Geometric Progression sequence with an Arithmetic Progression grouping problem

In summary, the solution for the given problem is 2^[(n^2 + n)/2] - 1, which can be obtained by finding the sum of all terms in the first n groups and then subtracting the sum of the terms in the first n-1 groups. This results in a simplified expression of 2^(n^2+n)/2 - 2^(n^2-n)/2, which can be further simplified to the given solution by dividing by a term.
nicodemus1
Good Day,

My friends and I are stuck on solving the last part of the attached problem.

The solution is 2^[(n^2 + n)/2] - 1.

Can anyone help us with solving this?

Thanks & Regards,
Nicodemus

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The solution you give would be the sum of all the terms in the first n groups, not the sum of just the terms in the nth group.

Let:

$\displaystyle p<q$ where $\displaystyle p,q\in\mathbb{N}$

and then:

$\displaystyle S=2^p+2^{p+1}+2^{p+2}+\cdots+2^{q}$

$\displaystyle 2S=2^{p+1}+2^{p+2}+2^{p+3}+\cdots+2^{q}+2^{q+1}$

Subtracting the former from the latter, we find:

$\displaystyle S=2^{q+1}-2^p$

Now, let:

$\displaystyle p=\frac{n^2-n}{2},\,q=\frac{n^2+n}{2}-1$

Good Day,

Thank you for the reply.

However, I don't see how it simplifies to the given solution. If it does, then I would first have to divide the expression by a term, right? How do I obtain that term and division from?

Thanks & Regards,
Nicodemus

The given solution is for:

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{\frac{n^2+n}{2}-1}2^k$

However, you are being asked to compute:

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=\frac{n^2-n}{2}}^{\frac{n^2+n}{2}-1}2^k$

Hello Nicodemus,

I would be happy to help you with solving this problem. The first step is to understand the given solution. The term 2^[(n^2 + n)/2] represents a geometric progression with a common ratio of 2. This means that each term in the sequence is multiplied by 2 to get the next term. The exponent, (n^2 + n)/2, is the number of terms in the sequence.

The term -1 at the end represents an arithmetic progression with a common difference of -1. This means that each term in the sequence is subtracted by 1 to get the next term. The -1 at the end is subtracted to account for the first term in the arithmetic progression, which is 1.

To solve the problem, you need to first find the number of terms in the geometric progression, which is (n^2 + n)/2. Then, you need to find the sum of the geometric progression, which is given by the formula (a * (r^n - 1))/(r-1), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio. In this case, a = 1 and r = 2.

Once you have the sum of the geometric progression, you can add the -1 at the end to account for the first term in the arithmetic progression. This will give you the final solution of 2^[(n^2 + n)/2] - 1.

I hope this helps you understand the solution and solve the problem. Let me know if you need any further clarification or assistance.

Best regards,

1. What is a geometric progression sequence?

A geometric progression sequence is a sequence of numbers in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value called the common ratio. For example, the sequence 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 is a geometric progression with a common ratio of 2.

2. What is an arithmetic progression grouping problem?

An arithmetic progression grouping problem involves dividing a set of numbers into groups where each group follows an arithmetic progression. The common difference between consecutive terms in each group is the same.

3. How do you solve a geometric progression sequence with an arithmetic progression grouping problem?

To solve this type of problem, first identify the common ratio of the geometric progression and the common difference of the arithmetic progression in each group. Then, use this information to find the missing terms in each group and form the complete sequence.

4. What are some real-life applications of geometric progression sequences with arithmetic progression grouping?

Geometric progression sequences with arithmetic progression grouping can be found in various fields such as finance, population growth, and physics. For example, compound interest in banking follows a geometric progression, and the growth of bacteria in a petri dish follows an arithmetic progression grouping.

5. How can understanding geometric progression sequences with arithmetic progression grouping be useful?

Understanding this concept can be useful in problem-solving and predicting patterns in real-life situations. It can also be helpful in understanding mathematical concepts such as exponential growth and series. Additionally, it can be applied in fields such as data analysis, finance, and engineering.