Real conjugates of complex numbers?

In summary, the conjugates of complex numbers are real but not the imaginary conjugates. They are both on equal footing when it comes to addition, but the reflection you are considering is not as useful as "normal" conjugation.
samir
Hi!

We have discussed complex numbers in class and their conjugates. From what I understand only the imaginary unit is conjugated. But I wonder if there are such things as real conjugates of complex numbers?

Given the following points:

$$A=(-2+i)$$
$$B=(2+3i)$$
$$C=(-4-3i)$$
$$D=(-4+i)$$

I would argue that their imaginary conjugates are:

$$\overline{A}=(-2-i)$$
$$\overline{B}=(2-3i)$$
$$\overline{C}=(-4+3i)$$
$$\overline{D}=(4-i)$$

I would argue that their real conjugates are:

$$\overline{A}=(2+i)$$
$$\overline{B}=(-2+3i)$$
$$\overline{C}=(4-3i)$$
$$\overline{D}=(4+i)$$

Are these valid statements? Do we ever seek real conjugates of complex numbers? If not, why not? If a problem description only states that we seek a "conjugate" of a complex number, is it always implied that it is the imaginary conjugate we seek?

I have plotted the imaginary conjugates in the following image. (You will have to "imagine" the real conjugates.)

View attachment 5481

Attachments

• 2016-04-04-im-conjugate.png
    2016-04-04-im-conjugate.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I understand what you are trying to say, but no: such a concept is hardly ever used.

One can think of conjugation as reflection about the real axis, and (from symmetry) one might want to investigate the usefulness of reflection about the imaginary axis.

As far as *addition* goes, they appear to be on equal footing (this is in keeping with regarding complex numbers as a two-dimensional vector space over the reals-that is, the Argand plane). But the reflection you are considering isn't as useful as "normal" conjugation for this very important reason:

Complex conjugation respects complex multiplication AS WELL AS addition. That is:

$\overline{zw} = \overline{z}\cdot \overline{w}$.

This is NOT the case for the "other reflection".

For example, let's multiply $2 + 3i$ and $1 - i$:

$(2 + 3i)(1 - i) = 2 - 2i + 3i -3i^2 = 2 - i - (-3) = 5 + i$.

Reflecting across the imaginary axis, we have $-5 + i$.

If we reflect both complex numbers first, we have: $-2 + 3i$ and $-1 - i$. Now we multiply and get:

$(-2 + 3i)(-1 - i) = (-2)(-1) + (-2)(-i) + 3i(-1) - 3i^2 = 2 + 2i - 3i - (-2) = 5 - i$.

As you can see the two results are not equal.

It turns out that the map $z \mapsto \overline{z}$ (or $a + ib \mapsto a - ib$, if you prefer) preserves the field structure of the complex numbers, and $a + ib \mapsto -a + ib$ does not. Put another way, in $\Bbb C$, the complex numbers $i$ and $-i = i^3 = \dfrac{1}{i}$ are interchangeable (if we do so "globally"), but $1$ and $-1$ have DIFFERENT algebraic properties ($1$ is the multiplicative identity, $-1$ is not), and switching them "ruins multiplication".

1. What are real conjugates of complex numbers?

Real conjugates of complex numbers are pairs of complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. For example, the real conjugates of 2+3i are 2-3i.

2. Why are real conjugates important in complex analysis?

Real conjugates are important in complex analysis because they allow us to simplify complex expressions and equations, making them easier to work with. They also play a key role in determining the roots and factors of polynomial equations.

3. How do you find the real conjugate of a complex number?

To find the real conjugate of a complex number, simply change the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the real conjugate of 4-6i is 4+6i.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of real conjugates?

The geometric interpretation of real conjugates is that they represent points on the complex plane that are symmetric about the real axis. This means that their distance from the real axis is the same, but they lie on opposite sides of it.

5. Can a complex number be its own real conjugate?

Yes, a complex number can be its own real conjugate if its imaginary part is equal to zero. In other words, the complex number is purely real. For example, the real conjugate of 5 is 5.