Global solution to parallel transport equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of parallel transport of a vector along a curve on a manifold with a connection field. It is stated that if the corresponding curvature is non-zero, then a globally parallel vector field cannot exist on the manifold. The equation that defines parallel transport is also mentioned and it is concluded that the existence of a global solution is determined by the Riemann curvature. It is also noted that a set of parallel fields that form a basis at every point cannot exist.
Jianbing_Shao
In general relativity, a vector parallel along a curve on a manifold M with a connection field Γ can be expressed:
∂v+Γv=0
We know that if the curvature corresponding to Γ is non-zero, which means if we parallel transport a vector along different paths between two points, we will get different result, so we can say we can not get a globally parallel vector field on the manifold.
Does this conclusion means that to the parallel transport equation, if curvature of Γ is not zero, then we can not find a global vector field on manifold M to satisfy the parallel equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation that defines parallel transport is
$$\forall s\in[0,1]:\ \nabla_{\dot \gamma(s)}\mathbf X=0$$
for parallel transport along a curve ##\gamma:[0,1]\to M## where ##M## is a manifold and ##\mathbf X## is a vector field on ##M##.

So a solution to the equation needs to relate to a specific curve.

Is your question perhaps asking whether there is some vector field ##\mathbf X## on ##M## such that for every curve ##\gamma## the equation is satisfied? If so then I'm pretty sure the answer is No, because by parallel transporting a vector around a nontrivial loop it will be changed, so that the mapping via ##X## from the start point to the vector bundle is multivalued and hence not a function.

Likes Jianbing_Shao
It means you cannot find a set of global vector fields that are parallel and form a complete basis of the tangent space at each point. A priori, there might exist a smaller number of global parallel fields.

andrewkirk said:
The equation that defines parallel transport is
$$\forall s\in[0,1]:\ \nabla_{\dot \gamma(s)}\mathbf X=0$$
for parallel transport along a curve ##\gamma:[0,1]\to M## where ##M## is a manifold and ##\mathbf X## is a vector field on ##M##.

So a solution to the equation needs to relate to a specific curve.

Is your question perhaps asking whether there is some vector field ##\mathbf X## on ##M## such that for every curve ##\gamma## the equation is satisfied? If so then I'm pretty sure the answer is No, because by parallel transporting a vector around a nontrivial loop it will be changed, so that the mapping via ##X## from the start point to the vector bundle is multivalued and hence not a function.

Yes ,I also think so, from the property of Riemman curvature, I think only when the Rieman curvature is zero, then we can find a global solution (a global vector field v(x)) satisfy the equation. So I can say the existence of a global solution of the parallel transport equation is determined by the Riemman curvature.
Ok then to the similar equations such as metric compatibility condition \nabla g=0, If given a connection firstly, then perhaps a global metric field satisfy the equation also does not exist?

Orodruin said:
It means you cannot find a set of global vector fields that are parallel and form a complete basis of the tangent space at each point. A priori, there might exist a smaller number of global parallel fields.
A globally parallel transport vector field does not exist, but we can define local parallel transport of a vector.

Jianbing_Shao said:
A globally parallel transport vector field does not exist, but we can define local parallel transport of a vector.
It is unclear what you are trying to say. A parallel field ##X## is a field such that ##\nabla_Y X = 0## for all vector fields ##Y##. Such a field may exist even if the curvature is non-zero, but it depends on the connection and the manifold. What cannot exist is a set of parallel fields that form a basis at every point.

Jianbing_Shao said:
I think only when the Rieman curvature is zero, then we can find a global solution (a global vector field v(x)) satisfy the equation. So I can say the existence of a global solution of the parallel transport equation is determined by the Riemman curvature.
It is determined by the curvature, yes, but the curvature need not be identically zero for a single such field to exist.

Likes Jianbing_Shao
Orodruin said:
It is unclear what you are trying to say. A parallel field ##X## is a field such that ##\nabla_Y X = 0## for all vector fields ##Y##. Such a field may exist even if the curvature is non-zero, but it depends on the connection and the manifold. What cannot exist is a set of parallel fields that form a basis at every point.

I mean that if we parallel a vector along different paths from a point to another, then we will get the same result, so the parallel transport is independent of choice of path, From the definition of curvature, the curvature should be zero. so perhaps I can not understand the if the curvature is non-zero, then such a vector field can exist. Would you mind giving me an example?

' What cannot exist is a set of parallel fields that form a basis at every point' I also think this is right if curvature is non-zero.

Jianbing_Shao said:
I mean that if we parallel a vector along different paths from a point to another, then we will get the same result, so the parallel transport is independent of choice of path, From the definition of curvature, the curvature should be zero.
This is the point. You can only draw this conclusion if the above is true for all vectors. For a single vector field, it is sufficient that the corresponding components of the curvature is zero. You cannot draw the conclusion that ##R(X,Y)Z = 0## just because you know that ##R(X,Y)W = 0##, where ##Z## and ##W## are different vector fields.

