Getting Started with Open Source Contributions: Where & How?

In summary, this link is a great source of information on the history, organizations, licenses, people, and software of free and open source software.
Arti
hey!
I want to contribute to the open source but i am unable to know the exact way, how and where should I do that. If anyone can help?

Technology news on Phys.org
There IS no "the" open source. There are tons of applications, developed by different people, that are open source. Start by Googling "gnu license".

Here's one hit that is a good place to start:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Likes Arti
phinds said:
There IS no "the" open source. There are tons of applications, developed by different people, that are open source. Start by Googling "gnu license".

Here's one hit that is a good place to start:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Yes! I got that. We can start our contribution from gnu licenses directly ?

Arti said:
Yes! I got that. We can start our contribution from gnu licenses directly ?

WHAT contrbution? A contribution is not to the GNU license, it is to a specific software application developed by a specific individual or group and you have to figure out what application you want to contribute to an contact the authors or look at their web page to see what the contribution rules are.

Likes Arti
phinds said:
WHAT contrbution? A contribution is not to the GNU license, it is to a specific software application developed by a specific individual or group and you have to figure out what application you want to contribute to an contact the authors or look at their web page to see what the contribution rules are.
Gotchaa.. thanks a lot !

Depending on which computer languages and tools you use, there are probably web sites for users. If you are interested in an open source tool or language, xxxyyy, then Google "xxxyyy users group" and see what pops up. Working with them should give you some orientation and ideas for your own work. I am familiar with a Perl website cpan.org. I am also aware of a git repository, github.com where people share code, but I have no experience with it.

Likes Arti
FactChecker said:
Depending on which computer languages and tools you use, there are probably web sites for users. If you are interested in an open source tool or language, xxxyyy, then Google "xxxyyy users group" and see what pops up. Working with them should give you some orientation and ideas for your own work. I am familiar with a Perl website cpan.org. I am also aware of a git repository, github.com where people share code, but I have no experience with it.
I am familiar with C, C++, JAVA and python(basics). I am doing my bachelors, currently. Where should I start with ? Also please guide me with my first opensource contribution. Thanks.

Arti said:
I am familiar with C, C++, JAVA and python(basics). I am doing my bachelors, currently. Where should I start with ? Also please guide me with my first opensource contribution. Thanks.

You are asking too much. YOU need to find an open source application that you think is interesting and that you might like to participate in and then YOU need to contact the developers of that application and find out what the rules are. We cannot do that for you.

Go to http://sourceforge.net/ People start projects there all the time. Many projects are only partially complete. Email the project owner and find out what you can do.

Likes Arti
jim mcnamara said:
Go to http://sourceforge.net/ People start projects there all the time. Many projects are only partially complete. Email the project owner and find out what you can do.
Yes, this sounds good. Thanks a lot, this was a great help !

There are many ways one can contribute to an open source project.
For example Stockfish's project (a chess engine), became the number 1 in terms of strength due to a testing platform. Programmers can modify the code and they test on thousands of games to check whether the change was good or bad in terms of elo. This requires a lot of computing power, and anyone can share their cpu's to the task; no need to be a programmer for that.
Here are the current patches being tested: http://tests.stockfishchess.org/tests.

Likes Arti
fluidistic said:
There are many ways one can contribute to an open source project.
For example Stockfish's project (a chess engine), became the number 1 in terms of strength due to a testing platform. Programmers can modify the code and they test on thousands of games to check whether the change was good or bad in terms of elo. This requires a lot of computing power, and anyone can share their cpu's to the task; no need to be a programmer for that.
Here are the current patches being tested: http://tests.stockfishchess.org/tests.
This is amazing ! I loved it. Thanks a lot !

1. What is open source and why should I contribute?

Open source refers to software or projects that are developed collaboratively by a community of developers and made available for anyone to use and modify. Contributing to open source allows you to gain valuable experience, build your skills, and make a positive impact on the technology community.

2. How do I find open source projects to contribute to?

There are several ways to find open source projects to contribute to. You can search online for projects related to your interests or skills, explore popular open source platforms such as GitHub, or join open source communities and forums to discover new projects.

3. What skills do I need to contribute to open source?

The skills needed to contribute to open source will vary depending on the project. However, some common skills that are useful include programming languages, version control systems, and communication and collaboration skills. It's also important to have a willingness to learn and contribute to the community.

4. How do I make my first open source contribution?

The first step is to find a project that interests you and read through their contribution guidelines. Then, you can start by fixing bugs, adding new features, or improving documentation. It's important to communicate with the project maintainers and follow their guidelines to ensure your contribution is accepted.

5. How can I contribute to open source if I'm not a programmer?

There are many ways to contribute to open source besides coding. You can help with documentation, testing, design, translation, and more. Many open source projects also have non-technical tasks, such as community management, marketing, or event organization, that you can get involved in.