Good book on entropy and information theory

In summary, entropy is a measure of disorder or randomness in a system and is used in information theory to quantify uncertainty. It helps us understand the amount of information needed to describe or transmit a system. There are two types of entropy: Shannon entropy in information theory and Gibbs entropy in thermodynamics. Applications of information theory and entropy can be found in data compression, cryptography, and the study of complex systems. Some recommended books for learning about entropy and information theory include "Introduction to Information Theory" by David J.C. MacKay, "Entropy Demystified: The Second Law Reduced to Plain Common Sense" by Arieh Ben-Naim, and "The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood" by James Gleick.
Bassalisk
Hello,

I would like someone to suggest me a good book on entropy and information theory.

I need something that explains these subjects intuitively, rather than all mathematics.

I have fairly strong knowledge of mathematics behind entropy, but all is kind of scrambled what is what.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
"An Introduction to Information Theory: Symbols, Signals and Noise" by Pierce

Thank you kind sir, will definitely try to find it at my college.

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In information theory, it is used to quantify the uncertainty or unpredictability of a message or data set.

How does entropy relate to information theory?

In information theory, entropy is used to measure the amount of information contained in a message or data set. It helps us understand the amount of uncertainty or randomness in a system, and how much information is needed to describe or transmit that system.

What is the difference between Shannon entropy and Gibbs entropy?

Shannon entropy, also known as information entropy, is used in information theory to measure the amount of uncertainty in a message or data set. Gibbs entropy, on the other hand, is used in thermodynamics to measure the amount of disorder or randomness in a physical system.

What are some real-world applications of information theory and entropy?

Information theory and entropy have various applications in fields such as data compression, cryptography, and communication systems. They are also used in the study of complex systems, such as in biology, economics, and social sciences.

What are some recommended books for learning about entropy and information theory?

Some popular books on entropy and information theory include "Introduction to Information Theory" by David J.C. MacKay, "Entropy Demystified: The Second Law Reduced to Plain Common Sense" by Arieh Ben-Naim, and "The Information: A History, A Theory, A Flood" by James Gleick.