Generate random numbers in C++

In summary: The documentation has examples. If you've already looked at them and need more help, please say so, what you've tried, what isn't working and where exactly you want help.
anonim
Homework Statement
-
Relevant Equations
-
I want to generate random numbers in C++. I do not want to use C library function (`<cstdlib> <ctime> (time.h)` ) and class. So I cannot use `rand()` function in C. I want to generate random integer numbers and I guess I can use `<random>` library in C++11. How can I use this generate random numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reason that you have to use ctime to use the C-library rand(). Some examples use ctime to get a changing initial seed for an initial call to rand()'s srand() initialization function. You do not need to use that. You can set an initial seed using an unsigned integer of your choice in srand().

I have always assumed that the C++ version actually used the C rand().

anonim said:
How can I use this generate random numbers?

The documentation has examples. If you've already looked at them and need more help, please say so, what you've tried, what isn't working and where exactly you want help.

FactChecker said:
I have always assumed that the C++ version actually used the C rand().

It does not. One selects the RNG, and has many choices.

Vanadium 50 said:
It does not. One selects the RNG, and has many choices.
You might be right, but that is not very convincing. One often calls a pseudorandom number generator with a range of [0,1] and then converts the output to other ranges and distributions.

anonim said:
I want to generate random integer numbers and I guess I can use `<random>` library in C++11. How can I use this generate random numbers?

The classes in <random> are not super easy to use unless you know what you are doing, both regarding C++ and regarding the statistics your are trying to achieve, but once you got that they are quite flexible in allowing you to construct generators with all sorts of distributions. Since this is a homework question I would recommend you peek at the <random> API description with one eye and search for a good guide on the net with the other, and then return here with specific questions if you get stuck at some details.

What is the purpose of generating random numbers in C++?

Generating random numbers in C++ is useful for a variety of applications, such as statistical simulations, cryptography, and game development. It allows for the creation of unpredictable and unbiased data, which can be used to test algorithms or add an element of randomness to programs.

How can I generate a random number in a specific range using C++?

To generate a random number within a specific range, you can use the rand() function from the cstdlib library. This function returns a random integer between 0 and RAND_MAX, so you can use the modulus operator to restrict the range. For example, if you want a random number between 1 and 10, you can use rand() % 10 + 1.

Is it possible to generate a sequence of random numbers in C++?

Yes, it is possible to generate a sequence of random numbers in C++. You can use the srand() function to set a seed for the rand() function, which will generate a different sequence of random numbers each time the program is run. Alternatively, you can use the random library in C++11, which provides more advanced methods for generating random numbers and sequences.

Can I generate random floating-point numbers in C++?

Yes, you can generate random floating-point numbers in C++ using the rand() function and converting the result to a floating-point number. However, this method may not produce truly random numbers and is not recommended for applications that require high precision. Instead, you can use the uniform_real_distribution function from the random library to generate random floating-point numbers with a specified range and precision.

Are there any best practices for generating random numbers in C++?

Yes, there are a few best practices to keep in mind when generating random numbers in C++. First, always set a seed for the rand() function to ensure a different sequence of numbers each time the program is run. Additionally, consider using the random library for more advanced and reliable random number generation. Finally, avoid using rand() for cryptography or security purposes, as it is not a cryptographically secure random number generator.