Geometry and Discrete, prove this?

In summary, the conversation involves finding the intersection point of the right bisectors of the sides of a triangle with vertices A(0,a), B(0,0), and C(b,c). The suggested method is to find the midpoint and slope of each side and use this information to find the Cartesian equation of each right bisector. The equations can then be solved to find a unique solution for the point of intersection. There may be confusion and difficulty in solving the problem, but ultimately the solution involves setting y = a/2 and solving for x in the other two equations.
Hadjiev
The question asks:

In triangle ABC, with vertices A(0,a), B(0,0), and C(b,c), prove that the right bisecors of the sides meet at a common point.

Ok, this question is really getting to me. I know that I could find the equations of all three right bisectors and then solve for x and y through substitution. However, when I try to solve it through substitution I get 50 variables and no cancellations. I'm sure there is an easier way. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you should be able to find the mid-point and slope of each side of the triangle. With this, you should be able to find the Cartesian equation of the right bisector of each side (note, the slope of the side AB is undefined, but you can still find the Cartesian equation for the right bisector; actually, the right bisector of this side has the easiest equation to find). This will give you 3 equations with 2 unknowns. You should be able to find a unique solution for these unknowns.

I did just that. I found the midpoint of each side, took the slope, and then determined the equation of each right bisector. My one equation is y=a/2, whereas my other two eqns are huge. Is there a way to simplify the other two equations using y = a/2? Can you please show me how to prove this problem? I understand the idea, I just can't get it to work.

No matter how "huge" your other two equations are, they must be of the form

y = mx + d

where m and d are just constants (in terms of a, b, and c, which are also just constants). You'll get three equations:

y = a/2
y = m1x + d1
y = m2x + d2

You want to prove that there is a unique solution to this problem. They must have taught you what it means to prove that there are exactly n solutions to a system of equations (in this case, n = 1), and how to do it. You can prove not only that there exists a unique solution to these equations, you can also say what that solution is.

The segment from A(0,a) to B(0,0) has midpoint (0, a/2) is horizontal. The equation of the perpendicular bisector is, as you say, y= a/2.

The segment from B(0, 0) to C(b, c) has midpoint (b/2, c/2) and slope c/b. The equation of the perpendicular bisector is
y= -b/c(x- b/2)+ c/2.

The segment from A(0,a) to C(b,c) has midpoint (b/2, (a+c)/2) and slope (c-a)/b. The equation of the perpendicular bisector is
y= (b/(a-c))(x- b/2)+ (a+c)/2.

They don't look all that "huge"! And I surely don't see where you got "50 variables". Even if you count a, b, c as variables (which they are not), that would still be only 5. Actually, there are only 2 "variables", x and y.

I am so confused. I'm going to skip it and hope that a question like that isn't on my test. Thanks for your time.

You know immediately that the y coordinate of the point of intersection must be a/2 because one of your lines always has that y coordinate. What happens if you set y= a/2 in the other two equations and solve for x?

Related to Geometry and Discrete, prove this?

1. What is Geometry and Discrete?

Geometry and Discrete are two branches of mathematics that deal with the study of shapes, sizes, and structures. Geometry focuses on the study of continuous shapes, while Discrete focuses on the study of discrete, or separate, objects.

2. How are Geometry and Discrete related?

Geometry and Discrete are related in that they both involve the study of mathematical structures and their properties. They also both use logic and proofs to solve problems and make conclusions.

3. What is the importance of proving in Geometry and Discrete?

Proving is crucial in Geometry and Discrete as it allows us to validate the truth of mathematical statements and theorems. It also helps us to understand the underlying principles and concepts of these branches of mathematics.

4. How do you prove a statement in Geometry and Discrete?

To prove a statement in Geometry and Discrete, one must use logical reasoning and mathematical principles to show that the statement is true. This can involve using definitions, axioms, and previously proven theorems.

5. Can you give an example of a proof in Geometry and Discrete?

Sure! An example of a proof in Geometry and Discrete would be showing that the sum of the angles in a triangle is equal to 180 degrees. This can be proven using the definition of a triangle, the properties of parallel lines, and the angle sum theorem.