Generalizing the Complex Number Formula for $(1+2i)^n$

In summary, the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n is $((1+2i)^n = (1+2i)^n = (1+2i)(1+2i)...(1+2i)$ where there are n factors of $(1+2i)$ multiplied together. To generalize this formula, we can use the binomial theorem and substitute $(a+bi)$ for $(1+2i)$. This formula can be used for any complex number and can also be used to find the nth root of a complex number. To simplify the formula, we can use properties of complex numbers and the fact that $i^2 = -1$.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Thank you to soroban for proposing this problem!

\(\displaystyle \left| (1+2i)^n \right|^2\) for n=1,2,3... can be generalized in a very simple form that doesn't include any notation related to complex numbers.

1) Find a way to generalize the nth term.
2) Prove your generalization is valid

Hint 1: [sp] Start with n=1. Squaring the magnitude of a complex number cancels out the square root normally in that calculation so given $z = a+bi$ we are looking at the square of the magnitude, or $a^2+b^2$. The magnitude is \(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2+b^2}\) but take note of the outer exponent, 2.

For $n \ge 2$ you'll have to simplify $(1+2i)^n$ to the form of $a+bi$ and then calculate $a^2+b^2$.[/sp]

Hint 2: [sp] Remember that for complex numbers, z and w, |zw|=|z||w|. You can apply this to the problem through \(\displaystyle (1+2i)^n=(1+2i)^{n-1}(1+2i)\) [/sp]

If this problem seems too tricky for you then I suggest reading up on complex numbers, focusing on multiplying them and finding the magnitude.

--------------------

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the following members for their correct solutions:

1) Reckoner
2) Sudharaka

Solution (from Reckoner):
[sp] Calculating \(\left|(1+2i)^n\right|^2\) for a few small values of \(n\) suggests a simple pattern:

For \(n=1\),
\[\left|(1+2i)^n\right|^2 = |1+2i|^2 = 5.\]

For \(n=2\),
\[\left|(1+2i)^n\right|^2 = \left|(1+2i)^2\right|^2 = \left|1+4i+4i^2\right|^2\] \[ = |-3+4i|^2 = 25 = 5^2.\]

For \(n=3\),
\[\left|(1+2i)^n\right|^2 = \left|(1+2i)^3\right|^2 = \left|1+6i+12i^2+8i^3\right|^2\] \[=|-11 - 2i|^2 = 125 = 5^3.\]

This suggests that \(\left|(1+2i)^n\right|^2 = 5^n\). For proof, we use induction. Note that the base case \(n=1\) was already shown above. Assume that, for some positive integer \(k\), \(\left|(1+2i)^k\right|^2 = 5^k\). Then, setting \(n = k+1\) gives

\[\left|(1+2i)^{k+1}\right|^2 = \left|(1+2i)^k(1+2i)\right|^2\]

\[= \left|(1+2i)^k\right|^2\cdot|1+2i|^2,\]

which, by the inductive hypothesis,

\[=5^k\cdot|1+2i|^2 = 5^k\cdot5 = 5^{k+1}\]

as required. Hence, \(\left|(1+2i)^n\right|^2 = 5^n\) for all positive integers \(n\).[/sp]

Related to Generalizing the Complex Number Formula for $(1+2i)^n$

1. What is the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n?

The complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n is $((1+2i)^n = (1+2i)^n = (1+2i)(1+2i)...(1+2i)$ where there are n factors of $(1+2i)$ multiplied together.

2. How do you generalize the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n?

To generalize the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n, we can use the binomial theorem which states that $(a+b)^n = \sum_{k=0}^{n} {{n}\choose{k}} a^{n-k}b^k$ where ${n}\choose{k}$ is the binomial coefficient. We can apply this theorem to the complex number formula by substituting $(1+2i)$ for $(a+b)$ and $n$ for $n$.

3. Can the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n be used for any complex number?

Yes, the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n can be used for any complex number. The formula can be generalized to $(a+bi)^n$ where $a$ and $b$ are real numbers and $i$ is the imaginary unit.

4. How do you simplify the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n?

To simplify the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n, we can use the properties of complex numbers. We can expand the formula and combine like terms to get a simplified expression. Additionally, we can use the fact that $i^2 = -1$ to simplify any terms with $i$ raised to an even power.

5. Can the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n be used to find the nth root of a complex number?

Yes, the complex number formula for raising $(1+2i)$ to the power of n can be used to find the nth root of a complex number. We can use the formula to find the value of $(a+bi)$ when raised to the power of $1/n$ by substituting $n$ for $1/n$ in the formula. This will give us the nth root of the complex number $(a+bi)$.