Golf Balls and differential equations

In summary: I need to be able to solve for v_{y} in order to model the trajectory.In summary, the equations for velocity as a function of time do not include lift, and the range of the golf ball can be determined by finding the x-range as a function of the angle θ.
Hercuflea
Hey Everybody, I am supposed to model the trajectory of a golf ball. I have been given the equations for velocity as a function of its derivative with respect to time. I am supposed to find the x-range as a function of the angle θ. (Pardon my bad latex skills, I will fix mistakes):

Homework Statement

These are the equations which have a mathematical solution, and they do not include lift. -.25 is the drag coefficient on the golf ball.

-.25v[itex]_{x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dv_{x}}{dt}[/itex]
and
-.25v[itex]_{y}[/itex] -g = [itex]\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}[/itex]

Therefore

[itex]\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}[/itex] +.25 v[itex]_{y}[/itex] = -g where g is the Earth's acceleration due to gravity.
and
[itex]\frac{dv_{x}}{dt}[/itex] +.25v[itex]_{x}[/itex] = 0

Homework Equations

Integrating factor: e[itex]^{\int P(t) dt}[/itex]
x range = v[itex]_{i}[/itex]cosθ * t

The Attempt at a Solution

For v[itex]_{x}[/itex]:

I(t) = e[itex]^{\int P(t) dt}[/itex]
I(t) = e[itex]^{.25t + k_{1}}[/itex]

[itex]\int(d e^{.25t}e^{k_{1}}v_{x} /dt)[/itex] = [itex]\int 0 dt[/itex]

e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex]e[itex]^{k_{1}}[/itex]v[itex]_{x}[/itex] = C[itex]_{1}[/itex]

v[itex]_{x}[/itex] = C[itex]_{1}[/itex]e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex] because e[itex]^{k_{1}}[/itex] is just a constant too.

v[itex]_{i}[/itex]cos([itex]\Theta[/itex]) = C[itex]_{1}[/itex]e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex]

I use the statutory initial velocity of a golf ball of 76.2 m/s.

cos([itex]\Theta[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{C_{1}}{76.2}[/itex]e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex]

[itex]\Theta[/itex] = cos[itex]^{-1}[/itex]([itex]\frac{C_{1}}{76.2}[/itex]e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex])

For v[itex]_{y}[/itex]: (skipping the prelim stuff)

e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex]e[itex]^{k_{2}}[/itex]v[itex]_{y}[/itex] = -gt + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]

v[itex]_{y}[/itex] = e[itex]^{-.25t}[/itex]e[itex]^{-k_{2}}[/itex](-gt + C[itex]_{2}[/itex])

v[itex]_{i}[/itex]sin(θ) = e[itex]^{-.25t}[/itex]e[itex]^{-k_{2}}[/itex](-gt + C[itex]_{2}[/itex])

sin(θ) = [itex]\frac{e^{-.25t}e^{-k_{2}}(-gt + C_{2})}{76.2}[/itex]

θ = sin[itex]^{-1}[/itex]([itex]\frac{e^{-.25t}e^{-k_{2}}(-gt + C_{2})}{76.2}[/itex])

These equations for θ seem pretty nasty, not to mention I have no way of knowing the Constants because I only know the absolute value of the velocity, not the components.
Also, these equations I have found for θ have seemingly nothing to do with range, they are a function of time. Any hints? Should I use another solution method for the v[itex]_{y}[/itex] differential equation? Laplace Transform?

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried to solve v[itex]_{y}[/itex] using Laplace Transforms.

I got

v[itex]_{y}[/itex] = e[itex]^{-.25t}[/itex](v[itex]_{y}[/itex](0) +4g) - 4g

I still don't know v[itex]_{y}[/itex](0) because the angle can vary.

Getting closer, can someone tell me if there is a way to write initial velocity in y as a function of θ?

1. How do differential equations relate to golf balls?

Differential equations are a mathematical tool used to model and study the motion and behavior of objects, including golf balls. By using differential equations, we can predict the trajectory and flight of a golf ball based on factors such as initial velocity, spin, and air resistance.

2. What is the significance of dimples on a golf ball in relation to differential equations?

The dimples on a golf ball create a turbulent boundary layer, which interacts with the air around the ball and creates lift. This lift is a crucial factor in the flight and distance of a golf ball, and is taken into account in differential equations modeling the ball's motion.

3. How can differential equations be used to optimize a golf ball's performance?

By using differential equations, we can manipulate the factors that affect a golf ball's flight, such as initial conditions and air resistance, to optimize its performance. This includes maximizing distance, accuracy, and spin control.

4. Are there any limitations to using differential equations in relation to golf balls?

While differential equations are a powerful tool, they are only as accurate as the data and assumptions used in their models. Factors such as wind, temperature, and surface conditions can also affect a golf ball's flight and may not be fully accounted for in the equations.

5. Can differential equations be used to analyze the behavior of golf balls on different surfaces?

Yes, differential equations can be used to model the behavior of golf balls on different surfaces, such as grass, sand, and water. By adjusting the initial conditions and parameters in the equations, we can predict how a golf ball will bounce, roll, and react on different surfaces.