General questions about limits of sequences

In summary, when encountering an indeterminate form, the first step is to remove constants and rewrite in 0/0 or ∞/∞ form or apply e or ln on both sides. This is typically correct, except for cases where the sequence goes towards -∞, in which case it may be more appropriate to use ln. Other methods for finding limits of sequences exist, particularly for special cases such as when x is in the power. It is also common to use l'Hospital twice in some cases.
JulienB
Hi everybody! I'm currently preparing a math exam, and I'd like to clear up a few points I find obscure about limits of sequences, my goal being to more or less determine a method to solve them quickly during the exam. Hopefully someone can help me here :) I'll number the questions so that it's easier to answer:

1. When I encounter an indeterminate form, the first step I do is always to remove the constants (if any) out of the limit and then rewrite it in the form 0/0 or ∞/∞ (to use L'Hopital), or to apply e or ln on both sides (if the "x" is in the power for example). Is it always correct to write elim an = eL and ln(lim an) = ln(L) or are there exceptions?
For example, let's say that the sequence goes towards -∞: that's a place where ex never goes, right? Does that mean I should rather use ln than e when facing the possibility of a choice?
(Well maybe there's always a (-1) somewhere in such cases, I don't really have an example right now)

Any thing to add about this first step? What do you guys do?

2. Yesterday I was trying to find the limit for (1/(x-1) - 1/(lnx)) for x→1. I rewrote it in the form 0/0 and used L'Hopital, which gave me an indeterminate form again. I thought I failed, so I looked up Wolfram Alpha and it said to perform the L'Hopital rule twice! Is that a common thing to do, or was there an easier method to solve that?

3. Are there other efficient methods to find limits of sequences? I'm especially fond of those you can apply for "special cases" of sequences (like for example e when you see x in the power).Thank you very much in advance for your answers, I'm sure there's already enough matter to discuss in those 3 questions.Julien.

Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:
Hi everybody! I'm currently preparing a math exam, and I'd like to clear up a few points I find obscure about limits of sequences, my goal being to more or less determine a method to solve them quickly during the exam. Hopefully someone can help me here :) I'll number the questions so that it's easier to answer:

1. When I encounter an indeterminate form, the first step I do is always to remove the constants (if any) out of the limit and then rewrite it in the form 0/0 or ∞/∞ (to use L'Hopital), or to apply e or ln on both sides (if the "x" is in the power for example). Is it always correct to write elim an = eL and ln(lim an) = ln(L) or are there exceptions?
For example, let's say that the sequence goes towards -∞: that's a place where ex never goes, right? Does that mean I should rather use ln than e when facing the possibility of a choice?
(Well maybe there's always a (-1) somewhere in such cases, I don't really have an example right now)

Any thing to add about this first step? What do you guys do?

2. Yesterday I was trying to find the limit for (1/(x-1) - 1/(lnx)) for x→1. I rewrote it in the form 0/0 and used L'Hopital, which gave me an indeterminate form again. I thought I failed, so I looked up Wolfram Alpha and it said to perform the L'Hopital rule twice! Is that a common thing to do, or was there an easier method to solve that?

3. Are there other efficient methods to find limits of sequences? I'm especially fond of those you can apply for "special cases" of sequences (like for example e when you see x in the power).Thank you very much in advance for your answers, I'm sure there's already enough matter to discuss in those 3 questions.Julien.

With good practice, you can determine limits on first sight. Also, it is normal you sometimes have to use l'Hospital twice.

Likes JulienB

1. What is a limit of a sequence?

A limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index of the terms increases. It represents the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases towards infinity.

2. How is a limit of a sequence calculated?

The limit of a sequence is calculated by finding the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index of the terms increases. This can be done by examining the pattern of the terms and using mathematical techniques such as the squeeze theorem or the ratio test.

3. What is the difference between a finite and infinite limit of a sequence?

A finite limit of a sequence means that the terms of the sequence approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. An infinite limit means that the terms of the sequence do not approach a specific value, but instead either grow larger or smaller without bound.

4. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. If a sequence has more than one limit, then it is not a well-defined sequence and does not have a limit.

5. What is the importance of understanding limits of sequences?

Understanding limits of sequences is important in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus, differential equations, and analysis. It allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and understand the convergence or divergence of series. Additionally, limits of sequences are used in real-world applications, such as in computer science and engineering.