Generating Entangled Electron Pairs

In summary: Thanks PeroK. But how would they achieve two entangled electrons one of Up spin and one with Down spin. Is it electron decay ?That's not entanglement. That's two electrons each with a definite spin state. Entanglement is where the two electrons have a single (shared, as it were) spin state. This is where quantum entanglement differs fundamentally from the classical example I gave.
RobbyQ
I have read, what I believe, misleading articles about generating entangled electron pairs. Some suggesting the electron is split. But this isn't possible because it's an elementary particle with charge/mass and Spin properties. So how do we achieve generating entangled electrons with opposite spin? Or is the concept of pairing a superposition of Spin for the same electron? Or is it electron-positron pairing?

Physics news on Phys.org
In theory, any pair of particles can become an entangled system. Entanglement often arises from conservation laws. E.g. if a particle with zero spin decays into two particles of non-zero spin, then the spin state of the resulting particles is entangled in order to conserve the overall spin of zero.

In classical physics, the same would apply. If an object with zero momentum and zero angular momentum explodes into two pieces, then the momentum and angular momentum of each piece must be equal and opposite. That's a sort of classical entanglement.

Likes vanhees71 and RobbyQ
Thanks PeroK. But how would they achieve two entangled electrons one of Up spin and one with Down spin. Is it electron decay ?

RobbyQ said:
I have read, what I believe, misleading articles about generating entangled electron pairs. Some suggesting the electron is split.
Until you tell us what you've read we can't say whether it is wrong or you misunderstood it.

Thanks PeroK. But how would they achieve two entangled electrons one of Up spin and one with Down spin. Is it electron decay ?
As well as the general principle that @PeroK mentions above (pretty much any interaction leaves the products entangled in some way) you might find https://arxiv.org/abs/1508.05949 interesting - a technique for spin-entangling two electrons.

Likes RobbyQ, PeroK and vanhees71
RobbyQ said:
That's not entanglement. That's two electrons each with a definite spin state. Entanglement is where the two electrons have a single (shared, as it were) spin state. This is where quantum entanglement differs fundamentally from the classical example I gave.

An electron-positron pair can arise from the decay of a neutral boson, for example.

PeroK said:
Entanglement is where the two electrons have a single (shared, as it were) spin state. This is where quantum entanglement differs fundamentally from the classical example I gave.
And is that shared spin state defined by a single wave function for the two electrons?

Likes PeroK
RobbyQ said:
And is that shared spin state defined by a single wave function for the two electrons?
Yes. Technically the mathematical characterstic that identifies it as an entangled state is that the two-electron wavefunction cannot be expressed as the product of single-electron wavefunctions. If they are not entangled, then the wavefunction can be expressed as a product of single-electron wavefunctions.

Likes vanhees71, PeterDonis and RobbyQ

What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

How are entangled electron pairs generated?

Entangled electron pairs can be generated through a process called quantum entanglement, where two electrons are brought into close proximity and their quantum states become correlated.

What is the significance of generating entangled electron pairs?

Generating entangled electron pairs is significant because it allows for the study and manipulation of quantum phenomena, which has the potential to revolutionize fields such as computing, communication, and cryptography.

What are some potential applications of entangled electron pairs?

Some potential applications of entangled electron pairs include quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum teleportation.

What challenges are associated with generating entangled electron pairs?

One of the main challenges in generating entangled electron pairs is maintaining their entangled state over long distances and time periods, as any external interference or interaction can break the entanglement. Additionally, the process of generating entangled electron pairs is still in its early stages and requires further research and development.