General relativity with focus on action?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the action principle to derive equations of motion in general relativity, and the recommendation of Landau+Lifshitz vol. 2 as a book that focuses on this approach. The Hilbert action is also mentioned as a heuristic argument for the form of the equations.
LCSphysicist
I am having a class of general relativity. It seems that the professor will follow an approach which consist of achieve the action, and variate it to get the equations of motion (indeed, that's how we already got the geodesic equation, the dynamics of a particle in electromagnetism, the equation of the fields itself, and the action of massless particle, etc...). Do you know any book that follows such approach? That is, a book that focus mainly on the action of the fields itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dirac derives GR equations from the principle of action.

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
Nearly every book on GR discusses the action: Carroll, Wald, d'Inverno, etc. Which book do you use?

Likes vanhees71
My favorite for introductory GR is Landau+Lifshitz vol. 2. He uses the action principle to derive the Einstein field equation. The Hilbert action is the most simple heuristic argument for why these equations should look as they look.

Likes anuttarasammyak
Introduction to General Relativity by Bambi.

Excerpt from a book description:

"Following the approach of Lev Landau and Evgenii Lifshitz, this book introduces the theory of special and general relativity with the Lagrangian formalism and the principle of least action."

I found the book quite readable and going
straight to its object.

• Informative
Likes PeroK, anuttarasammyak and vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
My favorite for introductory GR is Landau+Lifshitz vol. 2. He uses the action principle to derive the Einstein field equation. The Hilbert action is the most simple heuristic argument for why these equations should look as they look.
I agree that LL vol 2 is good. You mention Hilbert action as a heuristic argument. Is heuristic the right word here. I thought of Einsteins intuitive manner of developing his equations as heuristic. I would regard Hilbert's development as quite formal.

Likes vanhees71
What you call "heuristic" is pretty much a question of your preknowledge. For me the action principle is the most versatile tool to guess equations of motion given a symmetry principle and I think it's much more "intuitive" or "heuristic" than Einstein's derivation.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects cause a curvature in the fabric of space-time, which in turn affects the motion of other objects in the vicinity.

2. What is the focus of general relativity with respect to action?

The focus of general relativity with respect to action is to understand how the curvature of space-time is related to the motion of objects. This is described by the Einstein Field Equations, which relate the curvature of space-time to the distribution of matter and energy.

3. How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

General relativity differs from Newton's theory of gravity in that it describes gravity as a curvature in space-time, rather than a force between masses. It also accounts for the effects of acceleration and the curvature of space-time on the motion of objects.

4. What are some practical applications of general relativity?

Some practical applications of general relativity include the prediction and detection of gravitational waves, the accurate measurement of time and space in GPS systems, and the understanding of the behavior of massive objects in the universe, such as black holes and galaxies.

5. How has general relativity been tested and confirmed?

General relativity has been tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations, including the bending of light by massive objects, the precession of the orbit of Mercury, and the gravitational redshift of light. It has also been confirmed through the successful predictions made by the theory, such as the existence of black holes and the expansion of the universe.