Good books on Mathematical methods

In summary: It's the perfect book for someone who wants to get a good understanding of mathematical methods and how they're used in physics. I also heartily recommend this book!
Phy4life
Hello, I'm a first year Physics student. I've decided to take on mathematical methods and be as thorough with it as I possibly can.
I am looking for books that cover vector calculus, Orthogonal transformations, tensors, curvilinear co-ordinates, index notations and the dirac-delta function in details.
I am currently using:
Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Boas,
Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken and Weber (my favourite till now),
Vector Analysis by Spiegel

Are these enough to get me through? If you have other books in mind that may be helpful, please mention. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Boas, this book is a gem.

I'm not being anal-retentive, but the proper title for Boas's text is "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". This book has been discussed, reviewed, and recommended (especially by me) several times in various threads.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm not being anal-retentive, but the proper title for Boas's text is "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". This book has been discussed, reviewed, and recommended (especially by me) several times in various threads.

Zz.

I also heartily recommend this book! The explanation in the book is very clear and instructive that even as a beginner I've rather few problem in doing the exercises and understanding the concept. If you are interested with the some theory of the mathematics this book also offer some of that, meaning you don't spend the entire books solving equations without knowing the important theorem behind it.

Phy4life said:
...curvilinear co-ordinates...

Here is one, devoted to curvilinear coordinates on surfaces, with applications related to mechanics of shells. Importantly, it contains a significant number of ready-to-use source codes in C/C++:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0646594044/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Phy4life said:
the dirac-delta function

I think that it is impossible to understand the dirac-delta without knowing the distribution's theory. So I recommend Schwatz's "mathematics for the physical sciences". It explain very clearly fourier's transform too.

Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Boas is pure gold.

What are some good books on Mathematical methods?

Some good books on Mathematical methods are "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence, "Essential Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence, "Mathematical Methods in Engineering and Physics" by Gary N. Felder and Kenny M. Felder, and "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig.

What topics are typically covered in books on Mathematical methods?

Books on Mathematical methods typically cover topics such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, and vector calculus. They may also cover numerical methods, probability and statistics, and special functions.

Are there any beginner-friendly books on Mathematical methods?

Yes, there are several beginner-friendly books on Mathematical methods, such as "Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" by Donald A. McQuarrie, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists: A Comprehensive Guide" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber, and "Mathematics for Physicists" by Susan Lea.

Are there any books on Mathematical methods specifically for engineers?

Yes, there are books on Mathematical methods specifically for engineers, such as "Mathematical Methods in Engineering and Physics" by Gary N. Felder and Kenny M. Felder, "Engineering Mathematics" by John Bird, and "Applied Mathematics for Engineers and Physicists" by Louis A. Pipes and Lawrence R. Harvill.

Do these books include practical applications of Mathematical methods?

Yes, many books on Mathematical methods include practical applications and examples from various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also often include exercises and problems for students to practice applying these methods.