Geometric Interpretation of Turbulence

In summary, we have discussed the geometric interpretation of turbulence and its relation to Poiseuille flow. While Poiseuille flow is by definition laminar, there is vorticity present in the flow which can be seen as a form of rotation. Additionally, the gradient in the flow plays a role in generating turbulence, with higher gradients leading to greater turbulence. However, flow velocity also plays a part in this process.
George444fg
TL;DR Summary
Geometric Interpretation of Turbulence
I would like to give a geometric interpretation to turbulence. Let's take into consideration for example a Poiseuille flow. The velocity profile resembles a parabolic bullet. As the particles are pushed by other layers of particles, then it must be that in addition to their translation, they would rotate sideways due to the shape of the profile. While as far away the particles are from the centre of the tube the greater the slope of the paraboloid would be and therefore the greater the turbulence. Is my intuition valid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Laminar flow has no turbulence. So your interpretations must be incorrect. Turbulence is characterized by rapid and chaotic temporal fluctuations of the velocity components; such rapid temporal fluctuations are not present in laminar flow.

George444fg said:
Summary:: Geometric Interpretation of Turbulence

I would like to give a geometric interpretation to turbulence. Let's take into consideration for example a Poiseuille flow. The velocity profile resembles a parabolic bullet. As the particles are pushed by other layers of particles, then it must be that in addition to their translation, they would rotate sideways due to the shape of the profile. While as far away the particles are from the centre of the tube the greater the slope of the paraboloid would be and therefore the greater the turbulence. Is my intuition valid?
Why would particles need to be pushed in the way you describe? The velocity vector does not point normal to the profile you seem to describe. The fluid particles simply move horizontally with a velocity that, when plotted, is parabolic (in the case of Poiseuille flow that you cite).

If you want a "geometric" interpretation, the best I can do for you is to cite a 1922 limerick by Lewis Fry Richardson:
Big whorls have little whorls
Which feed on their velocity,
And little whorls have lesser whorls
And so on to viscosity

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
George444fg said:
Let's take into consideration for example a Poiseuille flow. The velocity profile resembles a parabolic bullet. As the particles are pushed by other layers of particles, then it must be that in addition to their translation, they would rotate sideways due to the shape of the profile. While as far away the particles are from the centre of the tube the greater the slope of the paraboloid would be and therefore the greater the turbulence. Is my intuition valid?

Not sure what you mean by "rotate sideways", but if a test body floats in the Poiseuille flow, it will be rotated by the gradient. The vorticity (curl of the velocity field) can be non-zero, even if the flow velocity vectors are all parallel. But vorticity is different from turbulence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorticity#Examples

A.T. said:
Not sure what you mean by "rotate sideways", but if a test body floats in the Poiseuille flow, it will be rotated by the gradient. The vorticity (curl of the velocity field) can be non-zero, even if the flow velocity vectors are all parallel. But vorticity is different from turbulence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorticity#Examples

True, though it should be pointed out that while turbulence is inherently vortical, the converse is not true.

George444fg said:
Summary:: Geometric Interpretation of Turbulence

Allthough, Poiseuille flow is by definition laminar indeed. Also, there is not really rotation in the flow. But as @A.T. already mentioned, there is vorticity in the flow, i.e. draw am off-center rectangle in the flow and compute the integrated tangential velocity, this is not zero. This is a 'kind of' rotation, but only if you subtract the mean flow.

All that said, there is some validity to your intuition. Many turbulence models, used in viscous flow computations (CFD) use the gradient in the flow as a source of turbulence (together with some more complex parameters and modelling). So, the higher the gradient (as is true when you get closer to the wall) the higher the turbulence generation. This is not the entire story, because flow velocity, among others, also plays its part, but it is true to some extent.

Arjan82 said:
All that said, there is some validity to your intuition. Many turbulence models, used in viscous flow computations (CFD) use the gradient in the flow as a source of turbulence (together with some more complex parameters and modelling). So, the higher the gradient (as is true when you get closer to the wall) the higher the turbulence generation. This is not the entire story, because flow velocity, among others, also plays its part, but it is true to some extent.

One example of gradient in the flow as a source of turbulence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin–Helmholtz_instability

You have to be very careful suggesting that velocity gradients lead to turbulence, because it is not universally true. The Blasius boundary layer, Poiseuille flow, Couette flow, and many others (including the superposed fluids subject to Kelvin-Helmholtz posted above) have velocity gradients but are only unstable under certain conditions. In other words, the existence of a velocity gradient is not a sufficient condition for the generation of turbulence.

Likes FluidDroog, cjl, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
Arjan82 said:
Allthough, Poiseuille flow is by definition laminar indeed. Also, there is not really rotation in the flow. But as @A.T. already mentioned, there is vorticity in the flow, i.e. draw am off-center rectangle in the flow and compute the integrated tangential velocity, this is not zero. This is a 'kind of' rotation, but only if you subtract the mean flow.

Excuse me I used the wrong term. We have rotational flow.

boneh3ad said:
You have to be very careful suggesting that velocity gradients lead to turbulence, because it is not universally true. The Blasius boundary layer, Poiseuille flow, Couette flow, and many others (including the superposed fluids subject to Kelvin-Helmholtz posted above) have velocity gradients but are only unstable under certain conditions. In other words, the existence of a velocity gradient is not a sufficient condition for the generation of turbulence.
Excuse me I used the wrong term. I meant rotational flow, not turbulent

Do you mean rotational flow (large scale structures rotating around some center) or vorticity (local flow parameter, or point value, like velocity and pressure)?

Arjan82 said:
Do you mean rotational flow (large scale structures rotating around some center) or vorticity (local flow parameter, or point value, like velocity and pressure)?
Yep exactly that, I made a mistake

George444fg said:
Yep exactly that, I made a mistake
exactly what? rotation or vorticity?

Arjan82 said:
exactly what? rotation or vorticity?
rotation

1. What is the geometric interpretation of turbulence?

The geometric interpretation of turbulence is a way of understanding and visualizing the complex and chaotic patterns of fluid flow. It involves studying the shapes and structures that form in turbulent flow and how they interact with each other.

2. How does geometry play a role in understanding turbulence?

Geometry plays a crucial role in understanding turbulence because it helps us visualize and analyze the patterns and structures that form in turbulent flow. By studying the shapes and structures, we can gain insights into the underlying mechanisms and dynamics of turbulence.

3. What are some common geometric features of turbulent flows?

Some common geometric features of turbulent flows include vortices, eddies, and jets. These structures are formed due to the chaotic and irregular motion of the fluid, and they play a significant role in the transport of energy and momentum in turbulent flow.

4. How does the geometry of a turbulent flow affect its behavior?

The geometry of a turbulent flow can greatly affect its behavior. Different shapes and structures can lead to different flow patterns and dynamics, such as the formation of turbulence cascades or the development of large-scale coherent structures. Understanding the geometry can help predict and control the behavior of turbulent flows.

5. What techniques are used to study the geometric interpretation of turbulence?

There are various techniques used to study the geometric interpretation of turbulence, including flow visualization methods such as dye or smoke injection, particle image velocimetry, and numerical simulations. These techniques allow us to observe and analyze the complex structures and patterns in turbulent flows and gain a deeper understanding of their behavior.