Given the frequency and wavespeed, find k

• Thread starter JoeyBob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary: Together they determine the distance the wave has traveled and the angle at which it has traveled. Combining them would result in the same y value as if you had calculated it from the beginning.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attachment
Relevant Equations
y(x, t) = Asin(kx-wt+2pi)
First I tried looking at the units of the answer, 1/m. Frequency is also 1/s and since I also have m/s, if i divide the frequency by the wave speed I get 1/m (same units as the answer). This gave the wrong answer though.

Next I tried looking at the equation at t=0. y(x)=Asin(kx+2pi). I can then get k=-2pi/x, but I need another equation to find x. I decided to try and take the derivative of y(x) to get Axcos(kx+2pi) = -331 <-- wave velocity

The issue not though is that idk how to isolate x on this equation since its both inside cos and outside. If I take arccos of both sides it doesn't help because i get

Arccos(Axcos(kx+2pi) = arccos(-331)

Im stuck at this point. Btw the answer is supposed to be -11.75

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 98
Physics news on Phys.org
Asin(kx-wt+2pi)? Why the +2pi? Doesn't change anything.

JoeyBob said:
if i divide the frequency by the wave speed I get 1/m (same units as the answer). This gave the wrong answer though.
What numbers are you given and what answer did you get?
JoeyBob said:
take the derivative of y(x) to get Axcos(kx+2pi) = -331 <-- wave velocity
No, that gives the rate of change of y at a given (x,t). Wave speed is how fast the wave appears to move in the x direction, i.e. how fast a local max or min shifts along.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
What numbers are you given and what answer did you get?

so f=619Hz, speed of sound (in this question) = 331 m/s.

619 Hz/331m/s = 1.87 (1/m)

haruspex said:
Asin(kx-wt+2pi)? Why the +2pi? Doesn't change anything.

Youre right I guess but then at the same time it does nothing bad.

JoeyBob said:
f=619Hz
What is the relationship between that and ω?

Think about this: you want the speed at which the profile of the wave moves. That is, as a short time δt goes by, each given value of y is to be found at δx further along in the direction of travel. So your task is to find what combination of δx and δt leads to the same observed y.

haruspex said:
What is the relationship between that and ω?

Think about this: you want the speed at which the profile of the wave moves. That is, as a short time δt goes by, each given value of y is to be found at δx further along in the direction of travel. So your task is to find what combination of δx and δt leads to the same observed y.
So there's some sort of equation that relates k and f that I have to derive somehow?

JoeyBob said:
So there's some sort of equation that relates k and f that I have to derive somehow?
No, there's an equation relating k and f to the speed of the wave. You were close, but off by a constant factor. You can figure it out by the means I outlined in post #4.
Given y at some position x and time t is Asin(kx-wt), what is the change in y if you go δx to the right? What is the change in y if you look again at time δt later? What combination of these two changes would leave y unchanged?

haruspex said:
No, there's an equation relating k and f to the speed of the wave. You were close, but off by a constant factor. You can figure it out by the means I outlined in post #4.
Given y at some position x and time t is Asin(kx-wt), what is the change in y if you go δx to the right? What is the change in y if you look again at time δt later? What combination of these two changes would leave y unchanged?
I don't think I fully understand. δx would be kAcos(kx-wt) and δt would be -wAcos(kx-wt). But combining them would not leave y unchanged unless k=w. I just calculated w from the frequency and its 3889, which is not the answer.

JoeyBob said:
δx would be kAcos(kx-wt) and δt would be -wAcos(kx-wt)
You've left out the factors δx and δt.

1. What is the formula for finding k using frequency and wave speed?

The formula for finding k is k = 2πf/v, where k is the wave number, f is the frequency, and v is the wave speed.

2. How do frequency and wave speed affect the value of k?

As frequency increases, k also increases. As wave speed increases, k decreases.

3. Can k have a negative value?

Yes, k can have a negative value. This typically occurs when the wave is traveling in the negative direction, or when the wave is inverted.

4. What are the units of k?

The units of k are radians per meter (rad/m).

5. Can k be used to determine the wavelength of a wave?

Yes, the wavelength of a wave can be calculated using the formula λ = 2π/k, where λ is the wavelength and k is the wave number.