Proving one equation, cyclic in variables ##a,b,c##, to another

In summary, the problem was to reduce the L.H.S. into the R.H.S. using the proper method. The attempt at solving the problem involved expanding the R.H.S. into the L.H.S., but it was deemed unsatisfactory. A suggested solution was to use the Factor Theorem to notice that the L.H.S. is divisible by (a-b), (b-c), and (c-a), and that the final linear factor in a, b, and c must be -1. A further suggestion was to explicitly divide after factoring out these terms.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Prove the following identity : ##\pmb{a^3(b-c)+b^3(c-a)+c^3(a-b) = -(a-b)(b-c)(c-a)(a+b+c)}##
Relevant Equations
I don't know if the following three formulae will be useful, all equivalent to one another and written out in different forms.
1. ##ab(a-b)+bc(b-c)+ca(c-a) = -(a-b)(b-c)(c-a)##
2. ##a^2(b-c)+b^2(c-a)+c^2(a-b)=-(a-b)(b-c)(c-a)##
3. ##a(b^2-c^2)+b(c^2-a^2)+c(a^2-b^2)= (a-b)(b-c)(c-a)##
Problem statement : Let me copy and paste the problem statement from the text :
1640172802283.png

Attempt at solution : I could not solve the problem reducing the L.H.S into the R.H.S. However, I could solve the problem by expanding the R.H.S. into the L.H.S., though it is less than satisfactory. Below is my attempt.

Expanding the R.H.S.
##=-(a-b)(b-c)(c-a)(a+b+c) = (-bc+c^2+ab-ac)(a^2-\cancel{ab}+\cancel{ab}-b^2+ac-bc)= (c^2+ab-bc-ac)(a^2-b^2+ac-bc)##
##=\cancel{a^2c^2}+a^3b-\bcancel{a^2bc}-a^3c-\cancel{b^2c^2}-ab^3+b^3c+\xcancel{ab^2c}+ac^3+\bcancel{a^2bc}-\xcancel{abc^2}-\cancel{a^2c^2}-bc^3-\xcancel{ab^2c}+\cancel{b^2c^2}+\xcancel{abc^2}##
##= a^3(b-c)+b^3(c-a)+c^3(a-b)##. ##\Huge{\mathbf{\checkmark}}##

Issue : I have solved the problem, but in an unsatisfactory way, expanding the R.H.S to the L.H.S.

Does anyone know to reduce the L.H.S to the R.H.S, which is the proper way to solve the problem?

A hint or suggestion will be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
We assume LHS is divisible by (a-b),(b-c) and (c-a) so let us see it,
[tex]LHS=(a-b)[c^3-c(a^2+ab+b^2)+ab(a+b)]=(a-b)[c^3-c(a+b)^2+ab(a+b+c)]=(a-b)(a+b+c)[c(c-a-b)+ab] [/tex]
and so on.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
We assume LHS is divisible by (a-b),(b-c) and (c-a) so let us see it,
[tex]LHS=(a-b)[c^3-c(a^2+ab+b^2)+ab(a+b)]=(a-b)[c^3-c(a+b)^2+ab(a+b+c)]=(a-b)(a+b+c)[c(c-a-b)+ab] [/tex]
and so on.
I do not get your last expression when I divide the expression by ##(a-b)##. I copy and paste my work below. Sorry if the font is too too small.

1640266793150.png

Last edited:
I don't think there was anything wrong with cranking out a solution. You could, however, notice that the LHS is ##0## whenever ##a = b, b = c## or ##a = c##, hence ##a-b, b-c## and ##c-a## are all factors.

Then you could notice that every term on the LHS has order ##4## in ##a, b, c##, so we must have a final factor that is linear in ##a, b, c##.

Finally, notice that, in particular, ##a^3b## has coefficient of ##1## on the LHS. And, the coefficient of ##a^2b## in ##(a-b)(b-c)(c-a)## is ##-1##. The final linear factor in ##a## must be ##-1##; and by symmetry be ##-1## for ##b## and ##c## as well.

Excellent @PeroK and thank you. I should have known better and used the so-called Factor Theorem at once. While you have literally solved the whole problem with your hints, I'd still like to carry out the last bit myself by explicit division after factoring out ##(a-b),(b-c)\;\text{and}\;(c-a)## terms.

1. How do I prove that one equation is cyclic in variables ##a,b,c##?

To prove that an equation is cyclic in variables ##a,b,c##, you need to show that it remains unchanged when the variables are cyclically permuted. This means that if you swap the positions of ##a##, ##b##, and ##c## in the equation, it will still hold true. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations or by showing that the equation has the same form when the variables are switched.

2. What is the significance of an equation being cyclic in variables ##a,b,c##?

An equation being cyclic in variables ##a,b,c## means that it has a special symmetry. This can be useful in simplifying calculations and solving problems involving these variables. It also allows for the use of cyclic properties and identities in mathematical proofs.

3. Can an equation be cyclic in more than three variables?

Yes, an equation can be cyclic in any number of variables. The term "cyclic" simply means that the variables can be permuted in a circular manner without changing the equation. So, an equation can be cyclic in two, three, four, or any number of variables.

4. How do I prove that one equation is cyclic to another?

To prove that one equation is cyclic to another, you need to show that they have the same form when the variables are cyclically permuted. This means that if you swap the positions of ##a##, ##b##, and ##c## in both equations, they will still be equivalent. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations or by showing that the equations have the same underlying structure.

5. Are there any specific techniques for proving cyclic equations?

There are various techniques that can be used to prove that an equation is cyclic in variables ##a,b,c##. Some common methods include using algebraic manipulations, using cyclic properties and identities, and using symmetry arguments. It ultimately depends on the specific equation and the approach that best suits the problem at hand.