Global Positioning System / Clocks in Space

In summary, the proper time of the Earth is given by:$$d\tau_E = \sqrt{g_{00}(\vec{r}_E)}dt_E$$and the proper time of the satellite is given by:$$d\tau_S = \sqrt{g_{00}(\vec{r}_S)}dt_S$$
Markus Kahn
Homework Statement
The Global Positioning System (GPS) consists of at least 24 satellites that are orbiting the Earth at
a distance of ##h = 26'600## km from its center with a velocity of ##v\approx 3.9## km/s. All the satellites carry atomic clocks which are synchronized such that they all show the same (GPS) time. At certain time intervals, the satellites simultaneously emit a signal which carries their orbital data and the time ##t_e## when the signal was emitted.

Due to relativistic effects, the satellite clocks will run with a different speed than clocks on Earth. Assuming ##v^2,\phi << c^2 ## we have ##g_{00}=1+\frac{2 \phi}{c^{2}}, g_{i j}=-\delta_{i j},## up to ##\mathcal{O}(\frac{1}{c^{3}})## in the Newtonian limit. Thinking as an observer far away from Earth (neglecting Earth's motion), compute the relation between infinitesimal elements ##d\tau_E## of Earth coordinate time and ##d\tau_S## of satellite coordinate time. By expansion up to ##\mathcal{O}(\frac{1}{c^{3}})##, find by how much a satellite clock runs faster/slower than a clock on Earth? What is the absolute error after one day? Compare SR and GR effects.
Relevant Equations
Nothing given..
I'm a bit lost at how to exactly start this exercise... As far as I understand we need to first determine ##d\tau_E## and ##d\tau_S##.

First question: Since we can neglect the Earth's movement, can I also neglect the movement of the satellite with respect to the far away observer? If so, I don't really get this exercise, since then the signal will not be delayed, just redshifted by the gravitational field.

If I can't neglect the movement of the satellite I still think the following should hold:
$$d\tau_E = \sqrt{g_{00}(\vec{r}_E)}dt_E\quad \text{and}\quad d\tau_S = \sqrt{g_{00}(\vec{r}_S)}dt_S,$$
which means we express the proper time in terms of the times in the rest frame of Earth and satellite. The issue is, that I don't really know where to take it from here.. Is this even the right idea, or do I need to start somewhere completely different?

Physics news on Phys.org
Markus Kahn said:
First question: Since we can neglect the Earth's movement, can I also neglect the movement of the satellite with respect to the far away observer? If so, I don't really get this exercise, since then the signal will not be delayed, just redshifted by the gravitational field.

I take that to mean that you can ignore the fact that the whole system is orbitting the Sun and that the Earth is spinning. You certainly can't ignore that the satellite is in orbit and not stationary wrt the Earth.

Markus Kahn said:
I'm a bit lost at how to exactly start this exercise... As far as I understand we need to first determine ##d\tau_E## and ##d\tau_S##.

It depends on what you've been studying. You could compute the proper time in Schwarzschild coordinates of

a) something at rest on the surface of the Earth (assuming non-rotating).

b.1) something in the given circular orbit.

or

b.2) You could take gravitational time dilation and velocity-based time-dilation as complementary and simply calculate the two separately for the satellite.

You might expect, up to the accuracy you've been asked for, that these two approaches would yield the same answer.

Thank you for the answer and the hints. Up until now we have only been doing special relativity, slowly starting to move towards general relativity by introducing acceleration in inertial frames (e.g. the exercise you helped me solve last weekend about orbits of particles with constant acceleration and an external observer). So I don't really know what "Schwarzschild coordinates" are (I just checked Wikipedia, and I really don't..). If I don't read your suggestions wrong this only leaves b.2) as an option, namely calculating the velocity-based time dilation.

For the gravitational time dilation I have (for a clock at rest)
$$d\tau =\frac{ds}{c}= \sqrt{g_{\mu\nu}(x)dx^\mu dx^\nu} = \sqrt{g_{00}(x)}dt \approx \sqrt{1+\frac{2\phi(x)}{c^2}}dt.$$
This would have been my answer for the proper time of the earth, since it is at rest with respect to the mentioned observer in the exercise. But I'm a bit confused on what exactly this now has to do with the velocity of the satellite, since as far as I understand the same expression would describe the proper time of the satellite as well..

Markus Kahn said:
Thank you for the answer and the hints. Up until now we have only been doing special relativity, slowly starting to move towards general relativity by introducing acceleration in inertial frames (e.g. the exercise you helped me solve last weekend about orbits of particles with constant acceleration and an external observer). So I don't really know what "Schwarzschild coordinates" are (I just checked Wikipedia, and I really don't..). If I don't read your suggestions wrong this only leaves b.2) as an option, namely calculating the velocity-based time dilation.

$$d\tau =\frac{ds}{c}= \sqrt{g_{\mu\nu}(x)dx^\mu dx^\nu} = \sqrt{g_{00}(x)}dt \approx \sqrt{1+\frac{2\phi(x)}{c^2}}dt.$$
This would have been my answer for the proper time of the earth, since it is at rest with respect to the mentioned observer in the exercise. But I'm a bit confused on what exactly this now has to do with the velocity of the satellite, since as far as I understand the same expression would describe the proper time of the satellite as well..

The satellite additionally has uniform circular motion.

I assume you are expected to calculate the gravitational and velocity-based dilation separately.

Markus Kahn said:
$$d\tau =\frac{ds}{c}= \sqrt{g_{\mu\nu}(x)dx^\mu dx^\nu}$$
For the satellite, pick a point on the orbit where the satellite is moving in the x-direction direction such that during the coordinate time interval ##dt##, you have ##dy = 0## and ##dz = 0##. Write out ##\sqrt{g_{\mu\nu}(x)dx^\mu dx^\nu}## in terms of ##dt## and ##dx##.

What is the Global Positioning System (GPS)?

The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-based navigation system that provides location and time information anywhere on Earth. It consists of a network of 24 satellites orbiting the Earth, ground control stations, and GPS receivers.

How does the GPS work?

The GPS satellites continuously transmit radio signals that include their precise location and the current time. GPS receivers on Earth receive these signals and use the information to calculate their own location and time.

What is the role of clocks in space in the GPS system?

Clocks in space are essential for the GPS system to function accurately. The satellites use atomic clocks that are synchronized with each other to precisely measure the time it takes for their signals to reach receivers on Earth. This allows the receivers to calculate their distance from the satellites and determine their location.

Why are atomic clocks used in GPS satellites?

Atomic clocks are used in GPS satellites because they are extremely accurate. They use the natural vibrations of atoms to measure time, which is much more precise than traditional clocks. This level of accuracy is necessary for the GPS system to provide accurate location and time information.

What are some common uses of GPS?

GPS is commonly used for navigation, whether it's on a smartphone or in a car. It is also used in a wide range of industries, such as aviation, agriculture, and transportation. GPS is also used for surveying, mapping, and tracking purposes.