Given Force is 4xDisplacement, find work done

In summary: In this case, it is equal to 2m. In summary, the given force F=4x is applied on an object. The work done to move the object from x1=2m to x2=4m is not constant, so it must be calculated using calculus as W=integrated from 2 to 4 of F(x)dx. If the force also depends on time, then the power can be calculated as P=F*v. The Work-Energy Theorem states that the change in kinetic energy is equal to the work done by the force.
Govind_Balaji

Homework Statement

A force ##F=4x## is applied on an object. What is work done to move it from ##x_1=2m## to ##x_2=4m##?

A)12 J
B)24 J
C)32 J
D)48 J

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The displacement, ##x=4-2=2m##
Force, ##F=4x=4 \times 2=8N##
Work ##W=\vec F \cdot \vec x=8 \times 2 = 16 J##
But it is not listed in options. Did I miss anything? I guess it because Force was given as 4 times x, which will result in meters than Newtons.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force is not constant, so you have to calculate the work as ##W=\int_2^4F(x)dx##

F=4x means that 4 has the proper unit, N/m.

Likes Govind_Balaji
ehild said:
The force is not constant, so you have to calculate the work as ##W=\int_2^4F(x)dx##

F=4x means that 4 has the proper unit, N/m.
Horrible! Calculus is not in the portion. anyway I know some basics of it and figured out the answer as 32-8=24 J. Thank you very much.

If you haven't studied Calculus yet, plot the function F(x) and find the area under the plot between the limits x=2 and x=4. It is a trapezoid now.

Likes Govind_Balaji
I have one doubt. What is the correct definition of work?
My books say ##W=\vec F \cdot \vec x##
But ##W=\int F(x) dx## seems more reasonable.

Also what if force is given as a function of time.

##W= \vec F \cdot \vec x ## if the force is constant and ##\vec x## is the displacement.
If the force changes with the position x, the elementary work done during a small displacement ##\vec {dx} ## is ##dW=\vec F \cdot \vec {dx}##, the scalar product of the force with the small displacement.More accurately
To get the whole work you have to integrate for the whole path..

If the force depends on time, you change for the variable t:
##dW=\vec F \cdot \vec {dx}= \vec F \cdot (\vec {dx}/dt )dt=\vec F \cdot \vec {v} dt= ##

Last edited:
Likes Govind_Balaji
ehild said:
##W= \vec F \cdot \vec x ## if the force is constant and ##\vec x## is the displacement.
If the force changes with the position x, the elementary work done during a small displacement ##\vec {dx} ## is ##dW=\vec F \cdot \vec {dx}##, the scalar product of the force with the small displacement.More accurately
To get the whole work you have to integrate for the whole path..

If the force depends on time, you change for the variable t:
##dW=\vec F \cdot \vec {dx}= \vec F \cdot (\vec {dx}/dt )dt=\vec F \cdot \vec {v} dt= ##
Amazing!, how to work on the last equation? Is this correct?
$$dW=\vec F \cdot \vec v dt$$
$$\frac{dW}{dt}=\vec F \cdot \vec v$$[Can I just divide the equation by ##dt## like this one?\
$$\text{Power}=\vec F \cdot \vec v$$
Is this also right?
[tex]
\begin{align*}\\\frac{dW}{dt}&=\vec F \cdot \vec v\\\\
\frac{dW}{dt}&=\frac{m\cdot \vec{dv} }{dt}\cdot \vec v\\\\
dW&=m\cdot dv^2
\end{align*}\\
[/tex]

Actually you have to take average of displacement means x=X1+X2/2 than you find the answer it will be 24.

Govind_Balaji said:
Amazing!, how to work on the last equation? Is this correct?
$$dW=\vec F \cdot \vec v dt$$
$$\frac{dW}{dt}=\vec F \cdot \vec v$$[Can I just divide the equation by ##dt## like this one?\
$$\text{Power}=\vec F \cdot \vec v$$
Is this also right?
Yes, it is right. The power is the scalar product of force with velocity.. It is a very useful equation!

Govind_Balaji said:
[tex]
\begin{align*}\\\frac{dW}{dt}&=\vec F \cdot \vec v\\\\
\frac{dW}{dt}&=\frac{m\cdot \vec{dv} }{dt}\cdot \vec v\\\\
dW&=m\cdot dv^2
\end{align*}\\[/tex]

It is not right, as
## \vec v \cdot \frac{d \vec v}{dt} = 0.5 \frac {d(\vec v)^2} {dt}##,

So ##dW=0.5 m d(\vec v)^2= d KE##

This is the Work-Energy Theorem. The change of kinetic energy is equal to the work done by the force (resultant of all external forces) . .

Likes Govind_Balaji
Ravi4213 said:
Actually you have to take average of displacement means x=X1+X2/2 than you find the answer it will be 24.
I think x1, x2 are position rather than displacement.
Displacement is the change in position, isn't it?

Govind_Balaji said:
I think x1, x2 are position rather than displacement.
Displacement is the change in position, isn't it?
x1 and x2 are positions. The displacement is x2-x1.

Related to Given Force is 4xDisplacement, find work done

1. What is the formula for calculating work done when given a force and displacement?

The formula for calculating work done is W = F x d, where W represents the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the displacement.

2. How does the relationship between force and displacement affect the work done?

The relationship between force and displacement is directly proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other also increases. This means that if the force applied is multiplied by a certain factor, the displacement will also be multiplied by that same factor, resulting in a greater work done.

3. Can work done be negative when using the formula W = F x d?

Yes, work done can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This means that the force is doing work against the displacement, resulting in a negative value for work done.

4. In what units is work done typically measured?

Work done is typically measured in joules (J) in the SI (International System of Units) system. However, it can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or calories (cal).

5. Can the formula W = F x d be used for all types of forces and displacements?

Yes, the formula can be used for all types of forces and displacements as long as they are in the same direction. However, for more complex situations where the force and displacement are not constant, other formulas and calculations may be necessary to determine the work done.