Mathematical methods for physicists by Arfken and Weber

In summary: Why do you want to go for a more rigorous study of classical mechanics? What are your goals?In summary, if you want to study mathematical methods for physicists, I would recommend either Boas' textbook or Stone and Goldbart's book.
PrathameshR
I'm searching for a good online lecture series to go with the book Mathematical methods for physicists by arfken and Weber . Tell me If you know about such series . Other general tips on starting rigourous mathematical physics are also welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
PrathameshR said:
the book Mathematical methods for physicists by arfken and Weber
PrathameshR said:
Other general tips on starting rigourous mathematical physics are also welcome.
I would not recommend Arfken and Weber. I was obliged to use it as an undergraduate physics student and it made me sad: sloppy mathematics, little physical insight, the worst of two worlds.

A lot of physicists here seem to like Hassani's book on mathematical physics, see this thread, where A&W is also mentioned, but not favorably.

Likes vanhees71
Krylov said:
I would not recommend Arfken and Weber. I was obliged to use it as an undergraduate physics student and it made me sad: sloppy mathematics, little physical insight, the worst of two worlds.

A lot of physicists here seem to like Hassani's book on mathematical physics, see this thread, where A&W is also mentioned, but not favorably.
Thanks for the help

Krylov said:

Do you know of any lecture series?

PrathameshR said:
Do you know of any lecture series?
No, sorry, I am more a book person, but I am sure others will know. Did you look around already? Also, is there a specific topic that you are interested in (such as mathematics for classical mechanics, or QM, or...) or is your purpose to learn general mathematical methodology for physicists?

Krylov said:
No, sorry, I am more a book person, but I am sure others will know. Did you look around already? Also, is there a specific topic that you are interested in (such as mathematics for classical mechanics, or QM, or...) or is your purpose to learn general mathematical methodology for physicists?
I studied classical mechanics through lectures by Leonard susskind but when I started to study using Goldstein I got stuck at use of Lagrange's multipliers in non holonomic constraints so I thought it might be better to first get equipped with mathematical methods. So I started studying mathematical methods for physics. I'm familiar with linear algebra, single variable/multivariable/vector calculus, differential equations, integral transforms etc. After completing the mathematical methods I wish to go for a more rigourous study of classical mechanics , then quantum and statistical mechanics and electrodynamics etc

Don't use Goldstein for this very topic! He discusses not the correct treatment of non-holonomic constraints. Have a look at vol. I of Landau&Lifshitz.

Likes atyy
Re: Lectures:

Prof. Balakrishnan, covers a number of topics. I'm not sure how he picked which.

Carl Bender, who wrote a great book about asymptotics and perturbation theory. The focus of these lectures is more on those methods.

You want Mathematical Methods in the Physics Sciences by Mary Boas.

Boas' textbook should be the first you should look at. If you master everything in Boas, you have an excellent foundation, and you can search more specific works if you want to go more advance into a specific topic.

Boas' textbook does not require a study guide or another course. It is well-written and well-structured enough you can just dive in.

In contrast, Arkfen's book is a nightmare; it's basically an encyclopedia. Most useless book I have on my shelf.

Likes vanhees71
PrathameshR said:
I studied classical mechanics through lectures by Leonard susskind but when I started to study using Goldstein I got stuck at use of Lagrange's multipliers in non holonomic constraints so I thought it might be better to first get equipped with mathematical methods. So I started studying mathematical methods for physics. I'm familiar with linear algebra, single variable/multivariable/vector calculus, differential equations, integral transforms etc. After completing the mathematical methods I wish to go for a more rigourous study of classical mechanics , then quantum and statistical mechanics and electrodynamics etc

But Lagrange's multiplier is a topic covered in calculus texts, it is usually covered in the multivariable part and you said you covered multivariable calculus already. I think just study that part in multivariable calculus and you'll have no problem.

1. What is the main purpose of "Mathematical methods for physicists" by Arfken and Weber?

The main purpose of this book is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to the mathematical methods used in physics. It covers a wide range of topics including calculus, differential equations, complex analysis, vector analysis, and group theory, all of which are essential for understanding and solving problems in physics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in mathematics and physics?

Yes, this book is suitable for both beginners and advanced students in mathematics and physics. It starts with basic concepts and gradually builds up to more advanced topics, making it accessible for readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

3. Does this book include real-world applications of the mathematical methods discussed?

Yes, this book includes numerous real-world applications of the mathematical methods discussed. The authors provide examples and exercises that demonstrate how these methods are used to solve problems in various areas of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any additional resources available to supplement the book?

Yes, the book is accompanied by a website that includes additional resources such as solutions to selected problems, MATLAB codes, and supplementary material for further reading. The website also has a forum where readers can discuss and ask questions about the book.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for future use?

Yes, this book can serve as a valuable reference for future use. It includes a comprehensive index and a list of symbols and notations used, making it easy to find specific information. Additionally, the clear and concise explanations make it a useful resource for reviewing mathematical concepts and techniques.