General Solution of dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^(-t^2) w/ Initial Value Problem

In summary, the given problem is to find the general solution of a differential equation dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^(-t^2). To solve this, we use an integrating factor and take the integral of both sides to obtain the general solution e^(t^2)y = (integral of) 4e^(t^2-t). However, when given an initial value problem of the same differential equation, it is not possible to integrate the right hand side. Therefore, we can leave the solution as e^(t^2)y = 4.
KevinL
For the first question, I am only supposed to find the general solution of the differential equation.

1) dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^(-t^2)
dy/dt + 2ty = 4e^(-t^2)

Integrating factor = e^(Integral of 2t) = e^(t^2)

Multiply both sides by IF:

e^(t^2) * (dy/dt +2ty) = 4e^(t^2-t)

e^(t^2)*dy/dt +2te^(t^2)y = 4e^(t^2-t)

e^(t^2)y' + (e^(t^2))'y = 4e^(t^2-t)

(e^(t^2)y)' = 4e^(t^2-t)

Take integral of both sides:

e^(t^2)y = (integral of) 4e^(t^2-t)

The right hand side is impossible to integrate (unless I'm missing something?). So we just divide both sides by e^(t^2) and leave that as our answer. There was an example in the book where a problem was left like this because the integral was impossible to do, so I'm assuming this is a 'legal' thing to do.

2) Solve the initial value problem of dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^(-t^2)

This is the exact same problem, just with an initial value problem. I don't understand how to do this with an integral on the right hand side. I have a feeling the answer would involve an integral with bounds but I am kinda grasping at straws on that one.

Physics news on Phys.org
when you multiply both sides by et2, the right side is

[tex]4*e^{-t^2} * e^{t^2}=4e^{-t^2+t^2}[/tex]

What is the general solution of the differential equation dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^(-t^2)?

The general solution of this differential equation is y = Ce^(-t^2) + 2e^(-t^2), where C is a constant.

What is the initial value problem for this differential equation?

The initial value problem for this differential equation is y(0) = a, where a is a constant.

How do you solve the initial value problem for this differential equation?

To solve the initial value problem, you need to substitute the given initial condition (y(0) = a) into the general solution. Then, you can solve for the constant C and obtain the specific solution for the initial value problem.

What is the significance of the constant C in the general solution?

The constant C represents the arbitrary constant that accounts for all possible solutions to the differential equation. It can take on different values depending on the given initial conditions, and it allows us to solve for a specific solution to the initial value problem.

How does the value of the constant C affect the solution to the initial value problem?

The value of the constant C determines the specific solution to the initial value problem. Different values of C will result in different solutions, but all solutions will satisfy the given differential equation and initial condition.