General question about how objects move nature (discrete or continuous?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of motion and speed in 2D physics engines and how it relates to real life. The speaker, a game developer, questions whether there is a smallest step that moving objects do and how objects move on a basic level. They also wonder if it is possible for objects to pass each other at great speeds. Ultimately, the conversation delves into the belief of whether space-time is continuous or discrete.
Anton Velmozhniy
Hello everyone! I hope I write in right forum branch. The reason is that I have a question in my mind for a while. Maybe you can help to understand it.

So, I am game developer, and one time I was using 2d physics engine to simulate motion in game. And I found out that in that engine, for example, 2 objects exist. First object moves with speed X and second with X*2. In this simulation second object just skips 2 times space at a time. And i was curios, is the same thing heppens in real life?

Is it any smallest step that moving objects do? And how are objects move, in basic level? Do they teleport a bit forward? If some object moves 2 times faster then another object is he doing more steps or is he doing jumps for more length? Is it possible for objects to get past each other in great speed if they are doing greater step in movement?

I mean I see how objects moves every day. But how are they doing it on basic level?

I hope I dies not sound very stupid and I hope you will answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far is as known, and certainly as far as we can measure, the belief is that space-time is continuous, not discrete but there ARE those who think otherwise.

1. Is motion in nature discrete or continuous?

The answer to this question is that motion in nature can be both discrete and continuous. Discrete motion refers to motion that occurs in distinct, separate steps or intervals, while continuous motion refers to motion that occurs without interruption or breaks.

2. What determines whether an object moves in a continuous or discrete manner in nature?

The type of motion an object exhibits in nature is determined by a variety of factors, including the object's size, the forces acting upon it, and the environment in which it is moving.

3. Can an object exhibit both continuous and discrete motion at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for an object to exhibit both continuous and discrete motion at the same time. For example, a ball rolling down a hill may exhibit continuous motion as it rolls, but it may also exhibit discrete motion as it bounces over small obstacles in its path.

4. How does the concept of "discrete" and "continuous" apply to the movement of particles?

The movement of particles can be both discrete and continuous, depending on the scale at which they are observed. At a macroscopic level, the movement of particles can appear continuous, but at a microscopic level, it may exhibit discrete movement as particles interact and collide with each other.

5. Does the type of motion an object exhibits change over time?

Yes, the type of motion an object exhibits can change over time. For example, an object dropped from a height may initially exhibit continuous motion as it falls, but as it nears the ground, it may exhibit discrete motion as it bounces or rolls on the surface.