Getting Started with CASTEP: Installing & Configuring for DFT Calculations

In summary, the speaker is looking for help with installing the CASTEP software and has experience with manually installing programs but is unsure of how to proceed due to the different filetypes and releases. They ask for advice on which package to download and mention not being able to use the CASTEP email list. They also mention that they have never used the software before and would appreciate help if they provide more information.
Ben Wilson
Hi guys,

I'm trying to use the CASTEP software for dft calculations. I have plenty of documentation on how to use it once it's all up and running, however I don't know how to get to that point :/

I'm not the best with linux but I've manually installed programs before through tarballs but here I am just completely stumped by the range of different filetypes and releases that I have no idea where to start.

Has anyone else had any experience with these packages and know what i need to download to get up and runnning?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know how to do what i want to do claude?
have you used castep before?

I'm not authorised to use that email list for some unknown reason to me.

No I've never used that software. I have lots of experience installing software, but I couldn't check the installation instruction because it is not free software. But I found the mailing list, so I pointed it out.

DrClaude said:
No I've never used that software. I have lots of experience installing software, but I couldn't check the installation instruction because it is not free software. But I found the mailing list, so I pointed it out.
are you willing to help me if i provide more information?

Ben Wilson said:
are you willing to help me if i provide more information?
Yes. I would need to see the instructions on how to install.

The guy who wrote that program taught one of my courses. Unfortunately I never used it :/

What is CASTEP?

CASTEP is a computational software package used for performing density functional theory (DFT) calculations in materials science and solid-state physics.

How do I install CASTEP?

CASTEP can be installed by downloading the appropriate installation package from the official website, and following the installation instructions provided. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of UNIX/Linux commands and file systems for the installation process.

What are the system requirements for CASTEP?

The system requirements for CASTEP may vary depending on the specific version and platform. Generally, it requires a computer with a modern x86_64 processor, at least 2 GB of RAM, and a graphics card with OpenGL support. It also requires a UNIX/Linux operating system.

How do I configure CASTEP for DFT calculations?

After installation, CASTEP needs to be configured for DFT calculations. This involves setting up the appropriate input files, specifying the calculation parameters, and choosing the appropriate exchange-correlation functional. Detailed instructions for configuring CASTEP can be found in the user manual.

Can I use CASTEP for free?

CASTEP is a commercial software package and is not available for free. However, academic and non-profit institutions may be eligible for a free academic license. It is also possible to access CASTEP through a cloud-based platform or by purchasing a license. More information on licensing options can be found on the official website.