Jianbing_Shao said:
Would you mind giving me an example?
Take ##\mathbb R^3## in spherical coordinates and exclude the origin. Equip it with a connection for which the radial ##\partial_r## is parallel and ##\partial_\theta## and ##\partial_\varphi## behave in the same way as they would on the corresponding sphere. This connection has a non-zero curvature, but a parallel field ##\partial_r## exists.

Orodruin said:
This is the point. You can only draw this conclusion if the above is true for all vectors. For a single vector field, it is sufficient that the corresponding components of the curvature is zero. You cannot draw the conclusion that ##R(X,Y)Z = 0## just because you know that ##R(X,Y)W = 0##, where ##Z## and ##W## are different vector fields.

Yes,,from the differential equations I have given above ##\partial_\mu V^\nu +\Gamma_{\mu\lambda}^\nu V^\lambda=0 ##, and if a vector field##V^\nu## can satisfy the equation above, then it must fulfill the parallel transport equation along an arbitrary path ##\gamma##:##\nabla_\gamma V=0##. So if such a vector field ##V^\mu##exists, then we can get it by parallel transport a vector(but not a vector field)along different path on the manifold and get a vector field. so we can draw a conclusion that the curvature should be zero, the reason is if curvature is nonzero, then:
because by parallel transporting a vector around a nontrivial loop it will be changed, so that the mapping via ##X## from the start point to the vector bundle is multivalued and hence not a function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orodruin said:
Orodruin said:
This is the point. You can only draw this conclusion if the above is true for all vectors. For a single vector field, it is sufficient that the corresponding components of the curvature is zero. You cannot draw the conclusion that ##R(X,Y)Z = 0## just because you know that ##R(X,Y)W = 0##, where ##Z## and ##W## are different vector fields.Perhaps I can understand the difference between us: a vector parallel transport along a path, or a vector field parallel transport along a path.
To the equation ##\partial_\mu V^\nu +\Gamma_{\mu\lambda}^\nu V^\lambda=0 ##, if given a path ##\gamma## on the manifold, if we parallel transport a vector from ##\gamma_(t_0)## to ##\gamma_(t)##, The vector field we get can be described in such a way ##P\left\{\exp\left[\int^t_{t_0}-\Gamma_{\mu\lambda}^\nu \frac{dx^\mu}{ds}ds\right]\right\}V^\lambda(t_0) ##
Here P indicates 'path ordered', the same as 'time ordered' in QFT.
But if you parallel transport a vector field ##V^\mu## along the path ##\gamma_(t)##, The new vector field you can get can be expressed as:
##V^\mu(t_0)+\int^t_{t_0}(\partial_\nu V^\mu+\Gamma_{\nu\lambda}^\mu V^\lambda ) \frac{dx^\nu}{ds}ds##
Because vector field ##V^\mu## is known to us, so it is only determined by a integration, the difference between the two expression is obvious.

Jianbing_Shao said:
then we can get it by parallel transport a vector(but not a vector field)
You seem to be having a problem of nomenclature here. A parallel vector field by definition is a vector field ##X## that satisfies ##\nabla_Y X = 0## everywhere for all ##Y##. The reason we introduce parallel transport is that it is generally not possible to construct parallel fields.

Also, you are wrong that you can draw the conclusion that the curvature is zero from the existence of just one parallel field. I suggest you try to work out the example I gave you. All you can do is conclude that some components of the curvature are zero. This is generally not sufficient to conclude that the entire tensor is zero.

Let us say that we have a vector field ##V## for which it is (locally) true that a parallel transport around an infinitesimal loop gives back the same vector up to corrections of third order and higher. It is then true that ##R(X,Y)V = 0## at that point for all ##X## and ##Y##. The curvature tensor generally has ##N^2(N^2-1)/12## independent components, where ##N## is the dimension of the manifold. However, since you only have access to ##N^3## relations (actually fewer due to the anti-symmetries of the tensor) on the form ##R(X,Y)V = 0##, you simply cannot compute all of your curvature components from this knowledge.

Now, in two dimensions, the curvature tensor has only one component and so it should come as no surprise to you that my example was three-dimensional.

1. What is a global solution to the parallel transport equation?

A global solution to the parallel transport equation is a solution that is valid for all points along a given path on a curved surface. It takes into account the curvature of the surface and ensures that the transported vector remains parallel to itself at each point along the path.

2. Why is a global solution important in parallel transport?

A global solution is important because it ensures that the transported vector remains parallel to itself at every point along the path, even on curved surfaces. This is essential in many scientific and engineering applications, such as in navigation systems or in understanding the behavior of particles in curved spacetime.

3. How is the global solution to the parallel transport equation calculated?

The global solution is usually calculated using differential geometry and differential equations. This involves considering the curvature of the surface and using mathematical techniques to find a solution that satisfies the parallel transport equation at every point along the path.

4. What are the practical applications of the global solution to the parallel transport equation?

The global solution to the parallel transport equation has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used in navigation systems, the study of celestial bodies and their motion, and in computer graphics to accurately depict the movement of objects on curved surfaces.

5. Are there any limitations to the global solution to the parallel transport equation?

While the global solution is a powerful tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of vectors on curved surfaces, it does have limitations. It assumes a continuous and smooth surface, and may not be accurate in situations where there are sudden changes in curvature or discontinuities in the surface.