General solution of Transport equation

In summary: Let $u$ be a solution of $u_t+cu_x=g(x,t)$ and for this $u$ I define $z(s)$ as previously.Then $z'(s)=c u_x+ u_t-g(x(s),t(s))=0$, i.e. $z(s)=\beta \forall s \in \mathbb{R}$.$u(x(s),t(s))=z(s)=z(0)=u(a,0)=u(x(s)-ct(s),0)+\int_0^{t} g(x-cr,r)dr \for
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

General solution of Transport equation (homogeneous): Method of Characteristics

$$u_t+cu_x=0 (\star)$$

We know that if $f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}$ is differentiable then $u(x,t)=f(x-ct)$ is a solution of $(\star)$.

We will show that each solution of $(\star)$ is of the form $u(x,t)=f(x-ct)$, where $f$ is an arbitrary differentiable function, $f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}$.

We consider the lines $\epsilon_a: x-ct=a, a \in \mathbb{R}$.

We define the function $z(s)=u(x(s),t(s))$, where $x(s)=cs+a$, $t(s)=s$.

Then $(x(s), t(s)) \in \epsilon_a \forall s \in \mathbb{R}$.
Let $u$ be a solution of $(\star)$ and for this $u$ I define $z(s)$ as previously.

Then $z'(s)=c u_x+ u_t=0$, i.e. $z(s)=\beta \forall s \in \mathbb{R}$.

$u(x(s),t(s))=z(s)=z(0)=u(a,0)=u(x(s)-ct(s),0) \forall s$

Thus $u(x,t)=u(x-ct,0)=:f(x-ct)$, where $f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}$ is differentiable.I am looking at the following exercise:

Find the general solution of the non-homogeneous Transport equation $u_t+cu_x=g(x,t)$ where $g$ is "smooth" (how smooth?) and using the above find the general solution of the wave equation.

Hint: We work as previously : $z'(s)=g(x(s),t(s))$.So in this case do we know that $u(x,t)=f(x-ct)$ is again a solution of the given equation?

Or do we have to consider an other solution and show that all the solutions are of this form? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, we can assume that $u(x,t)=f(x-ct)$ is a solution of the given equation and then show that all the other solutions are of this form.We consider the lines $\epsilon_a: x-ct=a, a \in \mathbb{R}$.We define the function $z(s)=u(x(s),t(s))$, where $x(s)=cs+a$, $t(s)=s$.Then $(x(s), t(s)) \in \epsilon_a \forall s \in \mathbb{R}$.Let $u$ be a solution of $u_t+cu_x=g(x,t)$ and for this $u$ I define $z(s)$ as previously.Then $z'(s)=c u_x+ u_t-g(x(s),t(s))=0$, i.e. $z(s)=\beta \forall s \in \mathbb{R}$.$u(x(s),t(s))=z(s)=z(0)=u(a,0)=u(x(s)-ct(s),0) + \int_0^s g(x(r),t(r))dr \forall s$Thus $u(x,t)=u(x-ct,0)+\int_0^{t} g(x-cr,r)dr=:f(x-ct)+\int_0^{t} g(x-cr,r)dr$, where $f: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}$ is differentiable.For the wave equation, we can use the same method. We consider the lines $\epsilon_a: x-ct=a, a \in \mathbb{R}$.We define the function $z(s)=u(x(s),t(s))$, where $x(s)=cs+a$, $t(s)=s$.Then $(x(s), t(s)) \in \epsilon_a \forall s \in \mathbb{R}$.

1. What is the general solution of the transport equation?

The general solution of the transport equation is the mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a transported quantity in a given system. It takes into account all possible initial and boundary conditions and provides a complete solution to the transport equation.

2. How is the general solution of the transport equation derived?

The general solution is derived by solving the transport equation using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Laplace transformation, or numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the boundary conditions.

3. What are the key components of the general solution of the transport equation?

The general solution of the transport equation typically consists of a homogeneous solution and a particular solution. The homogeneous solution represents the behavior of the system in the absence of external forces, while the particular solution takes into account the effects of external inputs on the system.

4. Can the general solution be applied to any type of transport equation?

Yes, the general solution can be applied to a wide range of transport equations, including those used in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and mass transfer. However, the specific form of the solution may vary depending on the type of equation and its governing parameters.

5. How is the general solution of the transport equation used in practical applications?

The general solution is used to predict the behavior of a transported quantity in various systems, such as flow in pipes, heat transfer in buildings, and diffusion of chemicals in biological systems. It allows scientists and engineers to model and analyze complex transport processes and make informed decisions in practical applications.