Getting worse at mental arithmetic

• Thread starter FuturePhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who is struggling with mental math due to relying on calculators too much. The student used to excel in math but now feels like an idiot when it comes to basic arithmetic. They are considering reading "Secrets of Mental Math" by Arthur Benjamin, but are unsure if it would be considered cheating. The other person in the conversation reassures them that it is not cheating and that mental arithmetic is a fun and different category from algebra and calculus. The student decides to add the book to their reading list.
FuturePhysicist
Hello I have a question reguarding human calculation. I'm in high school and I have been called a "math whiz" when it comes to subjects like algebra or calculus. But my school has kids using calculators so much that I haven't been using my head much for calculations. Because of this, I feel like an idiot every time I do arithmetic in my head. I was practically a math prodigy when I was little but now I feel like a fool. I was thinking about reading the book "Secrets of Mental Math" by Arthur Benjamin, but i felt like that would be cheating or something.
P.S. I don't even remember multiplication or division on paper!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
FuturePhysicist said:
I was thinking about reading the book "Secrets of Mental Math" by Arthur Benjamin, but i felt like that would be cheating or something.
That's a fun book. Not cheating at all, just some clever methods. (That require practice.)

I put "mental arithmetic" in a completely different category from algebra and calculus. Good clean fun.

Doc Al said:
That's a fun book. Not cheating at all, just some clever methods. (That require practice.)

I put "mental arithmetic" in a completely different category from algebra and calculus. Good clean fun.
Okay, looks like I will be adding that book to my shelf then. Thank you.

Arthur Benjamin: Lightning calculation and other "Mathemagic"

Doc Al said:
Arthur Benjamin: Lightning calculation and other "Mathemagic"

Wow.

1. Why do some people struggle with mental arithmetic?

There are a variety of reasons why some people may struggle with mental arithmetic. One possible explanation is a lack of practice or exposure to math concepts. Additionally, learning disabilities or attention disorders can also make it difficult for individuals to perform mental calculations.

2. Can mental arithmetic skills be improved?

Yes, mental arithmetic skills can be improved through practice and repetition. Regularly performing mental calculations and using strategies such as breaking numbers down or using estimation can help individuals become more proficient in mental arithmetic.

3. Are there any benefits to being good at mental arithmetic?

Yes, there are several benefits to being skilled at mental arithmetic. These include improved critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, increased confidence in math skills, and the ability to perform calculations quickly and accurately without the use of a calculator.

4. What strategies can help improve mental arithmetic?

Some effective strategies for improving mental arithmetic skills include breaking numbers down into smaller, more manageable parts, using estimation to quickly approximate answers, and practicing regularly to build speed and accuracy.

5. Are there any resources available to help improve mental arithmetic?

Yes, there are many resources available to help individuals improve their mental arithmetic skills. These include online practice exercises, math games and apps, and worksheets that focus on mental calculations. Additionally, seeking help from a math tutor or enrolling in a math class can also be beneficial.