Getting dogged: When your pet cheats on you

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet
In summary, the author's cat went out of the house on Christmas morning and never returned home, but later moved in with the author's neighbors. The cat next door used to live with people down the street, but moved in with my neighbors when he started getting more attention and better food there. Unfortunately, his new mommy and daddy just had a baby, so now the author sees him outside his door a lot.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...Grass is always greener
Some upwardly mobile pets may look for another home if they meet someone who has tastier food, more time for affection, better toys or a softer couch.

Veterinary behaviorist Terry Curtis of the University of Florida’s College of Veterinary Medicine in Gainesville has a cat that moved in with her after throwing over her first owner.

Molly, an orange tabby, originally belonged to Curtis’s neighbors, who also had two dogs and a newborn. The cat started coming over to visit Curtis and stayed longer each time.

“At my house, she could have toys, get more attention and not be bothered by the dogs,” Curtis says. When Curtis finally moved, Molly went with her. “The neighbors were really good friends of mine and they loved Molly, but they could tell she was happier with me.”
[continued]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26860866/

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:

My cat went out of the house on Christmas morning and never returned home ... I'm not really an animal lover however he took care of himself ever since he was little except for the food part - found him as a kitten inside the hood of my car during a morning that I took the SAT - it's been over a year since he is gone and I remember him every once in a while and wonder what happened to him. He's a quick one and very big so I'm inclined to believe that he has found greener pasteurs , he was injured and was kept inside the house for a couple of days ... perhaps he was disgruntled about this.

I was adopted by a cat once. It was a great cat, got along great with my two dogs. I have pictures of it laying stomach up across the paws of my very startled black lab/Chow mix.

Then one day the poor cat's nasty owner showed up saying it was his cat. :cry:

Mink (he couldn't meow, he just made a noise that sounded like he was saying "mink") kept coming back until I guess the owner killed him.

Evo said:
I was adopted by a cat once. It was a great cat, got along great with my two dogs.

Who adopted whom?

I believed it for like 4 seconds ...
:rofl:

I think it's only cats who cheat.

But either dog or a cat .. they are living beings with some thinking capabilities. Why request for their endless unrequited love ... I wouldn't want a dog to always stay loyal to his owner if the owner can't take his care better than anyone else. I guess those people are just some jerks some superiority complex :(

More I think more disgraceful it gets :cry:

Last edited:
My boss says he and some housemates owned a cat some years ago. One night, they attended a party at a neighbors house ... and found "their cat" right at home there! This cat was leading a double-life, and seemed to like both sets of owners equally.

All cats other than lions are solitary creatures who put up with others only if they get something out of it or are mother and young. A cat may stick around and even seem to like you, but give it a reason and it'll abandon you without ever looking back.

The cat next door used to live with people down the street, but moved in with my neighbors when he started getting more attention and better food there. Unfortunately, his new mommy and daddy just had a baby, so now I see him outside my door a lot, looking lonesome.

Math Is Hard said:
The cat next door used to live with people down the street, but moved in with my neighbors when he started getting more attention and better food there. Unfortunately, his new mommy and daddy just had a baby, so now I see him outside my door a lot, looking lonesome.

That's heartbreaking, MIH! You should adopt the poor little kitty!

I'm positive that Dr Foofer led a double life back at my old house. He rarely ate the food I gave him, but was always well fed. He'd be gone sometimes up to 3 weeks at a time.

Now he's an indoor cat at my new place and he adapted with no problem. I was really surprised. Unfortunately he gets his revenge with the constant nocturnal love fests he demands. He wakes me up at least twice a night to be petted. :frown:

I would to. That's why my girlfriend quit sleeping over.

lisab said:
That's heartbreaking, MIH! You should adopt the poor little kitty!

I probably would if my cat could stand him. He's an incredibly beautiful main coon. I give him petting and treats when I see him outside.

1. What does it mean when a dog cheats on their owner?

Just like humans, dogs can also form strong emotional and physical bonds with others, including other dogs. When a dog "cheats" on their owner, it means they have formed a connection with another dog that goes beyond their relationship with their owner. This can include playing, cuddling, or even mating with the other dog.

2. Is it common for dogs to cheat on their owners?

While there is no concrete data on this topic, it is not uncommon for dogs to form connections with other dogs that may be considered "cheating" by their owners. Dogs are social animals and can form strong bonds with others, even if they have a loving and attentive owner.

3. Can a dog's cheating behavior be prevented?

Just like with humans, it is not possible to control a dog's emotions and actions. However, as a responsible pet owner, you can ensure that your dog is well-socialized and receives enough attention and affection from you. This can make them less likely to seek attention from other dogs.

4. How can I tell if my dog is cheating on me?

It can be difficult to determine if your dog is "cheating" on you, as they do not have the ability to understand the concept of cheating. However, if you notice your dog becoming increasingly distant or forming a strong bond with another dog, it may be a sign that they are forming a new connection.

5. What should I do if my dog cheats on me?

First and foremost, it is important to remember that dogs do not understand the concept of cheating and are not capable of malicious intent. If you are concerned about your dog forming a strong bond with another dog, it may be helpful to increase your own interactions with your dog and provide them with more attention and enrichment. If the situation becomes more complicated, it may be helpful to seek the advice of a professional dog trainer or behaviorist.

Back