Goodbye TI-85, Hello HP 50g: A Calculator Review

In summary, the conversation discussed the death of a beloved calculator, the TI-85, and the search for a new one. The speaker considered the TI-89 Titanium but ultimately chose the HP 50g due to its impressive features, such as RPN and the ability to program in C. They also mentioned its well thought out programming language, RPL, and the usefulness of being able to see intermediate steps in calculations. The speaker highly recommends the HP 50g, despite its higher learning curve, and mentions that it is more affordable than the TI-89 Titanium. They also mention using Excel and a calculator more often for their work, rather than Mathematica.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
My beloved TI-85 died. It had served me quite well for 16 years, and I still think it's one of the very best calculators TI ever put out. But after changing the button battery, for some reason it started to refuse to display anything, eventually reaching the point where it wouldn't even turn on.

So I started casting about for a new calculator, since I used mine at work nearly every day. I thought of the TI-89 Titanium. But then I remembered that HP had a good line of calculators - at least they did. I do not think they have maintained their quality quite so well as they used; but their latest offering, the 50g, was quite impressive. What turned the tide for me to switch from TI to HP was the Daniel Doherty review on Amazon. I envisioned myself stepping through a complex calculation with RPN and the HP stack, and thought it would be a good tool. I've definitely found that to be the case. Seeing all your intermediate steps is incredibly helpful! I find that more helpful than getting the expression to look exactly like it does on the page (and the 50g can do algebraic notation more like the TI's, if you like, although I think the real power of the HP is RPN and the stack). Each atomic calculation done on the stack I can review for whether or not it's reasonable, before moving on to the next one. I like!

Its programming features seem quite well thought out. You can program the thing in C, if you so desire! But even its regular language, RPL, seems well thought out. I have been able to write a simple script or two to make things a bit quicker to access, such as the units menu, which I will likely use constantly.

All in all, I'd highly recommend the HP 50g. It's probably the most powerful calculator on the market. It does have a slightly higher learning curve than the TI, but I would definitely say it's worth it.

Disclaimer: my father-in-law bought me my HP 50g; but even then, it's less expensive than the less powerful TI-89 Titanium even if I had had to buy it myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice review. It looks pretty similar in its layout to the TI-89 from what I remember. I bought a TI-89 in 2005 and haven't used it much since. I prefer the TI-83 Plus actually for basic graphing and calculator use. Navigating the 89 was a bit of a pain. It's most appealing feature was solving indefinite integrals and checking derivatives.

Being able to program in C is a great feature. I'm curious though as to why you don't use Mathematica at work mostly or something on a laptop? Is it faster on a handheld device?

It's faster for quick computations than Mathematica, mainly because of "instant on". I do use Mathematica at work from time to time. However, I use Excel and a calculator much more often for what I do.

1. What is the main difference between the TI-85 and the HP 50g calculators?

The main difference between the TI-85 and the HP 50g calculators is the operating system. The TI-85 uses a basic operating system, while the HP 50g uses an advanced RPL programming language, making it more versatile and powerful.

2. Is the HP 50g calculator suitable for all levels of math and science?

Yes, the HP 50g calculator is suitable for all levels of math and science. It has a wide range of functions and capabilities, making it useful for everything from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus and physics.

3. How user-friendly is the HP 50g calculator?

The HP 50g calculator has a steeper learning curve compared to the TI-85, as it uses a more complex programming language. However, once you become familiar with the system, it is highly intuitive and customizable, making it very user-friendly.

4. Can the HP 50g calculator be used for standardized tests?

The HP 50g calculator is not allowed on most standardized tests, such as the SAT and ACT. However, it can be used on some exams, such as the AP Calculus and AP Physics tests. It is always best to check with the testing organization beforehand.

5. Is the HP 50g calculator worth the higher price compared to the TI-85?

This ultimately depends on your needs and preferences. The HP 50g calculator is more expensive than the TI-85, but it also offers more advanced features and capabilities. If you are a serious math or science student or professional, the investment in the HP 50g may be worth it for its versatility and power.