Getting the hubble constant from time delay in a gravitational lens

In summary, the conversation discusses a project for a cosmology course that involves determining the Hubble constant from time delay in a gravitational lens. The data being used is QSO 0957+561 and the relevant distances Dl, Ds need to be calculated. The equation for Dls is given and there is a question about whether the distances can also be calculated from the time delay or if only the redshifts should be used. The person also mentions knowing the angular separation between the two images, the redshifts of the lensing galaxy and the quasar, and the time delay between the two images. There is also a question about which lensing model would be best for this scenario, with the suggestion that the isothermal
cegec

Homework Statement

I am working on a project for my cosmology course. I need to determine the Hubble constant from time delay in a gravitational lens. We are using QSO 0957+561 for our data. My question is how do I determine the relevant distances Dl, Ds? I have Dls already. The equation for that is as follows:

Homework Equations

Dls=[tex]\frac{2c}{H_{o}}[/tex][tex]\frac{\sqrt{1+z_{l}}(1+z_{s}^{2})-\sqrt{1+z_{s}}(1+z_{l}^{2})}{(1+z_{s})^{2}(1+z_{l})}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it also possible to calculate the distances from the time delay? Or should I work strictly with the redshifts of the lens and the source?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i should have added that I also know the angular separation between the two images caused by the lens, the redshifts of both the lensing galaxy and the quasar, and the time delay between the two images. also, does anybody know which lensing model would be best for this scenario? I can use the point mass, isothermal sphere, and constant density sheet. I've heard isothermal is good.

1. What is the Hubble Constant?

The Hubble Constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is used to determine the age of the universe and the distance to faraway galaxies.

2. How is time delay used in determining the Hubble Constant?

When light from a distant galaxy passes through a massive object, such as a galaxy or cluster of galaxies, the gravitational pull causes the light to bend. This results in a time delay between multiple images of the same source. By measuring this time delay, scientists can calculate the Hubble Constant.

3. What is a gravitational lens?

A gravitational lens is a massive object that bends and magnifies light passing through it. This can create multiple images of the same source, allowing scientists to study the effects of gravity on light and make calculations about the universe.

4. How accurate is the Hubble Constant obtained from time delay in a gravitational lens?

The Hubble Constant obtained from time delay in a gravitational lens is considered to be one of the most accurate methods for determining this value. It typically has an uncertainty of less than 10%, making it a valuable tool for understanding the expansion of the universe.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using time delay in a gravitational lens to determine the Hubble Constant?

One potential drawback is the need for precise and detailed observations of the time delay between multiple images of a source. This can be challenging and time-consuming. Additionally, the accuracy of the Hubble Constant may be affected by the distribution of matter in the universe and the nature of dark matter, which are still areas of ongoing research.