Given Ez, with Bz = 0, how to find other components?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the other components for both E and B when given the z component of the electric field inside a resonant cavity and setting Bz = 0. The example provided mentions using Maxwell's equations and references J. D. Jackson's book "Electrodynamics" for further details. However, the specific chapter or section to refer to is not specified in the additional readings.
carlosbgois
Hey there, I have a quick question, and it can be answered with a reference to a book chapter of article.

If I'm given the z component of the electric field inside a resonant cavity, and furthermore, if it's set that Bz = 0, how do I determine the other components for both E and B?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you can. Picture loops of B field about the Z axis in a conductive box. As the B field builds and collapses there is an electric field EZ , through each B field loop.

In the simplest case (the fundamental frequency), you have a soup can cavity with only one B field loop. You can think of the top and bottom of the cavity as the plates of a capacitor delivering charge, alternately over time, to top or bottom. The sides of the can (chicken noodle soup concentrate) are the vertical conductors. As the Z-electric field changes there must necessarily be loops of B field circling the changing electric field. One of maxwell's equations.

Thank you for your answer. I was wondering this because of the following excerpt, from a textbook example on solving Helmholtz equation for a cylindrical cavity:

"Once a solution (with Bz = 0) has been found for Ez , then the remaining components of B and E have definite values. For further details, see J. D. Jackson, Electrodynamics in Additional Readings."
But in the additional readings they don't specify any chapter or part of the book to look at.

Related to Given Ez, with Bz = 0, how to find other components?

1. What is the relationship between Ez and other components when Bz is equal to 0?

When Bz is equal to 0, Ez is considered to be the only non-zero component of the electric field. This is because the electric field is perpendicular to the magnetic field, and when Bz is 0, there is no magnetic field to affect the direction of the electric field. Therefore, Ez is the only component that needs to be considered when Bz is 0.

2. How can I find the other components of the electric field if I know Ez and Bz is equal to 0?

To find the other components of the electric field, you will need to use the Maxwell's equations. Specifically, you will need to use the equations for Faraday's law and Ampere's law. By manipulating these equations, you can solve for Ex and Ey, the other components of the electric field, in terms of Ez and the other known parameters.

3. Can I simply set Ex and Ey equal to 0 if Bz is equal to 0?

No, you cannot simply set Ex and Ey equal to 0 when Bz is equal to 0. This is because there may be other sources of the electric field, such as a changing magnetic field, that can contribute to the values of Ex and Ey. Therefore, it is important to use the Maxwell's equations to accurately calculate the values of these components.

4. What if I only know the magnitude of Ez and not its direction?

If you only know the magnitude of Ez and not its direction, you will not be able to accurately calculate the other components of the electric field. This is because the direction of Ez is needed in order to determine the direction of Ex and Ey. In this case, you will need to gather more information, such as the direction of the electric field at another point, in order to accurately calculate the other components of the electric field.

5. Can I use the same method to find the other components of the magnetic field when Ez is equal to 0?

Yes, you can use a similar method to find the other components of the magnetic field when Ez is equal to 0 and Bz is not. In this case, you will need to use the Maxwell's equations for Gauss's law and the magnetic version of Ampere's law in order to solve for the other components of the magnetic field. The process is similar to finding the other components of the electric field, but with different equations and parameters.