Geocentric vs heliocentric model evidence

In summary, the conversation discusses various pieces of evidence that support the idea that the Earth revolves around the sun. These include the phases of the moon, the seasons, the analemma of the sun, solar and lunar eclipses, and the fact that the sun is more massive than the Earth. It is also argued that the observation of Earth's position from space probes is further evidence for this concept. While some of these observations can be explained using a geocentric model, the overall consensus is that the heliocentric model is a more accurate representation of our solar system.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

I wasn't sure where the most appropriate place to post this question is. But anyway.

Which of these, if any, can be used as evidence that the Earth revolves around the sun.
1. The phases of the moon
2. The seasons
3. analemma of the sun
4. solar and lunar eclipses
5. the sun is more massive than the Earth
6. because we have observed it from space with probes

I know there is other evidence, but I'm trying to see if any of these also make sense and I should add them to the list. I think 1-4 can be explained using the geocentric model too. Laws of gravitation I guess would make 5 an okay answer. I'm not sure if we really have "observed" the Earth going around the Sun.

Thoughts?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
5 plus gravity is a very strong argument.
Puchinita5 said:
I'm not sure if we really have "observed" the Earth going around the Sun.
Every space probe far away from Earth has to take the current position of Earth into account to communicate with Earth. And that position is correct in one model only.
Puchinita5 said:
I'm not sure if we really have "observed" the Earth going around the Sun.
Of course we have.

okay cool, I guess I was taking the word "observe" too seriously... The first 4 can be explained somehow in a geocentric model right? I figure it must because these were all things observed back then and they seemed content with the geocentric model despite these observations. The analemma one is really confusing me, I just can't visualize in my head if you could get an analemma in a geocentric system?

Well, technically you can always choose geocentric coordinates. It just leads to really weird physics once you realize the (other) planets have elliptic orbits around the sun.

Related to Geocentric vs heliocentric model evidence

1. What is the geocentric model?

The geocentric model is the belief that the Earth is at the center of the universe and that all other celestial bodies, including the sun and planets, revolve around it.

2. What is the heliocentric model?

The heliocentric model is the belief that the sun is at the center of the universe and that the Earth and other planets revolve around it.

3. What evidence supports the geocentric model?

The geocentric model was supported by observations of celestial bodies and the apparent movement of the sun and stars across the sky. It was also supported by religious and philosophical beliefs at the time.

4. What evidence supports the heliocentric model?

The heliocentric model is supported by scientific evidence such as the observations of planetary motion made by Galileo and Kepler, as well as the laws of motion and gravity proposed by Newton. Modern technology, such as telescopes and space probes, also provide evidence for the heliocentric model.

5. Which model is considered to be the correct one?

Based on current scientific evidence, the heliocentric model is considered to be the correct model of our solar system. However, both the geocentric and heliocentric models have played important roles in our understanding of the universe and have contributed to the development of scientific thought.