Geometry Optimization of Crystals

In summary: L2-norm of the forces at the termination of the algorithm as a measure of success.In summary, the author found an algorithm that uses the L2-norm of the forces at the termination of the algorithm as a measure of success in minimization of the energy of an inorganic crystal.
handsomecat
I'm stuck with a problem of finding the minimum energy of an inorganic crystal. Crystal is of monoclinic structure with 18 parameters to specify its internal coordinates and 2 atomic species. Am using a classical interatomic potential found in literature.

The minimization involves both the 18 parameters and the cell vectors.

Have tried conjugate gradient method but algorithm never gives me a satisfactory minimum - the L2-norm of the forces is far from zero.

The best results I got was with the Nelder-Mead simplex method. Even then, the L2-norm of the forces at the termination of the algorithm was not close to zero.

Any pointers? I was thinking of trying Damped MD next ...

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using Gaussian software...use proper method and basis set...all u need is the cartesian coordinates (not the internal coordinates which u get directly from x-ray crystallographic data)

Hello handsomecat,

Are you sure the potentials you are using are applicable to your specific system. Interatomic pair potentials tend to be system and model specific. For instance, the transferability of a Fe-C potential for diffusion modeling isn't transferable to modeling to structure of cementite (Fe3C). The main reason being that the potentials aren't just pair dependent, but also depend on the chemical environment of that pair. Maybe based on these potentials the L2 structure isn't stable. Use a ab-initio code to avoid the pitfalls of pair-potentials.

Modey3

Hi Modey3, thanks for your comments.

I have already performed ab-initio calculations and have given up on using MD for that purpose :) I am certainly aware of the shortcomings of using MD interatomic potentials (something that has given me much grief in the past 4-5 years!)

However, as a matter of interest, I never stopped wondering about how energy minimization of a unit cell wrt cell vectors and internal coordinates is done simultaneously. Nevertheless, I've found an article and all readers can refer to this article:

Bernard G. Prommer et al. Journal of Computational Physics 131, 233- 240.

Related to Geometry Optimization of Crystals

What is Geometry Optimization of Crystals?

Geometry Optimization of Crystals is a computational technique used to find the most energetically stable configuration of atoms within a crystal structure. It involves adjusting the bond lengths and angles between atoms to minimize the overall energy of the crystal.

Why is Geometry Optimization important in crystallography?

Geometry Optimization plays a crucial role in crystallography because it allows us to understand and predict the physical and chemical properties of crystals. It helps in determining the stability and reactivity of crystals, as well as their electronic, magnetic, and optical properties.

What factors affect the outcome of a Geometry Optimization calculation?

The outcome of a Geometry Optimization calculation is affected by several factors, including the starting crystal structure, the choice of computational method and basis set, and the convergence criteria. The accuracy of the potential energy surface and the treatment of interatomic forces also have a significant impact on the result.

What are the limitations of Geometry Optimization?

Geometry Optimization is limited by the quality of the initial crystal structure, which may contain experimental errors or uncertainties. It also relies on the accuracy of the computational methods used, which may not fully capture the complexity of interatomic interactions in real crystals. Additionally, Geometry Optimization is a time-consuming process and may not be feasible for large or complex crystal structures.

How can Geometry Optimization be used in materials design?

Geometry Optimization is a valuable tool in materials design as it allows for the prediction of new crystal structures with desired properties. By optimizing the geometry of crystals, we can identify the most stable and functional structures for specific applications, thus accelerating the development of new materials with improved performance and efficiency.