Getting out of Research Plans?

• Thread starter Acala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the conversation revolves around a freshman physics major who committed to doing research with their department over the summer but is now having doubts. They are not interested in the professor's branch of physics and are afraid of burning out. They are seeking advice on whether to back out or continue with the research. Some suggest sticking to the commitment while others advise taking a break or being honest with the professor. Ultimately, it is acknowledged that as a freshman, the professor's expectations are not high and it is up to the student to decide what is best for them.
Acala
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice from people who are more experienced in things like this.

I am an undergraduate, freshman physics major, and I have made plans this summer to do research with my department. Of course it's not going to be anything too advanced, but I thought it was a start. I am probably going to begin in about 2-3 weeks.

My problem is that I am not sure anymore if I want to do it or not. I am really not that interested in the professor's branch of physics (and I don't want to join his research group), and also I am afraid I'll burn myself out (this last semester was a lot of work, and the next one will be even more). I'd really just like to go home. I am afraid though, that now that I've talked to this professor (maybe three times), it will hurt my reputation with the department to back out. Worse still, he is one of the big researchers in the department, and he'd be a bad person to get on the wrong side of.

If you're wondering why I decided to do this in the first place, I am a freshman and just got rather excited at the idea of research. It was a bad choice in my case.

Does anyone have any advice? I hesitant to do it, but also afraid to back out. I am sure it is not all that important with me being a freshman at all, but I don't want to get started out in a bad way. Thanks, everyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a commitment. That said, it's better to bail out now than to say you'll do it and do a lousy job.

I second Vanadium's first statement. You told them you would do it, and it looks flakey to back out. Personally, I have never been in a situation involving research like this. But I have agreed to do things that, as the start time approached, I did not feel like doing. Its kind of a cheesy parental thing to say, but "it builds character."

I'd say don't hesitate to back out of it. If he gets offended, then console yourself in the knowledge that any teacher who doesn't understand that an 18 year old's interests fluctuate probably isn't worth working with anyway.

I say do it anyway. I didn't think there was a chance in hell I'd be interested in mechanics of materials, before I took a course in the subject. Maybe you'll like this too.

I would say do it, but don't worry too much about it. I hate to be cynical, but as a freshman, the professor is honestly not going to expect a lot out of you. If you do anything at all, he'll probably be thrilled. So on the same note, he's not going to be terribly disappointed if you back out. Also, I would ask if there's a project you can work on from home (maybe a literature search & report, or some programming).

Acala, if you really feel you don't want to do research now, it's time to tell the prof. As nuclear85 correctly pointed out, the professor is not going to expect a lot from a freshman, so he won't be angry, almost surely. On the other side, if you worry about your research abilities (which may be the true but hidden case), just go into it. Research is a wonderful activity and if the topic is interesting for you, it may be a nice start of your career.

I would say that if you have the opportunity to take a break and feel like you need one, definitely take it. Come up with a good and convincing excuse to tell your professor. On the other hand you could be honest and tell your prof that you need a break and you'd be willing to work maybe starting july or something.

Related to Getting out of Research Plans?

1. How do I know if it's time to get out of research plans?

There is no universal answer to this question as it ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. However, some signs that it may be time to consider getting out of research plans include feeling burned out, losing interest in your field of study, or not seeing any career advancement or job opportunities in research.

2. Can I transition into a different career after being in research for a long time?

Yes, many scientists successfully transition into different careers after being in research for a significant amount of time. Your analytical skills, critical thinking abilities, and experience with data analysis and problem-solving can be valuable in a variety of industries such as consulting, science writing, or even entrepreneurship.

3. What steps should I take to leave research plans?

The first step is to assess your interests and strengths and research potential career options that align with them. Networking with professionals in your desired field can also be beneficial. You may need to update your resume and learn new skills to make yourself more marketable. Finally, have a plan in place for how you will financially support yourself during the transition period.

4. Will leaving research plans hurt my chances of returning to the field in the future?

Leaving research plans does not necessarily mean you can never return to the field. However, it may require some effort to stay up-to-date on advancements and skills in your field during the time you are pursuing a different career. Networking with colleagues and attending conferences can also help you stay connected to the research community.

5. How can I ensure a smooth transition out of research plans?

It's important to have a plan in place before leaving research plans. This may include saving enough money to support yourself during the transition, updating your resume and LinkedIn profile, and networking with professionals in your desired field. It's also important to have a positive attitude and be open to new opportunities that may come your way.