Get the cheapo oil change but upgrade the filter

In summary, when it comes to oil filters, it is important to invest in a quality filter that costs at least $8. Cheaper filters, such as the $3.27 one found at Walmart, can fail quickly and potentially cause damage to the vehicle's engine. It is recommended to use top brands like Purolator or Mobile 1, but to avoid bottom line filters. Many cheaper filters are made in China and may have inferior materials, such as cardboard or fiber end caps. It is also important to note that some brand name filters, including Fram, are made by Champion Labs, which has now been rebranded as FRAM Filtration. With the increasing variability in auto parts, it is crucial to carefully research and
edward
There are a lot of really tacky oil filters on the market. Get a filter that costs at least $8. The $3.27 filter that my daughter in law got with her $19.95 Walmart oil changed failed in three days.

I use the top of the line Purolator or Mobile 1 filters. There are other good brands, but avoid the bottom line filters.

The cheapo's do a poor job filtering the oil and yes, either of two internal valves can fail. If the anti drain back valve fails, as was my daughter in laws case, the vehicle will clatter like crazy on every start up.

Many of them are coming out of China.

http://www.alibaba.com/products/fram_filters/--100006343.html

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Good to know.

2milehi said:

That is a good link. Note that on the Fram filters they have cardboard or some kind of fiber end caps on the cartridge until you get up to the $8 range.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/images/Oil-Filters/Fram PH5/exploded.jpg

You get what you pay for with most any brand. A lot of brand name filters in including Fram are made by Champion Labs. Some are made in China.

Auto parts are getting to be like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

Edit: Champion Labs is Now FRAM Filtration

http://www.champlabs.com/content/royal-purple-oil-filters

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Get the cheapo oil change but upgrade the filter

1. What is the purpose of upgrading the oil filter during a cheap oil change?

Upgrading the oil filter during a cheap oil change is important because it helps to improve the overall quality and longevity of your engine. A higher quality oil filter can catch and remove more contaminants from your engine oil, leading to better engine performance and potentially prolonging the life of your engine.

2. How does upgrading the oil filter affect the cost of an oil change?

The cost of upgrading the oil filter during a cheap oil change may vary depending on the type of filter you choose. However, in the long run, it can save you money by potentially preventing more expensive engine repairs or replacements due to poor oil filtration.

3. Are there any downsides to upgrading the oil filter during a cheap oil change?

One potential downside of upgrading the oil filter during a cheap oil change is the initial cost. Some higher quality oil filters may be more expensive than the standard ones included in a cheap oil change package. However, the benefits of a better oil filter may outweigh the cost in the long run.

4. How often should I upgrade my oil filter during an oil change?

The frequency of upgrading your oil filter during an oil change may vary depending on your vehicle and driving habits. It is generally recommended to upgrade your oil filter every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or every 3 to 6 months. However, it is always best to consult your vehicle's manual or a mechanic for specific recommendations.

5. Can I upgrade my oil filter myself during a cheap oil change?

While it is possible to upgrade your oil filter yourself during a cheap oil change, it is recommended to have it done by a professional mechanic. They have the knowledge and experience to properly install the new filter and ensure it is the correct one for your vehicle. Plus, many oil change shops offer affordable options for upgrading your oil filter.