Geometric optics and Fermat's principle

In summary, the trajectory of a ray of light can be described by the equation ##y = -\frac{1}{a} + \frac{A}{na} \cosh{\frac{na}{A}(x-x_0)}##. In order to determine the horizontal distance d from the observer to the ground, the relation ##tan(\theta) = \frac{y}{d} = y'## can be used, where ##\theta## is the angle of the hypotenuse to the horizontal. This can be rearranged to give an expression for d in terms of y and y'. The Fermat formula, ##A =\frac{n(1+ay)}{\sqrt{1+(y')^
whatisreality

Homework Statement

A ray travels as shown in the image attached below. In this case, Fermat's principle may be written as

##A =\frac{n(1+ay)}{\sqrt{1+(y')^2}}##

Where y' is dy/dx, n is the index of refraction and A is a real constant.

The trajectory of a ray of light is given by

##y = -\frac{1}{a}## ## + \frac{A}{na}## ##\cosh{\frac{na}{A}(x-x0)}##

When the ray is observed from a height y above the x axis, it seems to come from the ground at horizontal distance d from the observer (see figure). Determine d if a(x−x0) is small. Write your answer in terms of y and a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to work out the specific trajectory for the ray that grazes the x-axis at xg. For x=xg, dy/dx is 0 and y=0, so at that point A = n. Although there is a sqrt involved, take positive n because n=c/v is always positive as far as I know.

Sub that into the second equation for y, taking y=0 again, then I got xg = x0.

So the specific trajectory of this ray would then be

##y = -\frac{1}{a}## ## + \frac{1}{a}## ##\cosh{a(x-xg)}##

Really have no clue what to do from there! I did try finding the tangent to the curve to maybe find an expression for the length of the hypotenuse, but that didn't work. So I don't know.

Attachments

• optics.png
    optics.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
If the eye is at coordinates (x,y) and y' represents the gradient at that point then what expression can you write for d in terms of y and y'?

If you can do that, you just need to get rid of y'. Could the Fermat formula be of any help?

andrewkirk said:
If the eye is at coordinates (x,y) and y' represents the gradient at that point then what expression can you write for d in terms of y and y'?

If you can do that, you just need to get rid of y'. Could the Fermat formula be of any help?
Oh yeah! An expression such as y'2= d2+y2? Rearranged to make d the subject, then rearrange the fermat formula to make y' the subject and sub into the d = expression, along with the given value of y!

whatisreality said:
An expression such as ##y'^2= d^2+y^2##?
Yes, but not that particular expression. ##y'## is the gradient, which is the tangent of the angle of the hypotenuse to the horizontal. What is the relation of that to ##d## and ##y##?

andrewkirk said:
Yes, but not that particular expression. ##y'## is the gradient, which is the tangent of the angle of the hypotenuse to the horizontal. What is the relation of that to ##d## and ##y##?
Oh, ok... so tan(θ) = ##\frac{y}{d}##=##y'##? So in fact, d = y/y' then?

I don't understand why not the first expression isn't right though. Because the gradient is dy/dx, and dx at the point we're looking at is d, isn't it? I thought the hypotenuse would be represented, when squared, by ##d^2 + y^2##.
Although I do know why dy/dx is the tan of the angle of the hypotenuse to the horizontal.

Last edited:
But then, if I use

Then since I've been given that a(x-xg) is small, cosh(a(x-xg)) = 1. So I'd get that y=0 and therefore d = 0, wouldn't I?

whatisreality said:
But then, if I use

I wouldn't use that, because it has x in it and you are looking for a formula for d in terms of only y and a. Try instead using the first formula in the OP:
$$
A =\frac{n(1+ay)}{\sqrt{1+(y')^2}}
$$

andrewkirk said:
I wouldn't use that, because it has x in it and you are looking for a formula for d in terms of only y and a. Try instead using the first formula in the OP:
$$
A =\frac{n(1+ay)}{\sqrt{1+(y')^2}}
$$
It does have x in it, but x disappears because I've been given that a(x-xg) is small. I know that y isn't zero! So why would I get that result?

1. What is geometric optics?

Geometric optics is a branch of optics that studies the behavior of light as it travels in a straight line and interacts with surfaces and boundaries. It does not consider the wave nature of light, but instead uses the principles of geometry to predict the path of light rays.

2. What is Fermat's principle?

Fermat's principle states that light will always take the path that requires the least time to travel between two points. This principle is based on the assumption that light travels at a constant speed in a vacuum, and is the basis for many geometric optics calculations and explanations.

3. How is Fermat's principle used in geometric optics?

Fermat's principle is used to explain the behavior of light rays as they interact with surfaces and boundaries. By considering the path that takes the least time, we can predict the path of light rays as they reflect, refract, and diffract.

4. What are some real-life applications of geometric optics and Fermat's principle?

Geometric optics and Fermat's principle have many real-life applications, such as in the design of lenses, mirrors, and optical instruments like microscopes and telescopes. They are also used in the study of atmospheric optics, which explains phenomena such as rainbows and mirages. Additionally, they are used in industries such as photography, telecommunications, and laser technology.

5. Are there any limitations to using geometric optics and Fermat's principle?

Geometric optics and Fermat's principle have limitations when applied to certain situations, such as when light waves are involved or when the scale of the system is very small. They also do not take into account the effects of diffraction, which can cause deviations from the predicted path of light rays. In these cases, more advanced theories and principles, such as wave optics, must be used.