Good graduate programs (but not top universities) for physics?

In summary, The author went to a place that offered a good salary and a great campus. He enjoyed teaching and interacting with the students.
Vitani1
Hello... new here. Can anyone give me advice or some information on what universities they think are good for a graduate program in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you from?

You can always Google "top universities for physics" or some variation of that.

Usually though, when you're looking for a university for graduate school, it's important to be thinking about what particular sub-field you're interested in. General rankings, even ones that are subject-specific, are based on metrics that may or may not be important to you as a student. General opinions, are also of limited value when someone doesn't know you or your particular circumstances and interests. This is often why it's a good idea to talk about this with professors that you know and who know you.

Likes DaveE and mcastillo356
Sorry this has taken a few days. I'm from Florida. It is easy to google search and find top universities but I was wondering about a "good" university that doesn't have all of the excess requirements that top universities have. In terms of subfields I'm not entirely sure yet but astrophysics is a possibility.

Can you characterize a few of these "excess" requirements?

I guess what I mean to say is "strict" or something like this. By excess, I meant higher GRE scores, higher GPA, etc. (for example when comparing Harvard to a decent university in Connecticut it is obvious that my chances of getting into this school in Connecticut is by default easier). I don't mean to rephrase my question though because my goal is not to find a school that is easy to get into. My goal is to find a decent school with a good reputation and a good program which is not a top school. There are hundreds of these schools but I figured I'd ask the commonfolk if any came to mind. I'm currently attending Florida State University which is in the top 60 schools (I think)

:wink::smile:Choose the nearest and the cheaper. The school is you.
I've done so.
It's a personal opinion.
Good luck!

Vitani1 said:
There are hundreds of these schools

There are not. There are 160 physics PhD granting institutions in the US.

I think your question is way too vague to be answered. Take away the top 10 and 150 are left. What information have you provided to help us narrow down the 150?

Likes hutchphd
I went where they offered me the best compensation. It did not hurt that it was a beautiful campus filled with many good looking women and friendly folks and I was very well treated generally .
I suppose the thing I missed most was having only a couple of folks among my physics student peers who were better (IMHO) than I at physics. Of course one ended up healing the Hubble, so that was fun. And one good friend was on the Forbes 400 list for a while. And I got to teach a lot, formally and informally.
It worked out well for me, but one never knows about roads not taken!

1. What are some good graduate programs for physics?

There are many good graduate programs for physics that may not be considered top universities. Some examples include University of California-Santa Barbara, University of Maryland-College Park, and University of Texas-Austin.

2. How do I determine if a graduate program is good for physics?

There are several factors to consider when determining if a graduate program is good for physics. These include the faculty and their research areas, the availability of funding and resources, the success of past graduates, and the overall reputation of the program.

3. What are some top-ranked graduate programs for physics?

Some of the top-ranked graduate programs for physics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, and California Institute of Technology.

4. Are there any benefits to attending a good graduate program for physics that is not a top university?

Yes, there are several benefits to attending a good graduate program for physics that may not be considered a top university. These may include smaller class sizes, more individualized attention from faculty, and potentially lower tuition costs.

5. How can I find a good graduate program for physics that fits my research interests?

One way to find a good graduate program for physics that fits your research interests is to look at the faculty and their areas of expertise. You can also reach out to current graduate students or alumni to learn more about their experiences and research opportunities within the program.