Geometric Optics: Solving for Position & Nature of Image

In summary: That's a much more reasonable question.In summary, the first part of the problem involves finding the position of an image formed by a convex lens of focal length 80 mm when an object is placed 400 mm in front of it. The image is located 100 mm from the lens. The next part involves a second convex lens with a magnifying power of X8 being placed 125 mm behind the first lens. The focal length of this lens can
Darth Frodo

Homework Statement

An object is placed 400 mm in front of a convex lens of focal length 80 mm. Find the position of the image formed. State the nature of this image.

A second convex lens of magnifying power X8 is placed 125 mm behind the first convex lens.
What is the focal length of this lens?
Find the position of the final image formed and state its nature.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first part is pretty easy,

[itex]\frac{1}{U} + \frac{1}{V} = \frac{1}{F} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{1}{V} = \frac{1}{80} - \frac{1}{400} [/itex]

[itex]V = 100 mm[/itex]

Next part is where I'm unsure. Here's my attempt,

[itex]m = \frac{-V}{U}[/itex]

[itex]8 = \frac{-V}{U}[/itex]

[itex]8 = \frac{-V}{25}[/itex]

[itex]V = -200mm[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{U} + \frac{1}{V} = \frac{1}{F} [/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{F} = \frac{1}{25} - \frac{1}{200}[/itex]

[itex]F = 28.6 mm[/itex]

Is this the correct method?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second lens magnifying power is defined (most of the time) by 1/4 diopters + 1. It is not a function of where the object is placed. So 8 = 1/4 d + 1, solve for d, then f = 1/d in meters. But now you have 2 lenses with a distance between them so your job now is to come up with the effective focal length of the two lenses with their separation accounted for.

Hmm, that's strange. What if I put this into context and said I was a freshman and had never encountered this formula before?

Darth Frodo said:
Hmm, that's strange. What if I put this into context and said I was a freshman and had never encountered this formula before?

If it's any consolation, I had to look up the meaning of a " ... lens with magnification power of x" also. And I got my degree in 1962!

And it's always possible the question had a different intent, like maybe the magnification of the object was 8 after inserting the second lens ...

I can confirm that your method is correct. You have correctly used the lens equation to find the position of the image formed by the second convex lens. The negative sign in the magnification equation indicates that the image is inverted, which is consistent with the nature of the image formed by a convex lens.

To determine the focal length of the second lens, you have correctly used the lens equation with the known values of the object distance (125 mm) and the image distance (-200 mm). This gives a focal length of 28.6 mm, which is a positive value as expected for a convex lens.

Finally, the position of the final image can be found by adding the image distance of the first lens (100 mm) and the image distance of the second lens (-200 mm). This gives a final image distance of -100 mm, indicating that the final image is located 100 mm in front of the second lens. The nature of this image would also be inverted, as it is formed by a convex lens.

Overall, your approach and calculations are correct. Well done!

Related to Geometric Optics: Solving for Position & Nature of Image

What is geometric optics?

Geometric optics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of light as it travels in a straight line and interacts with different materials and surfaces. It focuses on how light is reflected, refracted, and absorbed, and how these processes can be mathematically modeled.

What is the position of an image in geometric optics?

The position of an image in geometric optics is the location where the light rays from an object converge or diverge after passing through a lens or other optical element. It is usually measured in terms of distance from the lens or the object, and can be either real or virtual depending on the nature of the image formed.

How do you determine the nature of an image in geometric optics?

The nature of an image in geometric optics can be determined by observing the direction in which the light rays from an object converge or diverge after passing through a lens or other optical element. If the light rays converge, a real image is formed, while if they diverge, a virtual image is formed.

What is an object distance in geometric optics?

The object distance in geometric optics is the distance between the object and the lens or other optical element. It is an important parameter in determining the position and nature of the image formed, as well as the magnification of the image.

What are some common applications of geometric optics?

Geometric optics has many practical applications, including in the design of lenses and optical systems for cameras, microscopes, telescopes, and other imaging devices. It is also used in the development of corrective lenses for vision correction and in the analysis of optical phenomena such as mirages and rainbows.