Is math really that important to do physics?

symbolipoint said:
Main point is, he both needs and wants help. But this is not so much to tell him what job he must take.

Avaro667, ask yourself exactly what jobs and what exact duties and actions do you want to do as your employment. Is your education aligning with some of those?
It's true , thanks .
Thing is my interests are in kinda more exotic areas like cryotronics/metrology/sensors tech , accelerator tech , lasers etc. I believe my education is okay ( i will be graduating with a masters in a few months - engineering degree here takes 5 years to complete ) , but another masters degree focused on these things could be beneficial . But what would be the point if there are no related jobs in my country ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Avaro667 said:
But what would be the point if there are no related jobs in my country ?
Make your EE diploma and learn German.

• Skeptical
Likes Avaro667
fresh_42 said:
Make your EE diploma and learn German.
You mean moving to Germany ?
That's a big step , i know nothing about Germany , how things work there etc.

Avaro667 said:
Well, many companies here complain that they cannot find qualified staff, especially engineers. It is a real problem currently. The workforce in general isn't a big problem due to the many refugees, but qualification is the point. Young, and qualified should be a real door opener!

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and berkeman
fresh_42 said:
Well, many companies here complain that they cannot find qualified staff, especially engineers. It is a real problem currently. The workforce in general isn't a big problem due to the many refugees, but qualification is the point. Young, and qualified should be a real door opener!
How easy is it to move there in general ? Do companies help with that at all ?
I really don't want to leave my country , but i'm also sick and tired of trying so hard and getting nothing in return so i would definitely consider it .

Avaro667 said:
How easy is it to move there in general ? Do companies help with that at all ?
I really don't want to leave my country , but i'm also sick and tired of trying so hard and getting nothing in return so i would definitely consider it .
The biggest problem would probably be to find an apartment rather than a job; also due to the many refugees.

Your questions are difficult to answer: many companies will, some probably won't. I cannot properly answer your questions without disclosing where you're from. I know it is within the EU, which means: no administrative hurdles like visas and admissions.

fresh_42 said:
The biggest problem would probably be to find an apartment rather than a job; also due to the many refugees.
It's quite the oposite here . Does this apply to most cities there ?
fresh_42 said:
Your questions are difficult to answer: many companies will, some probably won't. I cannot properly answer your questions without disclosing where you're from. I know it is within the EU, which means: no administrative hurdles like visas and admissions.
Right, i am from Greece .

Avaro667 said:
It's quite the oposite here .

Right, i am from Greece .
So your "step" would be smaller than you think. It is EU territory. And it is roughly a 2-hour flight. Not that far away. And let me put it this way: One of my standard orders for takeaway food is Bifteki and Saganaki. My sister traveled from the US to Patras only to attend the funeral of a former neighbor. This means you won't be the first from your country who came to Germany. That's what can be said in general. Details are usually a bit more complicated.

And it also means that you cannot use the m-word here (on PF) without getting into trouble. :cool:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Avaro667
fresh_42 said:
So your "step" would be smaller than you think. It is EU territory. And it is roughly a 2-hour flight. Not that far away. And let me put it this way: One of my standard orders for takeaway food is Bifteki and Saganaki. My sister traveled from the US to Patras only to attend the funeral of a former neighbor. This means you won't be the first from your country who came to Germany. That's what can be said in general. Details are usually a bit more complicated.

And it also means that you cannot use the m-word here (on PF) without getting into trouble. :cool:
Well you're not wrong , 2-3 hours flight is indeed not that far . I might even learn German as you suggested ( not an easy task though ) . It's extraordinary how many opportunities there are there actually . Who knows maybe Germany will be more suitable to my personality too than Greece . It worths trying i guess .

Hahah , while the m-word has a bad reputation , it's used very often in Greece between friends almost unconsciously . If you use the m-word to refer to one of your friends , it means you are so close that you feel comfortable enough to insult each other without getting offended . I don't know if that makes any sense lmao.

Likes fresh_42
Avaro667 said:
Well you're not wrong , 2-3 hours flight is indeed not that far . I might even learn German as you suggested ( not an easy task though ) . It's extraordinary how many opportunities there are there actually . Who knows maybe Germany will be more suitable to my personality too than Greece . It worths trying i guess .
It is an option. I'm not saying that it is a solution to your specific situation, but it is a possibility. Hey, this EU thing has to be good for something!
Avaro667 said:
Hahah , while the m-word has a bad reputation , it's used very often in Greece between friends almost unconsciously . If you use the m-word to refer to one of your friends , it means you are so close that you feel comfortable enough to insult each other without getting offended . I don't know if that makes any sense lmao.
I know, but nevertheless, it shouldn't be used on PF. And ... I once read it here in a PM.

Likes Avaro667
fresh_42 said:
It is an option. I'm not saying that it is a solution to your specific situation, but it is a possibility. Hey, this EU thing has to be good for something!
Sure . Netherlands is also a good option as far as i know . But i don't know right now what are the + and - of each country . This comparison needs more research . EU is pretty good actually when it comes to R&D . Asia is good too , especially when it comes semiconductor technology(fabs) . And USA...well it has many options too but i don't think it's the best environment to live . I have heard very awful situations lately in cities like LA .
fresh_42 said:
I know, but nevertheless, it shouldn't be used on PF. And ... I once read it here in a PM.
I didn't intend to , so all good . In fact i don't like mixing different languages , it feels kinda unatural .

