Getting an Engineering Job after a Career Gap

In summary, the individual is a recent graduate with a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering degree and is currently in teacher's college until April 2018. They plan to stay updated with electronics projects during this time and intend to return to engineering after completing their teacher's education. They ask about their chances of getting an engineering job after a 2.5 year career gap and mention their plan to work for an engineering company before pursuing a Master's in Engineering. They also mention their efforts to stay current in electronics fundamentals and ask for recommendations for books on similar projects.
victor1992
I graduated with a Bachelor of Electrical Engineering degree in 2015, and am right now in teacher's college until April of 2018. Within these two years, I plan to keep up to date with electronics projects that I can do on my own time. Ultimately, I plan to go back to Engineering right after my Teacher's Education.

What are my chances of getting an Engineering Job after this 2.5 career gap?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you plan to keep up with projects and work hard to keep up with the fundamentals, it probably won't hurt you since you were in school. The ideal would be to get a master's in EE if you know you want to be an electrical engineer.

I plan to work for a while in an Engineering company after getting my teaching degree, and then go back for a Master's in Engineering. For now, I'm trying my best keep up to date with electronics fundamentals. I've recently just bought a book called "Learning the Art of Electronics", and it goes through a variety of analog and digital projects I thought were really cool. Are there any other books that go through projects like that?

1. How can I address my career gap in my engineering job application?

To address a career gap in your engineering job application, you can highlight any relevant experiences or skills you have acquired during the gap, such as volunteer work, freelance projects, or online courses. You can also explain the reason for your career gap in your cover letter or during the interview.

2. Will my career gap affect my chances of getting an engineering job?

It may affect your chances, but it is not necessarily a deal-breaker. Many employers understand that life circumstances can lead to career gaps, and they value a diverse range of experiences. Focus on highlighting your skills and qualifications, and be prepared to explain your career gap in a positive light.

3. How can I stay updated on industry developments during my career gap?

You can stay updated on industry developments by attending conferences, workshops, and webinars, networking with professionals in your field, and staying active on professional social media platforms. You can also consider taking online courses or reading industry publications to enhance your knowledge and skills.

4. Should I mention my career gap on my resume?

It is not necessary to mention your career gap on your resume unless it is relevant to the position you are applying for. However, if the gap is significant, it may be better to address it briefly in your resume to avoid any potential confusion or questions from the employer.

5. How can I prepare for a successful engineering job interview after a career gap?

To prepare for a successful engineering job interview after a career gap, research the company and the job role, practice common interview questions, and prepare examples of your skills and experiences. Be prepared to address your career gap confidently, and emphasize your motivation and readiness to return to the workforce.