Geometric Series with Complex Numbers

In summary, the problem involves finding the real numbers m and n in a geometric series with three consecutive elements. The approach of using the conjugate was attempted but proved unsuccessful. Instead, the common ratio was used to create a system of equations which yielded the values of m=2 and n=6 as a possible solution.
Yankel
Hello all,

Three consecutive elements of a geometric series are:

m-3i, 8+i, n+17i

where n and m are real numbers. I need to find n and m.

I have tried using the conjugate in order to find (8+i)/(m-3i) and (n+17i)/(8+i), and was hopeful that at the end I will be able to compare the real and imaginary parts of the ratio, but I got difficult algebraic expressions, so I figure out it's not the way. Can you assist please ?

Thanks !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello all,

Three consecutive elements of a geometric series are:

m-3i, 8+i, n+17i

where n and m are real numbers. I need to find n and m.

I have tried using the conjugate in order to find (8+i)/(m-3i) and (n+17i)/(8+i), and was hopeful that at the end I will be able to compare the real and imaginary parts of the ratio, but I got difficult algebraic expressions, so I figure out it's not the way. Can you assist please ?

Thanks !

Rather than the conjugate think about the sequence side of it instead - can you find a pair of expressions for the common ratio (and therefore equal to each other)?

That's what I was trying to do, to find two expressions for the ratio. I need two equations somehow.

Yankel said:
That's what I was trying to do, to find two expressions for the ratio. I need two equations somehow.

$r= \dfrac{8+i}{m-3i} = \dfrac{n+17i}{8+i}$

$63+16i = (mn+51)+(17m-3n)i$

$mn=12$

$17m-3n=16$

one solution for the system is $m=2$, $n=6$

there is another possible, but I'm too lazy to check.

1. What is a geometric series with complex numbers?

A geometric series with complex numbers is a series where each term is a complex number, and the ratio between consecutive terms is constant. It has the form a + ar + ar^2 + ar^3 + ..., where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. How is the sum of a geometric series with complex numbers calculated?

The sum of a geometric series with complex numbers can be calculated using the formula S = a(1-r^n)/(1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the series.

3. Can the common ratio in a geometric series with complex numbers be a complex number?

Yes, the common ratio in a geometric series with complex numbers can be a complex number. This means that the series can have both real and imaginary terms.

4. How do complex numbers affect the convergence of a geometric series?

The convergence of a geometric series with complex numbers is determined by the magnitude of the common ratio. If the magnitude is less than 1, the series will converge, and if the magnitude is greater than or equal to 1, the series will diverge.

5. Can a geometric series with complex numbers have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a geometric series with complex numbers can have an infinite number of terms, as long as the common ratio has a magnitude less than 1. In this case, the series will converge to a finite sum.