Avaro667 said:
Sure . Netherlands is also a good option as far as i know .
Germany has probably a greater variety to choose from than the Netherlands. And I will not comment on the US. They are terribly sensitive here if you say it as it is.

Avaro667 said:
In fact i don't like mixing different languages , it feels kinda unatural .
Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea how to translate Bifteki and Saganaki. I couldn't even say it in my own language.

Avaro667 said:
Doesn't stop students from China, India, Pakistan, Iran, Nepal, Bangladesh et. al. who are looking for better opportunities than what is afforded to them in their countries. Coming from an EU country you're already starting miles ahead of them.

Likes Avaro667
fresh_42 said:

The "m-word"? What word are you referring to? :oldconfused: PM me for more details.

gwnorth said:
Doesn't stop students from China, India, Pakistan, Iran, Nepal, Bangladesh et. al. who are looking for better opportunities than what is afforded to them in their countries. Coming from an EU country you're already starting miles ahead of them.
Obviously you are right . It's just that nobody wants to leave his/her country that easy . But i won't argue that it's far better to better light a candle than curse the darkness . Greece is fine only for vocations as it seems . That's a bummer , but that's how things are .

Although i'm wondering why you say Chinese people would need to leave their country . Their academic level and manufacturing industry is top notch .

Avaro667 said:
Obviously you are right . It's just that nobody wants to leave his/her country that easy . But i won't argue that it's far better to better light a candle than curse the darkness . Greece is fine only for vacations as it seems . That's a bummer , but that's how things are.
You cannot compare a relatively small population with relatively large populations and therewith economies and expect the same variety of chances. This is simply not fair. You should regard the entire EU as your home if you insist on such a comparison. This way it makes sense. For example, there are five flights to Athens tomorrow alone from "my" German airport. No big deal these days.

However, Greece will be facing enormous challenges within the next decades. If you want to contribute to that, then work on the prediction of and measures against drought, wildfires, and floods. We would all greatly appreciate any improvement in these areas, no matter how small.

Likes Avaro667
StatGuy2000 said:
The "m-word"? What word are you referring to? :oldconfused: PM me for more details.
Yeah, that one was over my head too.

gmax137 said:
Yeah, that one was over my head too.
It's a Greek version of a common slur. The English word would begin with a "w". We delete the f-word, and since I know the m-word, it's forbidden, too.

fresh_42 said:
It's a Greek version of a common slur. The English word would begin with a "w". We delete the f-word, and since I know the m-word, it's forbidden, too.
. . . so, what's the "w" word ?

hmmm27 said:
. . . so, what's the "w" word ?
Forbidden.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
gmax137 said:
In the US, I'd say this is seldom heard but pretty mild. I always thought it was a British term.
Every country has different standards. You can translate the words, but neither the meaning nor the severity.

Likes Avaro667, StatGuy2000 and gmax137
fresh_42 said:
You cannot compare a relatively small population with relatively large populations and therewith economies and expect the same variety of chances. This is simply not fair. You should regard the entire EU as your home if you insist on such a comparison. This way it makes sense. For example, there are five flights to Athens tomorrow alone from "my" German airport. No big deal these days.
Well you have a strong point there . Chinese and Indian people are a very big fraction of the total world's population . So different kind of statistics might be the same as for many countries , but numbers do vary . I believe overall EU is doing very good tbh compared to Asia and America . There is a better work/life balance and more respect to people's rights and freedom .
fresh_42 said:
However, Greece will be facing enormous challenges within the next decades. If you want to contribute to that, then work on the prediction of and measures against drought, wildfires, and floods. We would all greatly appreciate any improvement in these areas, no matter how small.
I'm not sure if it's possible to even predict such extreme phenomena . And even if you could , if the goverment doesn't care , it won't make a difference . It could definitely save lifes though . I like remote sensing very much btw but i would prefer to focus on the physical side of things ( design an antenna for example rather than doing - DSP . Without saying i would mind too much if i had to ) .

Avaro667 said:
Although i'm wondering why you say Chinese people would need to leave their country . Their academic level and manufacturing industry is top notch .
Because there is more to life than quality of universities and industries. Any further discussion would segue into politics, which would be verboten. Suffice it to say, I served as an industry mentor to about 6 Chinese students studying in the US. All of them desired to stay in the US to work after they graduated.

Likes berkeman
CrysPhys said:
Because there is more to life than quality of universities and industries. Any further discussion would segue into politics, which would be verboten. Suffice it to say, I served as an industry mentor to about 6 Chinese students studying in the US. All of them desired to stay in the US to work after they graduated.
I had a Chinese fellow student and she wanted to stay in Germany, too.

fresh_42 said:

Why are Bifteki and Saganaki OK to mention, but not Moussaka? :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes gwnorth, gmax137 and fresh_42