General Relativity - Contravariant and Covariant Vectors: aaargghh

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that VaWa is a scalar by using the transformation rules for contravariant and covariant tensors. The result is shown to be a scalar by simplifying the right hand side of the equation and showing that it follows the transformation rule for a scalar.
tetris11

Homework Statement

I know this is an easy question, I just can't seem to grasp what I am actually doing:

Let M be a manifold.
Let Va be contravariant, and Wa be covariant.

Show that [tex]\mu[/tex]=VaWa

Homework Equations

(couldn't get Latex to work consistently, sorry)
(1) V 'a = (dx 'a / dxb) Vb
(2) W 'a = (dxb / dx 'a) Wb

(3) AcDc = Sum of AcDc from c=1...n

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I just multiplied (1) and (2) together to get:
V 'aW 'a = (dx 'a / dxb) (dxb / dx 'a) VbWb

The brackets cancel out and I get:
V 'aW 'a =VbWb = Sum of VbWb from b=1...n (from (3))

How this proves anything is scalar is beyond me.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that on the right hand side of your equation you have the same index occurring four times-- this is not allowed. An index may appear either exactly once or exactly twice.

In order to answer this question you will need to know what it means to be a scalar: how does a scalar change under a coordinate transformation?

Scalars don't transform under co-ordinate transformations, but I still don't see the solution.

Also, which equation have I used the same index four times?
I can only think of the bottom last equation I wrote, and I think I have only used the b index exactly twice (right?)

In this equation "V 'aW 'a = (dx 'a / dxb) (dxb / dx 'a) VbWb", b occurs four times. You are correct that a scalar doesn't transform. Thus, you want to calculate (V_aW^a)' and show that it is equal to V_aW^a. So,

[tex](V_aW^a)'=\frac{dx'^a}{dx^b}V^b\frac{dx^c}{dx'^a}W_c[/tex]

What does the right hand side simplify to? [Hint: it will involve a Kronecker delta]

(dx 'a / dxb) (dxc / dx 'a) Vb Wc = (dx c / dxb) Vb Wc = (with indexes vertically aligned) delta'c'b Vb Wc

'c = 'b => delta = 1
'c =/= 'b => delta = 0

So answer is either 0 or Vb Wc.
Unfortunately I am still not seeing it...:frown:
Why is this result scalar?

Last edited:
[tex]
(V_aW^a)'=\frac{dx'^a}{dx^b}V^b\frac{dx^c}{dx'^a}W_c
=\frac{dx^c}{dx^b}V^bW_c=\delta^c{}_b V^b W_c[/tex]

Then, as you say, the delta is only 1 when c=b, so
[tex]
(V_aW^a)'=V^c W_c=V^a W_a
[/tex]

Do you see that this is the transformation rule for a scalar?

Kind of.

I take it that as long as the tensor's V and W have the same number of indexes in the same positions on both sides, then no transformation has taken place - only the size of index has changed, which is valid?

Related to General Relativity - Contravariant and Covariant Vectors: aaargghh

1. What is the difference between a contravariant and covariant vector in General Relativity?

A contravariant vector is a type of vector that transforms in the opposite direction of the coordinate system, while a covariant vector transforms in the same direction as the coordinate system. In General Relativity, these concepts are used to describe how vectors change under coordinate transformations in curved spacetime.

2. How are contravariant and covariant vectors related to the curvature of spacetime?

In General Relativity, the curvature of spacetime is described by the metric tensor, which is composed of both contravariant and covariant components. The covariant components describe how spacetime curves, while the contravariant components describe how vectors change under this curvature.

3. Do contravariant and covariant vectors have different physical interpretations?

Yes, contravariant and covariant vectors have different physical interpretations. Contravariant vectors are often associated with physical quantities that can be measured and observed, while covariant vectors are associated with mathematical transformations and coordinate systems.

4. How do contravariant and covariant vectors affect the equations of General Relativity?

In General Relativity, contravariant and covariant vectors play a crucial role in the formulation of Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. These equations are used to model the behavior of the universe on a large scale.

5. Can you give an example of a contravariant and covariant vector in General Relativity?

One example of a contravariant vector in General Relativity is the four-momentum vector, which describes the energy and momentum of a particle in four-dimensional spacetime. An example of a covariant vector is the metric tensor, which describes the curvature of spacetime at a given point.