General purpose numerical Open Source sofware sought

In summary, the speaker is looking to switch to a more advanced software from Scilab and has narrowed down their choices to four programs, including CERN's ROOT, SciPy, GNU Octave, and Sage CAS. They are open to other suggestions for open source or free numerical or numerical and CAS software. However, the speaker has already tried ROOT and is impressed with its power, flexibility, ease of use, and documentation. They believe it is their top choice.
ManDay
Hello, after having used Scilab for the longer part of a while by now, I'm looking to change over to a functionally more enhanced software but am not yet sure which to choose. I've more or less come down to a choice of four programs, of which I would like you to pick the one which you think is the currently most advanced. If however, you happen to have any other suggestion of an open source or free numerical or numerical and CAS software, go ahead with it.

I hope a few can contribute to this topic although proprietary is more of a standard in the industry.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've made my choice: ROOT.

After trying it for less than an hour (trouble free installation from the ubuntu repositories) I've to say that I'm already more than impressed. It's at the same time very very powerful, flexible and on the other hand easy to pick up and well documented.

I understand the importance of choosing the right software for your research needs. In terms of open source numerical software, each of the options you have listed has its own strengths and limitations. Here are some factors to consider when making your decision:

1. Functionality: Each of the software programs you have listed has its own set of features and capabilities. It is important to determine which features are essential for your research and which software offers them.

2. User-friendliness: It is important to choose a software that is easy to use and has a user-friendly interface, especially if you are new to numerical software. Consider trying out demos or tutorials of each software to see which one you are most comfortable with.

3. Community support: Open source software often has a strong community of users who can provide support and assistance with any issues you may encounter. It is important to choose a software with an active and helpful community.

4. Compatibility: Make sure the software you choose is compatible with your operating system and any other software you may be using for your research.

Based on these factors, I would recommend considering GNU Octave or SciPy. Both have a wide range of features and a large community of users, making them reliable options for your research needs. However, it is ultimately important to choose the software that best meets your specific research requirements. I also suggest exploring other open source options, such as R, Maxima, or Julia, to see if they offer any unique features that may be beneficial for your work.

What is "General purpose numerical Open Source software"?

General purpose numerical Open Source software is a type of software that is designed to perform mathematical and statistical calculations and analyses. It is open source, which means that the source code is freely available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute.

Why is there a demand for "General purpose numerical Open Source software"?

There is a demand for general purpose numerical Open Source software because it provides an affordable and accessible solution for researchers, students, and businesses to perform complex numerical calculations and analyses. It also allows for collaboration and customization, making it a versatile tool for a variety of applications.

What are the benefits of using "General purpose numerical Open Source software"?

The benefits of using general purpose numerical Open Source software include cost-effectiveness, flexibility, and transparency. Since the source code is open and freely available, it can be modified to suit specific needs and there are no licensing fees associated with it.

What are some examples of "General purpose numerical Open Source software"?

Some popular examples of general purpose numerical Open Source software include GNU Octave, R, and Scilab. These programs offer a wide range of mathematical and statistical functions and are used in various fields such as engineering, finance, and data analysis.

How can I get started using "General purpose numerical Open Source software"?

To get started using general purpose numerical Open Source software, you can visit the official websites for the specific software you are interested in and download the latest version. Many programs also offer tutorials and user guides to help beginners get started.