It asks why this compound is more soluble in high ph solutions as compared to low ph solution.

Homework Equations

H2C4H4O6(aq) + H2O(l) = H30+(aq) + HC4H4O6-(aq) - disassociation reaction

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The only think i could think of was in terms of le chatelier's principle where you dissociate less in a low ph solution due to excess H+ already present pushing equilibrium towards the reactants, while in a high ph solution the OH- will react with the H+ pushing equilibrium towards the products.

Physics news on Phys.org
roneddy said:
The only think i could think of was in terms of le chatelier's principle where you dissociate less in a low ph solution due to excess H+ already present pushing equilibrium towards the reactants, while in a high ph solution the OH- will react with the H+ pushing equilibrium towards the products.
Bingo.

Ognib! I don't think that answer even if what it says is true is actually by itself explaining anything about the solubility..

About your formula by the way the pKas of tartaric acid are 2.9 and 4.4 so at high pH it will be doubly dissociated.

I really can't think of anything else that would allow it to be more soluble in high ph as compared to low ph.

I'm not saying it needs another explanation, I'm saying it needs an explanation. Yours does not amount to an explanation. Maybe there was one in your head and you have forgotten to write some essential part of it.

For what you say about reactants and products, Well what you call reactants and what you call products is arbitrary. Write your equation the other way round and products become reactants and vice versa. Then the same words that you use would give the opposite conclusion.

epenguin said:
Ognib!
Phenol solubilities in successively stronger bases, bicarbonate < carbonate < hydroxide; I say again, "Bingo."

What is the solubility of tartaric acid in high pH?

The solubility of tartaric acid in high pH is significantly higher than in low pH. This is because tartaric acid is a weak acid and in high pH, it ionizes to form more soluble tartrate ions.

What is the solubility of sodium tartrate in low pH?

The solubility of sodium tartrate in low pH is low. This is because sodium tartrate is a salt of a weak acid and in low pH, it dissociates less, resulting in lower solubility.

How does temperature affect the solubility of tartaric acid/sodium tartrate in high vs low pH?

Generally, increasing temperature increases the solubility of a substance. However, in high pH, the solubility of tartaric acid may decrease with increasing temperature due to the formation of insoluble tartrate salts. In low pH, the solubility of sodium tartrate may slightly increase with increasing temperature due to greater molecular motion and easier dissociation of the salt.

What is the effect of concentration on the solubility of tartaric acid/sodium tartrate in high vs low pH?

In high pH, increasing the concentration of tartaric acid may decrease its solubility due to the formation of insoluble tartrate salts. On the other hand, increasing the concentration of sodium tartrate in low pH may slightly increase its solubility due to increased dissociation of the salt.

Why is the solubility of tartaric acid/sodium tartrate different in high vs low pH?

The solubility of tartaric acid and sodium tartrate is different in high vs low pH because at different pH levels, these substances exist in different forms. In high pH, tartaric acid exists mostly as soluble tartrate ions while in low pH, sodium tartrate exists mostly as undissociated salt molecules. This difference in chemical form affects the solubility of these substances in different pH environments.