Geometric Interpretation of Einstein Tensor

In summary: I would not recommend this book specifically, but it is an excellent book on general relativity. It may be helpful to you.
Markus Hanke
Is there a simple geometric interpretation of the Einstein tensor ? I know about its algebraic definitions ( i.e. via contraction of Riemann's double dual, as a combination of Ricci tensor and Ricci scalar etc etc ), but I am finding it hard to actually understand it geometrically.

Specifically, what I am looking for is an interpretation along the lines of what Misner/Thorne/Wheeler do in "Gravitation" for the Riemann tensor, in terms of the "slots" of tensor understood as being a linear "machine". You take the tangent vector to a reference geodesic, insert it into both slots 1 and 3 of Riemann, and insert the separation vector to some neighbouring geodesic into slot 2; the result is a vector which signifies the ( covariant ) rate of change of your separation vector ( relative acceleration ) between the geodesics, with respect to your chosen time coordinate. Geodesic deviation, in other words.

Can something similar be done with the Einstein tensor ?

Apologies in advance if this question turns out to be either meaningless, imprecise, or trivial. Hopefully you can see what I am trying to get at.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you :) You are right in saying that no actual answer was arrived at, either on the thread you referenced, nor on any other thread on here ( that I can find ) asking the same thing. However, this set off bells in the back of my head, since I remembered long ago having come across an article to do with geometric explanations of the curvature tensors in GR; a Google search then revealed this article by Lee Loveridge :

http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0401099v1.pdf

The answer is precisely equation (9) - contract both slots of the Einstein tensor with a unit time-like vector, and you get the scalar curvature in the corresponding spatial directions. So basically, once a time direction is chosen, the Einstein tensor is a measure of how the area of an infinitesimally small D-1 sphere differs from its counterpart in flat space ( eqn (8) in the same paper ). That seems like a pretty good geometric interpretation to me !

Is this an acceptable way to "visualise" the Einstein tensor ?

I think it's a good start.. but it's incomplete.
You get the diagonal components. Maybe one can transform to a basis of its eigenvectors, then transform back.
In addition, it's not clear to me how to see (in this visualization/interpretation) that "the Einstein tensor is divergence-free".

robphy said:
I think it's a good start.. but it's incomplete.
You get the diagonal components. Maybe one can transform to a basis of its eigenvectors, then transform back.
In addition, it's not clear to me how to see (in this visualization/interpretation) that "the Einstein tensor is divergence-free".

It is symmetric and bilinear, so the non-diagonal elements are determined by the diagonal ones. [itex] E(u,v)=\frac14[E(u+v,u+v)-E(u-v,u-v)][/itex]

robphy said:
it's not clear to me how to see (in this visualization/interpretation) that "the Einstein tensor is divergence-free".

The best geometric interpretation of this that I have seen is MTW's explanation that "the boundary of a boundary is zero", which is a general theorem in differential geometry. The divergence of the Einstein tensor can be interpreted, as MTW shows, as "the boundary of a boundary", so it must be zero by the theorem. I'm not sure how this fits in with the interpretation of the Einstein tensor itself that is given in post #3, though.

Likes Markus Hanke and martinbn
martinbn said:
It is symmetric and bilinear, so the non-diagonal elements are determined by the diagonal ones. [itex] E(u,v)=\frac14[E(u+v,u+v)-E(u-v,u-v)][/itex]

Ah, yes... the polarization identity.

PeterDonis said:
The best geometric interpretation of this that I have seen is MTW's explanation that "the boundary of a boundary is zero", which is a general theorem in differential geometry. The divergence of the Einstein tensor can be interpreted, as MTW shows, as "the boundary of a boundary", so it must be zero by the theorem. I'm not sure how this fits in with the interpretation of the Einstein tensor itself that is given in post #3, though.

Yes... algebraically. But how can this visualization suggest that?

You might want to look at chapter 4, "The Geometry of Einstein's Equation" (pages 39, 40 for the Einstein tensor), from the book "Gravitational Curvature" by Frankel.

Likes martinbn and dextercioby
can't you reach some interpretations by choosing such geometries that for example could bring the Einstein Tensor to be equal to the Ricci Tensor?? (vanishing Ricci scalar)...
In such a case, geometrically the ET and the RT would represent the same thing.

George Jones said:
You might want to look at chapter 4, "The Geometry of Einstein's Equation" (pages 39, 40 for the Einstein tensor), from the book "Gravitational Curvature" by Frankel.

Thank you ! I'm not familiar with this text, but the reviews seems to be quite good. Would you recommend this book ( in general, not just in the context of this thread ) ?

What is the Einstein tensor?

The Einstein tensor, also known as the Einstein curvature tensor, is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of spacetime in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is a symmetric tensor that combines the Ricci curvature tensor and the scalar curvature of spacetime.

How is the Einstein tensor calculated?

The Einstein tensor is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. It is expressed as a mathematical equation involving the Ricci tensor, the metric tensor, and the cosmological constant.

What is the significance of the Einstein tensor?

The Einstein tensor is significant because it is a key component in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the gravitational interactions between massive objects. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of massive objects in the universe.

What is the geometric interpretation of the Einstein tensor?

The geometric interpretation of the Einstein tensor is that it represents the curvature of spacetime. This curvature is determined by the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, and it is this curvature that causes objects to move in a curved path under the influence of gravity.

How does the Einstein tensor relate to the concept of spacetime?

The Einstein tensor is an essential element in the understanding of spacetime. It relates to the concept of spacetime by describing its curvature, which is a fundamental aspect of the theory of general relativity. The distribution of matter and energy in spacetime affects its curvature, which in turn affects the motion of objects within it.