Given the metric, find the geodesic equation

In summary: It is quite straightforward.In summary, the problem is to find the geodesic equations for the given metric ##ds^2 = r^2 d\theta ^2 + dr^2##. The attempt at a solution involves using the equation ##\tau = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \sqrt{ g_{\mu\nu}(x(t)) \frac{ dx^{\mu}}{dt}\frac{dx^{\nu}}{dt} } dt##, but there is a mistake in the expansion. The correct approach is to use variational calculus and solve the Euler-Lagrange equation, which determines the conditions for a curve to find the extreme values of integrals.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

Given that ##ds^2 = r^2 d\theta ^2 + dr^2## find the geodesic equations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the ##g_{\mu\nu} =
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1& 0 \\
0 & r^2 \end{array} \right)##
Then I tried to use the equation
##\tau = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \sqrt{ g_{\mu\nu}(x(t)) \frac{ dx^{\mu}}{dt}\frac{dx^{\nu}}{dt} } dt##

Which if I expand the sum gives

##\tau = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \sqrt{ 1 + \left(\frac{ dr}{dt}\right)^2 +r^2 \left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2 }## ##dt##

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Lagrangians, which seems to be the normal way to proceed... so I get a bit stuck here. There is an example without Langrangians in the lecture notes but I don't understand what he did to get from here to his ##d\tau##. We've had two lectures on GR so far and I think I've already missed something massively important, that explains how to do this!

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:
##\tau = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \sqrt{ g_{\mu\nu}(x(t)) \frac{ dx^{\mu}}{dt}\frac{dx^{\nu}}{dt} } dt##

Which if I expand the sum gives

##\tau = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} \sqrt{ 1 + \left(\frac{ dr}{dt}\right)^2 +r^2 \left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2 }## ##dt##

The one in the square root should not be there. The metric only has two non-zero components and ##t## is a curve parameter, not a coordinate.

What you want to read up on is variational calculus. It will tell you the conditions for a curve to find the extreme values of integrals such as
$$
S = \int_a^b L(x,\dot x,\tau) \, d\tau.
$$
The condition that must be satisfied by ##L## is a differential equation on the form
$$
\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} - \frac{d}{d\tau} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot x} = 0,
$$
known as the Euler-Lagrange equation. For its derivation, you should look up any basic textbook containing variational calculus.

Related to Given the metric, find the geodesic equation

1. What is a metric?

A metric is a mathematical concept used in geometry and physics to measure distances between points in a space. It defines the rules for calculating distances and angles between points in a given space.

2. What is a geodesic?

A geodesic is the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. In other words, it is the path that minimizes the distance between two points on a curved space.

3. What is the geodesic equation?

The geodesic equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the path that a particle will follow in a given space, based on the metric of that space. It takes into account the curvature of the space and determines the path that minimizes the distance between two points.

4. How is the geodesic equation used in science?

The geodesic equation is used in various fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is used to calculate the trajectories of particles and objects in curved spaces, such as planets orbiting around a star, or light traveling through a gravitational field.

5. What are some real-world applications of the geodesic equation?

The geodesic equation has many practical applications, such as in global positioning systems (GPS) to determine the shortest route between two points on a curved Earth, in robotics for path planning, and in computer graphics for creating realistic animations of objects moving through curved spaces.